1password and blisk

Options

Trying to get 1Password to work with Blisk browser. I have installed it but nothing happens.
Do you support Blisk, and if so what do I need to do to get it to work.

Currently it works on Firefox and Chrome correctly

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@muddauber: We definitely don't support Blisk. This is actually the first I've heard of it, so thanks for bringing it up! Firefox and Chrome are fully supported though. And since Blisk seems to support Chrome extensions, you can technically use 1Password there by disabling the code signature check (under 1Password Help > Advanced). It isn't something we recommend since this is an important security feature for verifying a browser's authenticity, it's a workaround you can use if you choose to. I hope this helps!

• muddauber
    muddauber
    Community Member
    Options

Blisk is a very powereful developers tool, so I hope you can fully support it in the future.
    Take a look at it with Mobile Sites and explore its many features.

• Hi @muddauber,

We do understand that but we can't feasibly support and test every browser there is on the market to confirm they're safe to use with our extensions. We give you the option to disable the security check but we can only support the most popular ones that covers most of the market share. We'll see what we can do for Blisk.

• jb510
    jb510
    Community Member
    Options

+1 on Blisk support. It's just Chromium underneath so support would be easy to add to 1P.

Totally understand you can't support all browser, especially with new ones popping up so frequently now, but Blisk really should be an easy add.

• Hi @jb510,

Thanks for writing in.

+1 on Blisk support. It's just Chromium underneath so support would be easy to add to 1P.

It's not about the ease of adding support for them, it's a matter of trust behind whitelisting an unknown browser by default. It means that if Blisk or anyone else get breached, sell it to someone else, etc, they have the power to do whatever they want in the code; such as pushing an bad update and 1Password would continue to whitelist it, which could mean your extension could push data to their servers without your knowledge.

• jb510
    jb510
    Community Member
    Options

Ok, then... What about improving the advanced "Verify Browser Signature" feature so that instead of trusting all browsers, we can specify a specific browser we wish to have trusted?

That's a little tricky with how frequently browsers get updates, but I'd still rather do that every week than to grant a blanket "trust all browsers" permsisison

• Hi @jb510,

That's something we're aiming for in the future. I don't know if you're using 1Password 6 yet but if you are, check out Settings > Options > Browsers.

Basically, we now keep a list of currently authorized browsers and rejected attempts as well. You can click on each one to remove to de-authorize it and so on. It may be possible for us to add a Whitelist option and even with a time limit, like we'd like you to reauthorize once every 6 months or so. As you said, new browsers come and go and one of the problems is that we have to ship updates to update our certificates list, which mean bad browsers may linger around longer. So, with this process, it can work much better and phase out old browsers much quicker.

• jb510
    jb510
    Community Member
    Options

I do use 1P6. When I look under Settings > Options > Browsers I don't see a list like you describe?

• Hi @jb510,

Sorry, I'm referring to 1Password 6 for Windows (this is the Windows forum), not macOS. We're trying it out first in the new 1Password 6 for Windows app and if it works out, we might add it to the macOS version too. However, in the macOS version, you can disable the code signature check via the 1Password Menu > Preferences > Advanced tab.

Here's what 1Password 6 for Windows shows:

• jb510
    jb510
    Community Member
    Options

Ah, understood. I thought maybe that was that case. I found this thread looking for info on Blisk (cross platform) didn't notice which forum it was in.

• Ah, thanks for explaining that. Have you seen the option to disable the code signature and see if 1Password works now in Blisk on your Mac?

This discussion has been closed.