emergency migration Mac to PC

Options

My Mac laptop's screen died suddenly. I am in a foreign country at present. I was able to purchase an HP laptop as an emergency replacement. It has windows 10. I had a back up hard drive for the mac. The HP can read most files from it. I put the agile bits folder from the Mac onto the HP. I have installed 1password 6 beta on the HP. It is up and running fine. I just now created an account, which I had not done previously. I am unable to create an export file with the mac at this time. Question: is there another way for me to transfer the data to the HP without an export file? I am including a jpg image of what is in the folder from the Mac:

Thanks,

Robert

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @RJMS! Sorry to hear about the Mac. :( Glad you got a replacement for your travels though!

The easiest way to get started with 1Password on your new computer is with that "1Password.agilekeychain" file. It can be opened easiest with 1Password 4 for Windows; version 6 is for accounts mainly, and you are using 1Password without an account. Once you've installed the app:

1. Navigate in Windows Explorer to the Agile Keychain on the backup drive and move it to your preferred location on your computer hard drive.
    2. Open 1Password and at the Welcome screen, choose “I have used 1Password before”.
    3. Navigate to the location of the Agile Keychain on your hard drive and double-click it. 1Password will present the lock screen; type in your password for the vault to unlock your data.

Let us know how that goes. :)

• RJMS
    RJMS
    Community Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

Oops. My master password which I changed when I upgraded to version 6 is not working. Do I need the version 4 one? if so, I may not have it any more. (24minutes later) I am unable to find an old password, and both of my most recent ones fail to work.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@RJMS: I'm sorry to hear that. You'll need to know the Master Password you were using at the time of the data you're trying to access (vault, backup, etc.) to decrypt it. For example, the AgileKeychain backup from August 9th in the screenshot can only be decrypted using the Master Password you were using at that time.

Actually...that gives me a theory about the confusion you're experiencing. An .agilekeychain_zip is from 1Password 3. So perhaps you used "Master Password A" when you were actively using 1Password 3, upgraded to 1Password 6 and changed it to "Master Password B"...but apparently you still had 1Password 3 running on your system, making backups of your old vault there with "Master Password A", so that would be the one you'd need to decrypt it. If you rename the .agilekeychain_zip to .zip, you can extract your actual vault...but again, this would be from 1Password 3, so it's likely your data has diverged from that significantly — along with your Master Password.

That leads me to believe that you may have only recovered data from 1Password 3 from your Mac. Do you still have it? It sounds like you may, if only the screen is dead. The good news is that you should be able to connect it to an external display to (at the very least) access your data and get the stuff you really want. Let me know!

• RJMS
    RJMS
    Community Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

Well it is a bit confusing now. I do know that not all the files on the external back up hard drive are able to be read by the HP.
    And I have noticed that the HP, when I copy a file to it, it gives the file a new create date that is the current date.

I am quite sure I was using version 6 at the time of the problem, and not version 3. Plugging in to an external monitor was the first thing I tried, no joy there. But yes the machine does seem to be booting up fine. So I will remove the SSD and put it in an external enclosure and then try to find someone who will let me use their mac to boot up from mine.In the meantime I will look at the files on the SSD instead of the ones the HP found on the backup drive, maybe there is a more recent version 4 vault on it.

Where do I look for the file I really need and what will it be called?

Thanks for your help.

• RJMS
    RJMS
    Community Member
    Options

Success! I found the file on the SSD after I removed it from my dead mac laptop and used a windows 10 utility to find it. The 1Password 4 program on my HP laptop accepted it as a valid file and my 2nd oldest password opened it. It seems to be the almost up to date version of my files. Close enough anyways. Now I need to somehow retrieve my license and put it in place as the program on the HP says it is a trial version only. Any thoughts on how best to do that?

Then what's the next step, to get me up to date with version 6....?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2016
    Options

@RJMS: Awesome! I'm so glad to hear you were able to recover your data from the old Mac! :chuffed:

I am a bit confused though. It sounds like you have a license for 1Password for Mac. Are you using another Mac now, or the PC? If the former, you should already have a license for that, but I've resent the email in case you didn't have it handy (under the circumstances, totally understandable).

If the latter, however, you'll need a 1Password for Windows license. Version 4 is the current stable release, and you're entitled to a discount on that because of your previous purchase, so shoot us an email at support+licenses@agilebits.com if you need help getting that setup. I'll also send you a private message here with some additional details, so be sure to check for that. Cheers! :)

• RJMS
    RJMS
    Community Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

Brenty,

Thanks for sending the license code so quickly! I did have the mac license code previously sent, and it did not work on the PC, so I was confused as to what was happening with that. Now with the new code 1Password 4 is fully registered on the PC.
    Yes I am now almost fully migrated over to the PC. I have a few things left to do but with this I am 95% functional again.
    And the mac will go in the suitcase until such time as I return to the states and (maybe) have it repaired.

Great doing business with you all, I love the product, and wow! great support!

Best Regards,

Bob Shannon

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Likewise, thanks for your support, Bob! Glad to hear it all worked out. I hope the rest of your travels are eventful in only the best possible ways. We're here for you if you need anything else. :chuffed: :+1:

This discussion has been closed.