Login to browser and pc simultaneously?

Options
Lunagirl
Lunagirl
Community Member
edited September 2016 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Hello,

I switched from Roboform to 1Password about 18 months ago and am still finding 1Password frustrating by comparison. I made the switch due to some online reviews which said that 1password was more secure, so I won't switch back, but I have to say that Roboform functions a lot more smoothly.

My main beefs are:
1) If I log in to 1password on my pc, I still have to log in to it on my browser separately. This wasn't the case with Roboform (and it's a major pain in the butt!)
2) The 1password window doesn't always come up when I register a new login OR if I change a password and need the 1password record updated.

If you can help with any of these aspects I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Fiona

1Password Version: 4.6.0.604
Extension Version: 4.5.9.90 (chrome) and 4.5.9 (mozilla)
OS Version: win 8.1
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Login to browser and pc simultaneously?

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Lunagirl: First of all, thanks for giving 1Password a try! I'll be happy to help you through this.

1) If I log in to 1password on my pc, I still have to log in to it on my browser separately. This wasn't the case with Roboform (and it's a major pain in the butt!)

If you have the main 1Password app closed, it cannot unlock along with the browser. But if you launch it and leave it running in the background (it can minimize to the notification area) then it will behave as you expect.

2) The 1password window doesn't always come up when I register a new login OR if I change a password and need the 1password record updated.

Unfortunately this really depends on the site. 1Password does its best to detect new or updated login information, but it isn't always able to. However, we're always working to improve this, so please let us know the URLs where you run into these issues (or problems with login filling) so we can make 1Password even better. Thanks in advance! :)

• Lunagirl
    Lunagirl
    Community Member
    Options

Oh! Thank you Brenty - it looks like I always open my browser first and log in, and then the desktop. I didn't realise that if I did it the other way around then the browser version would be logged in automatically. Much appreciated.

Will endeavour to send through urls that I have trouble with for 1password.

Thanks,

Fiona

• Hi @Lunagirl,

On behalf of Brenty, you're welcome.

This won't be the case for the upcoming new version of 1Password, we've already overhauled it to keep both parts in sync with the lock system. In the next version, regardless of how you unlock, it'll unlock the other one automatically because they're now one app with two separate views, rather than two separate processes in 1Password 4.

• bkh
    bkh
    Community Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

@MikeT, I just have to say how well it reflects on your company that you decided to do the full re-architecture and implementation to solve the limitations of the 1PW Windows 4 design. Folks who heard Fred Brooks back in 1975 ("Plan to throw the first one away, you will anyway.") know that it's the right thing to do, but so many companies are unwilling to throw away their baby because it has so much investment and sort of works well enough. Kudos to agilebits for doing the right thing.

• Bob_James
    Bob_James
    Community Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

I have the same comment as Lunagirl
    MikeT upcoming new version of 1Password: any time soon?

• Hi guys,

@bkh, thanks for sharing your kind thoughts. It's not just a new codebase but also a larger new development team as well, we're still trying to grow it as we speak.

I just wish we can bring it out to you guys sooner but it will be a while before it can replace 1Password 4 completely. One of the core things we're doing is focusing on consistency as well, so that the experience (UX is still native to Windows) is identical between Windows, macOS, iOS and Android. So far, the current feedback from our beta team is telling us we're on the right track but we still got a lot of work to do.

@Bob_James, no timeframe yet, we do have a beta version but it only has read-only support for local vault files while supporting a limited set of features for 1Password.com customers here: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/64591/help-us-welcome-1password-6-for-windows-to-our-family#latest

You can check out the progress we're making weekly with our changelog here.

This discussion has been closed.