Why can't my 1password for windows sync with icloud as well?

Options

Hi,

I would like to use iCloud as my storage for 1password as I don't have a dropbox account and don't want one either. I have it on my Mac and IOS devices, why not on PC?

thanks
/Fredrik

1Password Version: 4.6.1.616
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: win7
Sync Type: icloud hopefully
Referrer: forum-search:icloud

Comments

• MikeT
    edited November 2016
    Options

Hi @FreJoh20,

Thanks for writing in. There are many different iCloud-branded services and not all of them are available on Windows.

1Password uses Apple's CloudKit sync service, which uses your iCloud account to store your 1Password data in its private database, limited to the signed 1Password apps. This is not something accessible outside of 1Password.

Prior to this fall, CloudKit was not available on any platforms beside Apple's such as macOS/iOS. Apple has made available a web API to use CloudKit for any platform. However, to use such APIs on Windows or other platforms, an entire framework has to be built and tested with it, Apple doesn't provide one for Windows, which means we have to build one. This is a lot of work and it may not be something we may get involved. It is possible the community might build one or Microsoft might, which might let us use it in 1Password too.

For now, your only option is to use Dropbox or if you don't want to use any third party service, you can use our 1Password.com subscription service instead. Note 1Password 6 for Windows is available to use with 1Password.com but it doesn't have all features that you'd expect to see.

This discussion has been closed.