Looking for the 1Password Helper

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: Looking for the extension in Firefox.

Comments

• jean_luc
    jean_luc
    Community Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

I have exactly the same problem on different Windows systems, more of an annoyance in fact. I am using 1Pwd with Firefox on a Windows 7 computer with Norton AV and on a Windows 10 with Avast. On both systems, starting about a month ago, when clicking on the keyhole icon right after the browser has finished loading a page opens a new tab and claims that it is looking for the helper. If I wait a few seconds (variable, 4 - 5) before clicking on the icon then it does not exhibit the behavior.

Note: I am using Adblock Plus and Privacy Badger on both systems, but disabling them does not fix the problem.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jean_luc: Interesting. If you disable the AV on each, is 1Password able to connect sooner? Some vendors have worked with us to avoid interfering with 1Password, but there's definitely still going to be some overhead with these running, as they're trying to scan things in real time. But I'm glad to hear that they are not blocking 1Password from working at all. Let me know what you find!

• jean_luc
    jean_luc
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty: I cannot disable the AV on my work computer (IT would not like that! :-) but I have more info for you...
    Here is what happen when when I click (without waiting) on the keyhole, a new tab opens, it tries to connect to a page on your web site, and displays "Looking for the 1Password helper". After a while it shows "Could not connect to 1Password", see image below:

Sometimes it shows the following dialog:

And after a few tries, the button now completely stopped working, I guess I have to reboot the machine or at least logoff/login.
    The extension version is 1Password 4.6.1.
    Hope it helps...

• jean_luc
    jean_luc
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty: After rebooting, launching Firefox and clicking on the keyhole button I got the "Looking for the 1Password helper" tab opening but then I got a dialog asking to verify a 6 digits code displayed in the browser. I did that and it now appears to work correctly again.

• jean_luc
    jean_luc
    Community Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

@brenty: Problem solved at home too by removing and re-installing the extension.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Excellent! Thanks for the update. It sounds like something must have been hung up there. For some reason this seems to happen most often in Firefox. I'm glad to hear that all is well now though. It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. We're always here to help! :)

• jean_luc
    jean_luc
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty: Erm... unfortunately at work I am back to the original state of the problem, the "Looking for the 1Password helper" tab is opening but once closed the button works correctly.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jean_luc: I hope you don't mind, but I've split you off into a separate discussion in the Windows category of the forums so we can focus on your setup.

I'm really sorry that you're having trouble again! Are you encountering the same issue on both machines? But from your description, it sounds like you may be able to use 1Password after closing the tab. Is that the case? If so, that may be the best we can hope for for now.

While we're trying to work with the vendors to get them to stop blocking 1Password, we're getting inconsistent results both in testing and in feedback from customers. And unfortunately if you're not able to configure them it may not work consistently unless or until they decide to allow 1Password to connect to its extension.

Is it true in both cases that you do not have administrative rights? Even if you're not able to disable or make an exception there, is there perhaps a browser extension for Norton or Avast that can be disabled temporarily to see if that helps? But it sounds like you may simply have to wait a bit while they delay the connection, presumably to see if it is something malicious.

Can you tell me the exact versions you're using of each? That may help us both in our own testing and working with the vendors to resolve this. Thanks in advance!

This discussion has been closed.