Shortcut doesn't work in browser with 1Password 4

Options

Comments

• jdbroom
    jdbroom
    Community Member
    Options

After the update, the 1Password extension no longer auto-fills websites using Ctrl-. In previous versions, it would auto-fill the site if I had one stored login for the site, or bring up a list of logins if multiples were found. Now it just brings up the 1Password context menu (Search/Favorites/Tags/etc). Any ideas?

Thanks!
    John

Windows 8.1
    1Password 4.6.1.616
    Chrome 54.0.2840.59 m

1Password Version: 4.6.1.616
    Extension Version: 4.6.1.90
    OS Version: Windows 8.1 Enterprise (6.3 build 9600)
    Sync Type: Dropbox

• Hi @jdbroom,

Thanks for writing in.
    Can you tell us whether you've made any other changes to your setup recently?

It might also be good to check if the keyboard shortcut has been changed in
    File > Preferences > Logins > Login keyboard shortcut.

Cheers,

Alex

• @jdbroom @joshjeppson, I've merged your threads because I think that we're dealing with something similar here.

Can the two of you please also tell me which other extension you're using in your browser and which anti-malware software you're using?

Thanks!

• bhpolzin
    bhpolzin
    Community Member
    Options

I'm running into the same problem. The shortcut key Control+\ no longer auto fills after the update. I re-installed the browser extension. That didn't fix it.

• Hey @bhpolzin,

Thanks for writing in. Can you please check the shortcut in the preferences as well? Maybe switch it to something else for a moment and see if it continues to work again.

We'll be standing by.

Cheers,

Alex

• bhpolzin
    bhpolzin
    Community Member
    Options

I changed the shortcut in the preferences. It still doesn't work.

• Hi @bhpolzin,

A few questions:

1. If you press Control + Alt + \ instead, does anything happen?
    2. What about clicking on 1Password in the notification area, does it bring up 1Password mini?
    3. Do you have a multiple monitor setup?
    4. Is Chrome set to open in full screen? Can you resize it to place it in the center of your screen and press the shortcut again, does it fix the issue?
  • bhpolzin
    bhpolzin
    Community Member
    Options
    1. Control + Alt +\ does not do anything.
    2. I'm not tech savvy, as you can probably tell. I don't know what the "notification area" is.
    3. I have a multiple monitor setup, but I have unplugged my second monitor, and it makes no difference.
    4. I tried resizing Chrome to place it in the center of my screen. It does not change anything.
  • Hi @bhpolzin,

This is the notification area:

Windows notification area

Are you using any kind of keyboard shortcut manager, a clipboard manager, or something that controls you windows across multiple monitors?

Thanks,

Alex

• bkh
    bkh
    Community Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

I have experienced a similar problem on occasion, but discovered that if I keep trying Ctrl+\ it starts working normally after about 30 seconds. And once it starts working, it then continues to work normally (i.e. immediate response to Ctrl+\ ) for an extended period of time. I don't understand the entire circumstance, but my working assumption is that I'm stuck during a hung check for update (or perhaps waiting for a helper launch/restart) until something times out or completes, and 1Password then starts filling in the normal way. If I'm quick enough the next time it occurs maybe I can find out more about the cause of the delay, but this issue is pretty rare for me, like on the order of once per week. In any case, for me the issue is self-repairing; just keep trying for about 30 seconds and eventually it will start working.

• MikeT
    edited October 2016
    Options

Hi @bkh,

Thanks for sharing that with us. Do you recall trying to click on the 1Password icon if the shortcut didn't respond within 30 seconds? I'm curious to know if clicking on the icon brings up the menu right away.

Also, the next time you see this happen, could you email us your 1Password diagnostics report, so we can see what was happening at the time. What you're seeing is not normal in any situation, not even for update checks.

The 1Password Helper listens for the shortcuts before it can bring up the menu and if it wasn't running, it cannot respond to the shortcut. However, I'm not sure of a situation where it would take this so long to launch since for update check, the Helper also has to start first.

• bkh
    bkh
    Community Member
    Options

I probably didn't try clicking on the 1Password icon; I'll give it a try.

For diagnostics is there some way I should clear the logs from time to time prior to the failure so the diagnostics are small and only capture the interesting event?

• bkh
    bkh
    Community Member
    Options

It turns out that rebooting is not enough to raise the issue. Perhaps the next version update will be the trigger.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@bkh: There really isn't any way to get a "clean" log with just what we're looking for in a specific case. The system can be pretty verbose even with "nothing happening". :lol:

Just send the diagnostic info as soon as you encounter the issue again, and just a general idea of the time frame (and time zone) should allow us to narrow it down. Hopefully it doesn't come to that, but we're here if you need us!

• bhpolzin
    bhpolzin
    Community Member
    Options

Everything is working normally! Yay! I have shut down and restarted several times through this and nothing helped. Today when I booted up, the agilebits site came up with a window open to check an authorizer number. That matched up, so I clicked it, and it's been working great. I know I had gone to the 1 Password extension before and it didn't help...
    I don't know what made it work ( a fix you pushed out from your end???), but I'm glad it's working for me now. Thanks!

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@bhpolzin: Thank you for keeping us posted! I am glad to hear that everything works now. :) Feel free to reach out to us anytime, we are always here for you.

++
    Greg

• bkh
    bkh
    Community Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

Hi @MikeT, and @brenty. I just encountered an unusual delay in responding to Ctrl+\ after a vault switch. It wasn't 30 seconds, but it was about 10 seconds. The first Ctrl+\ attempts had no effect, but after about a 10s delay another Ctrl+\ did the fill. I've just sent the logs. I think I see in 1Password.agent.log.txt the first Ctrl+\ attempts at 14:01:27 and 14:01:31 (with no fill) and the successful attempt at 14:01:39. Could it be that the first fill requests triggered some authorization handshaking but the request to fill was somehow dropped instead of being saved to invoke the fill? @MikeT, I didn't get a chance to click on the keylock icon in Firefox, but I'll try keep that in mind for next time.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@bkh: Hmm. Based on your description, that doesn't surprise me. If you're switching to a different vault, 1Password will need to perform crypto operations to access the data. And if you have Multiple URLs enabled (in Preferences > Logins), it will be even more resource intensive, varying based on the contents of the vault. We'll see if there's anything else in the diagnostics, but it really sounds like that's what's going on. Let me know if I've misunderstood anything!

ref: GBP-33523-288

This discussion has been closed.