How to Install and sync 1password on multiple Windows machines

Options
raahh
raahh
Community Member
edited October 2016 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Hi,

I have 1password installed and synced (through Dropbox) on my main desktop machine at home running Windows 7 Home Premium x64. No problems there.

My issue/confusion:
I have several laptops. All running Windows. My question is, what is the simplest and quickest way I can install and sync 1Password on these laptops with the same vault as my desktop PC?

If my 1password vault is initially synced through Dropbox on my desktop machine does this mean I also need to download and install Dropbox on all those laptops in order to find the same vault and use 1password? OR can I just copy the vault from Dropbox onto a thumb drive and transfer it to the laptops without having to actually install Dropbox and the 1password desktop app on those laptops?

I'll install the Chrome plugin because I use the extension frequently.

I hope all that makes sense.

Your help is appreciated,
Thanks,
Ara

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

My question is, what is the simplest and quickest way I can install and sync 1Password on these laptops with the same vault as my desktop PC?

@raahh: 1. Install Dropbox, 2. Let it finish syncing, 3. Run 1Password and open your vault. :)

If my 1password vault is initially synced through Dropbox on my desktop machine does this mean I also need to download and install Dropbox on all those laptops in order to find the same vault and use 1password? OR can I just copy the vault from Dropbox onto a thumb drive and transfer it to the laptops without having to actually install Dropbox and the 1password desktop app on those laptops?

Great question! You can certainly copy the vault over manually, but if you have any intention of syncing with the new device, letting Dropbox do it will be simpler and more reliable. For example, if you copy it manually and then install Dropbox, then you've technically got two vaults, and that's an easy way to get confused and end up with them diverging. And you definitely need the 1Password app installed to access your vault and use the browser extensions.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.