Non-cloud syncing

Options

I cannot use a cloud-based solution for syncing password vault information. I use a MacBook running a virtual machine with Windows 10. 1Password will not sync two "computers" over a local connection. Can I use the folder method to copy my Windows vault to a file and update my MacBook 1Password with that file?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• cmmcginn
    cmmcginn
    Community Member
    Options

I cannot use a cloud-based solution for syncing password vault information. I use a MacBook running a virtual machine with Windows 10. 1Password will not sync two "computers" over a local connection. Can I use the folder method to copy my Windows vault to a file and update my MacBook 1Password with that file?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@cmmcginn: You can! You just need to setup Folder Sync in 1Password for Mac with a location you're sharing with the VM so you can open the vault in 1Password for Windows. I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@cmmcginn: You can! You just need to setup Folder Sync in 1Password for Mac with a location you're sharing with the VM so you can open the vault in 1Password for Windows. I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• cmmcginn
    cmmcginn
    Community Member
    Options

Great! I'll give it a try. Last time I tested 1Password, I had technical issues. I hope things work out better this time. Much appreciated.

• Hi @cmmcginn,

Please do let us know how it turns out now and if you're having issues, let us know and we'd help you with this.

• cmmcginn
    cmmcginn
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks so much! I'll keep you posted.

• You're welcome.

• cmmcginn
    cmmcginn
    Community Member
    Options

I signed up for the free trial, but haven't received the AgileBits email. It's probably been over 20 minutes and it's not in my SPAM folder. Any ideas?

• MikeT
    edited September 2016
    Options

Hi @cmmcginn,

You don't need to sign up for any trial, you can download 1Password 4 for Windows here: http://agilebits.com/downloads

Did you try to sign up on 1Password.com, which is the subscription model that you probably don't want to use?

• cmmcginn
    cmmcginn
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks! Right, I'd rather not use a subscription approach.

• You're welcome.

• cmmcginn
    cmmcginn
    Community Member
    Options

Well, I've created a RoboForm HTML export file which looks fine in a browser until I import it into 1Password. The account entries become garbled with erroneous symbols mixed in. Any ideas?

Also, the instructions say to check the RoboForm export box for full URLs, but I don't see a box. Using RoboForm 7.9.22.

• Hi @cmmcginn,

I thought you were already using 1Password on your Mac or you were trying with a sample data?

Unfortunately, trying to import Roboform will be difficult at first. Here's how to import with Roboform.

1. Download the latest beta version of the 1Password data converter tool here.
    2. Follow the instructions here: https://support.1password.com/import/ (skip the part about Roboform and step 1 in the instructions as you've done it already here)
  • cmmcginn
    cmmcginn
    Community Member
    Options

I think the last time I tried 1Password was November, 2015. It was on my Windows virtual machine. It seems to be working fine this time around. I've found that I can login to sites using RoboForm, then save the login into 1Password, so that's a workaround if the import process proves troublesome. I'll try your instructions, though. That would be much better.

I'll install the Mac version once I get the Windows version updated with my passwords, then use the same storage file on the Mac side.

Thanks again

• You're welcome and we'll be here to help in any way we can.

• cmmcginn
    cmmcginn
    Community Member
    Options

Hello. I installed the Mac version and located the password file. However, I changed the location of the password file in Windows, but I'm having trouble figuring out how to change the new location in Mac.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello. I installed the Mac version and located the password file. However, I changed the location of the password file in Windows, but I'm having trouble figuring out how to change the new location in Mac.

@cmmcginn: I'm a little bit confused by what you're describing. If you're sharing a folder from the Mac with the VM and your vault is in that folder, but then you moved the vault out of that folder, it should no longer be accessible on the Mac. If that's the case, you'd need to put it back in the shared folder which both OSes can access. So I wonder if I'm misunderstanding what you're trying to do here. Please let me know!

• cmmcginn
    cmmcginn
    Community Member
    Options

Actually, the file was in a virtual machine folder. I copied it to a Mac folder, but could not find how to change the Mac version to see it in the new location. It was easy to do on the Windows side.

I used a copy (not a move) in case I ran into a problem with relocating the file.

Separately, the Mac side now generates numerous errors about not finding a server on loopback ip 127.0.0.1.

Thanks for helping.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Actually, the file was in a virtual machine folder. I copied it to a Mac folder, but could not find how to change the Mac version to see it in the new location. It was easy to do on the Windows side. I used a copy (not a move) in case I ran into a problem with relocating the file.

@cmmcginn: Indeed, 1Password for Windows works with the vault directly on disk, so you just open it in the app and you're all set. Once you have the vault where you want it (and the Mac can access that location), just setup Folder Sync again in 1Password for Mac to use that vault in its new location. You'll probably be prompted to merge the data (since 1Password for Mac has its own internal database) and then you'll be all set!

Separately, the Mac side now generates numerous errors about not finding a server on loopback ip 127.0.0.1.

This sounds like 1Password trying to communicate with the browser extension. Do you have "security" software that may be interfering with that?

Thanks for helping.

Any time! I'm sorry we haven't gotten everything sorted out for you yet, but we'll get there. Let me know if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.