Problems logging into Star Citizen

Options
OLLI_S
OLLI_S
Community Member
edited September 2016 in 1Password 4 for Windows

I created an app login for the game "Star Citizen" and pressed the [Ctrl] key so I have the button "Add App".
Here I selected "Star Citizen Launcher".
The URL in 1Password is: QWidget
Then I selected the "Star Citizen Launcher" window and pressed [Ctrl] + ['] but nothing is filled.

Star Citizen shows the Eindows UAC Dialog, so it is started as Administrator.
When I exit 1Password and start it again as Administrator, then the login is also not working!

I know that @brenty or @Ben would suggest now the cool "Autotype" button in the toolbar or 1Password.
But this is also not working :angry:
Reason: when the field Username in the "Star Citizen Launcher" has the focus and I switch to 1Password, then this field is loosing the focus.
So 1Password can not fill in anything.

My old password manager worked here, because I started it as Administrator, focused the field "Username" and then pressed the hotkey for AutoType.

So what can I do that 1Password is working?

1Password Version: 4.6.0.604
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@OLLI_S: I don't have this game, so I'm not able to test it. However, from your description I'm not sure that matters; I'd only be as frustrated as you must be! :angry:

I'm not sure why the field would lose focus or why 1Password cannot fill there, but one thing I'd suggest is to try using the keyboard shortcut for the application login, but edit the login to send Ctrl A first. But if it's still not working even without switching (and losing focus), I'm not sure what the solution will be. 1Password is simply sending the keystrokes, tab, and then more keystrokes, so why that wouldn't work is a bit of a mystery.

However. "QWidget" seems to be a reference to the QT cross-platform application framework, so in that regard it doesn't surprise me that it seems to be showing some quirks compared to an app using native tools. Let me know what you find!

• OLLI_S
    OLLI_S
    Community Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

Hello @brenty

but one thing I'd suggest is to try using the keyboard shortcut for the application login,

Sorry for the silly question: in 1Password 4.6.0.604 I see in the "Preferences" in the tab "Logins" only the Setting "Login keyboard shortcut.
    Here I have the value <Strg> + <#> (this is the default setting).
    Note: the key <Ctrl> is on the German Keyboard <Strg>.

So do you mean this shortcut or is there a separate "keyboard shortcut for the application login"?
    I think not, but your words could intent something different.

but edit the login to send Ctrl A first.

I edited the login and checked the checkbox "Send Ctrl+A before Auto-Type".
    Then I closed (File -> Exit) 1Password and started it again with administrator privileges.
    Then I searched in 1Password for "citi" to filter the list.

Then I started Star Citizen.
    In the field "Username" my username is already entered.
    So I clicked on the field "Password", switched to 1Password and clicked the "Auto-Type" button behind the password field.
    Nothing is entered in Star Citizen.

Then I clicked in Star Citizen in the field "Username" and pressed the Auto-Type Button in the toolbar.
    But here also nothing is filled.

Reason: when I click in the Star Citizen window in the field "Username" or in the field "Password" and switch an other process, then no element in the Star Citizen window has the focus when I switch back.

The only working way is to copy the Password into the clipboard and then paste it into the "Password" field.

Maybe a stupid idea:
    What about adding the checkbox "Add a delay of [number] seconds before performing Auto-Type" (the user can enter a value in the field {number]) in the Auto-Type options of an entry?
    Then I would set it to "2" seconds, click in 1Password the Aut-Type button and have 2 seconds to click in the field "Password".
    But even if this would work, I have the problem that I have to manually search for "Star Citizen" in 1Password! :angry:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@OLLI_S: Not a silly question at all! I'm sorry for not being clearer. The same "login keyboard shortcut" (Ctrl \ by default) is used whether in the browser or for application logins (once the "app URL" is assigned).

Unfortunately if no fields have focus when returning to the app, and nothing can be filled using the shortcut either, there are really only two options: copy and paste, which you mentioned, or alternatively using a Diceware password and typing it manually. I'm sorry that 1Password isn't able to be more help here with filling.

Your idea for a delay timer is an interesting one, though I'm not sure it would have widespread use that would justify adding it. It's definitely something to think about though. But just to make sure we're on the same page, based on your description, it sounds like that wouldn't help in this case either if nothing is filled even when using the keyboard shortcut (without switching away from the app). Did I misunderstand that?

• OLLI_S
    OLLI_S
    Community Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

Hello @brenty

But just to make sure we're on the same page, based on your description, it sounds like that wouldn't help in this case either if nothing is filled even when using the keyboard shortcut (without switching away from the app). Did I misunderstand that?

My idea is that I define a delay in seconds before 1Password starts filling in (like a delay of 2 seconds).

How this works
    I open Star Citizen and search in 1Password for "Star Citizen".
    Then I press the "Auto-Type" button in the toolbar and 1Password starts the delay.
    Within these 2 seconds delay I can click on the "Username" field in the "Star Citizen" window, so the text focus is in there.
    Then 1Password starts filling the data (when the delay is over).

• Hi @OLLI_S,

So, basically a timer to give you time to focus the right field before starting the auto-type function, maybe with a timer overlay and esc key to cancel.

We'll see what we can do about this.

• OLLI_S
    OLLI_S
    Community Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

Today I tried to login into the "GOG Galaxy" Client (a client needed to download games you have purchased at https://www.gog.com) using the "Auto-Type" button in the toolbar of 1Password.

This is also not working because of the same reason:
    When I click into the field "username" it has the focus.
    But when I switch to an other application, then the field looses the focus.

The "GOG Galaxy" Client can be downloaded here: https://www.gog.com/galaxy
    So you can test it!
    Star Citizen can only be downloaded when you have an Star Citizen Account and I think you also must pay a space ship.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@OLLI_S: Thanks for the link! I was able to test that, and 1Password successfully filled the username and password using an application login (not the Auto-Type button in the app, but the keyboard shortcut). I was actually surprised by this since it seemed like it might be another case of a webpage in an app wrapper. And you're right that it "forgets" your cursor position when switching between apps, with or without 1Password involved.

The one thing that may be throwing you off here (and I wonder if this might help in other cases) is Multiple URLs. In a case like this, if you have a website URL saved first (because you use it on an actual webpage) and the application "URL" saved after that, 1Password cannot fill this if Preferences > Logins > Enable Multiple URLs is not checked. For performance reasons (decryption, search) additional URLs are not read unless this is on. Let me know if that helps! :)

This discussion has been closed.