False positive or something to be concerned about?

Options

I'm using 1Password-4.6.0.592, and recently did a scan of the .exe file on Virustotal. It tells me the exe has adware called Adware.OutBrowse.Win32.59591 .

https://virustotal.com/en/file/0a1d34c74ff072733b81d8c1c40e58b1ce23c6cac0790eb4bba511ea20de29ff/analysis/

Is this something I should be concerned about? Neither my antivirus nor Malwarebytes Anti-Malware report anything suspicious.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@BayBrennan: There's definitely cause for concern any time something reports a positive match for malware, but in the case of 1Password you are correct: this is a false positive. Because 1Password uses encryption, strings are sometimes mistakenly flagged due to pattern matching. I think a bigger concern in this case is that you're using a rather old version of the app from nearly a year ago! Please download the current version from the AgileBits website, which I believe also has the benefit of not being incorrectly flagged as malicious. Cheers! ;)

• BayBrennan
    BayBrennan
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks a lot, that's a relief. I'll seriously consider updating to the new app, though my current version serves my needs just fine for now.

Keep up the great work. Kudos to you guys for making the best password manager I've ever used!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@BayBrennan: First of all, thank you so much for the kind words! We love what we do and would gladly do it regardless, but we really couldn't without the support of you and the rest of our awesome customers. :chuffed:

Also, I'd definitely recommend updating, as going from 4.6.0.592 to 4.6.0.604 isn't a big leap, but rather a lot of small improvements and fixes we've made over the past year. You honestly (hopefully) won't even notice a difference, except perhaps better reliability since most of the changes were "behind the scenes". And you can always revert if needed. Just a suggestion. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.