CSV import works, but imperfectly

Options

My old password app became unsupported with ios 10 and direct import from it is not supported on ipassword. I painstakingly built a limited record csv file compliant with the ipassword 4 Demo Mode and fields named using the online guide for csv layout and import functions. It does import, to ipassword4 on PC, but only four fields and the guide shows six. Then between iphone app and ipassword4 on my PC, using the WLAN Sync it all came together enough to work, but imperfectly. I can't live with only four fields and note text limits. Not only did the extra text fields not appear, as the Guide describes, but what text is displayed in notes (discussion) is about half of the actual content. The database built on the ipassword4 is the problem because from this I load the iphone app. I don't trust internet storage clouds and only want one database master which I backup myself. This ipassword 4 isn't making it, and ruins for me the iphone solution I was so close to having. Perhaps the Support group has more on how csv import is limited. Then I can work around it to a higher satisfaction. Got better technical literature than the Guides?

1Password Version: 4.6.1.616
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: wlan

Comments

• Hi @allandki,

Thanks for writing in.

Can you tell us the name of the old password manager? We do have a large community-supported 1Password utilities tool that works with dozens of third party password managers to convert them into 1Password's import format, even if 1Password doesn't have the specific option for them. We may be able to add your old password manager if we can get an idea of how it exports the data. /cc @mrc.

It does import, to ipassword4 on PC, but only four fields and the guide shows six.

1Password 4 for Windows only supports the main 4 fields mentioned in the guide; title, URL, username and password.

It can accept notes as description for the 5th column, field names for username/password if the original app exports them.

Not only did the extra text fields not appear, as the Guide describes, but what text is displayed in notes (discussion) is about half of the actual content.

In both the Windows and iOS apps?

• allandki
    allandki
    Community Member
    Options

Old one is LockBox Pro on my iphone and it has no associated PC manager. Really, it is a simple text record keeper with encryption. What has stopped working is its ability to serve up a private page to Microsoft Edge or Firefox with Windows 10 when going to IOS 10. For now, at least, I can still get my data off with older machines around the office. Soon, an IOS upgrade on the phone will require its deletion because it will not open is my guess. This is because of abandonment by the developer, who I had paid for this Pro version. It exports by a browser text listing via private network, which one copies and pastes into Notepad. [ I will never keep such files in the Cloud at any vendor and all my deepest personal data has been lifted thanks to OPM incompetence. Online banking and investing is over for me where multiple part authentication is not used, so what good is an automated password entry tool for me? ] The thing I like is LockBox kept more than logon info with ability to add multiple lines of text information 25 characters each. This allows me to keep things with records like passport number for when on an airline site, etc. The Guide aside, your response explains why none of the extra fields for note text import are created. If I want to use this in my way, then I will have to manually go back and add text data to the Notes. Can you tell me any data type limits on the 5th field and its character limits? Asking also please if this app isn't designed for users like me, can you point me towards a more simple notes-keeper that works as described? What I really need is a small Excel app that encrypts with each closure. Thanks

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@allandki ,

So long as the CSV is properly formatted, 1Password should be able to import your notes section.

How large is your largest note in a record?

• allandki
    allandki
    Community Member
    Options

I have found a near identical app to mine that does what I need. Requires no Cloud transfer or storage or PC app installation. How can I resist what I already know. Thank you for any trouble.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@allandki: Thank you for getting back to us!

We are sorry to hear you are giving up on 1Password, but it is great that you are using a password manager. Keeping your data safe is crucial nowadays. If you ever change your mind and decide to use 1Password, please let us know – we are always ready to help. Thank you!

++
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.