Comparison between this program and Dashlane?

Options

I would use the program on iMac, Windows 10 and iPads as well as iPhones

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Comparison between this program and Dashlane?

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@oldjoe39: Thanks for reaching out! I can't really speak for any other product or service though, only 1Password, since that's my area of expertise. :)

Why 1Password?

• 1Password comes with responsive support. I think this is one of the most important aspects of 1Password. Time is money, after all. Whether there is a problem or if you just have a quick question, we're here for you. And we always love customer feedback.
    • 1Password is the only password manager that has ever won a design award. As Steve Jobs once said, “People think it's this veneer — that the designers are handed this box and told, ‘Make it look good!’ That's not what we think design is. It's not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works.” 1Password is an Ars Design Award winner. This comes back to the notion that time is money. If everyone in your family can (1) start using 1Password quickly and (2) easily understand new features when they are rolled out, then you save money on time that would otherwise be lost trying to figure something out or fight with a new version. If price is the only consideration, there are plenty of free tools available, but your time is more valuable than that. And of course we're always here to help!
    • 1Password is encryption-based rather than authentication-based. Our security architecture means that a family organizer can recover accounts for other family members. We at AgileBits can never do that. We simply cannot perform a traditional "password reset" for you. With traditional password reset mechanisms, your secrets are only as secure as all your family members' email accounts. With 1Password, account recovery can only be initiated by a family organizer. You can learn more in our knowledgebase.
    • AgileBits never has access to your data. Your data is encrypted on your device, and your secrets are never transmitted — they are only known by you, so no one else has the means to decrypt the data. You can read more details on how all of this works in our white paper.
    • 1Password is funded by you not advertisers or investors. Last but definitely not least, we have sustainable prices, so we can serve you for years to come without exploiting you or your data. It’s possible for a company to cut corners on pricing, but then they might need investors’ money, a buyer with deeper pockets, or — worst of all — advertising money at the expense of your privacy. We have gone out of our way to build 1Password so that we have no information about your data or about how you use 1Password. It is not merely that we choose not to collect or use data about you; we have designed our systems so that, for the most part, we don’t even have the capability to collect data about you or how you use 1Password. Learn more about 1Password privacy.

1Password.com

It's easier to manage a single subscription than it is to keep track of individual licenses across different platforms and version upgrades. The subscription model also allows us to build in features and services that wouldn't be feasible in the standalone apps, like central hosting and vault management.

If you have a 1Password account:

• All of the apps are included. No matter which plan you choose, you (and every member of your family or team plan) always has free access to the latest versions of all the 1Password apps. Learn more about all the features included with a 1Password account.
    • Share and sync without the need of a third-party sync service. Configuring sync for each device can be confusing and time consuming. With a 1Password account, simply sign in and all your data is there.
    • New vaults automatically show up for family and team members. When you create a new vault, you can add others in your plan to it automatically. They don’t need to do anything to see it and begin using it on their end.
    • Set permissions for each person on each vault. Some passwords can be set to read-only, for example.
    • Recover accounts if a family or team member forgets their Master Password. I mentioned this above, but this is a huge one and bears repeating. We have always prided ourselves on our security model which has no back door. While we still can’t recover anyone’s accounts, you can now recover accounts for your family and team members.
    • View, edit, and add items from any browser. You’ll always have access to your data on 1Password.com, even if you're away from your main devices.
    • Access your data even if you stop paying. Your data is yours. Even if you ever cancel your subscription, you can always get to it.

If you have any additional questions, don’t hesitate to let us know. Whatever you decide, stay safe out there! :)

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited October 2016
    Options

@oldjoe39 ,

To add to brenty's excellent response, 1Password's export feature will allow you to reliably get your data out of 1Password, should you ever decide to leave. Dashlane's export is horribly flawed and faulty:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@MrC: Thank you! My post was long enough already, but you're right: I totally neglected to mention that. While we obviously want people to use 1Password, we also want them be able to get their data out if needed.

We'd prefer everyone use some password manager at least, even if it isn't ours. Improving individuals' security awareness is the only way I imagine that things are ever going to get any better out there. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.