Ctrl + Alt + # also overrides AltGR + #

Options
grossolini
grossolini
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Hi,
I noticed that while the main app is open and unlocked, I can't type the # symbol with a French or Spanish keyboard layout: it brings the main 1Password app to the foreground, as if I used the Ctrl Alt # shorcut.
Regards,

1Password Version: 6.0.183d
Extension Version: n/a
OS Version: Win10 Insider Preview rs1_release 14393
Sync Type: n/a

Comments

• mohamedosman
    mohamedosman
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @grossolini, finding a good fit for the keyboard shortcut can be tough because of all the various keyboards and layouts available to us. This is why we gave you the power to customize the shortcut to better fit your needs. Just go to "settings > options" and under "Keybaord shortcuts > Activate app by: " you can change the default # to something that better suits you. Also, let us know what shortcut works better for you and we'll try to implement it by default for your keyboard layout.

• grossolini
    grossolini
    Community Member
    Options

What I meant was that it was supposed to be Ctrl + Alt + configurable key, but in reality simply pressing AltGr + KEY also triggers the same event.
    This prevents me from using the AltGr key as long as 1Password is open.

• MikeT
    edited August 2016
    Options

Hi @grossolini,

That's because Windows map Control + Alt the same as AltGr on certain layouts. We're asking Windows to translate it for us when using a non-English keyboard and on certain keyboard layouts, Control + Alt is the same as AltGr. What you're seeing is the correct behavior.

If you need to change it to something else, change the shortcut in 1Password's Settings > Options. If you set it to Control + Alt + 1, that means it'll be AltGr + 1.

• grossolini
    grossolini
    Community Member
    Options

Oh, ok then. Thanks for the tip.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @grossolini,

You're welcome. We'll try to explain about AltGr/Control + Alt in the docs for the shortcuts.

Beside this, do you think there's a better default we should be using for French/Spanish? We default to AltGr + # as Control + Alt + \ was difficult to use on Spanish/German layouts, so the customers suggested we use Control + Alt + # or AltGr + #.

• grossolini
    grossolini
    Community Member
    Options

One key that's rarely used but still easily accessible is the international currency symbol, which happens to be next to AltGr :
    ¤

• MikeT
    Options

We'll look at that one, thank you!

• grossolini
    grossolini
    Community Member
    Options

I ended up removing the shorctut, since I usually use the system tray anyway, or Mini inside the browser.
    By the way, I saw in today's update release notes that there is a new shortcut Ctrl + Alt + \ ? I can't find it in the settings to change/disable it too, since that key is also used a lot in Windows folder paths (command line).

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@grossolini: It isn't currently possible to change the 1Password mini keyboard shortcut independently from the login filling shortcut (Settings > Options > Keyboard Shortcuts), but it's something we may be able to add in the future.

• grossolini
    grossolini
    Community Member
    Options

Are they the same shortcut? I saw a different key in the release notes: # against \

• Sorry for the confusion, for majority of people it's ctrl+[alt+]\ When app detects that primary keyboard layout is German or Spanish, it defaults to ctrl+[alt+]#. White it's not possible to change them independently you can change what key is used \ or # or other by going to settings/options. We plan to add system hot key editor later.

This discussion has been closed.