Same vault in two computers sync via NAS (Win/Mac)

Options

Hi everyone,

I need some help figuring out what went wrong with my setup.

I have two computers in my office, one is a Windows machine and the other is a Mac. I would like to sync my vault between the two computer via a folder on my NAS. I'm using the standalone version of 1Password (not the subscription). The setup seems to work perfectly on the Mac, but on the Windows machine I had some issues.

I was able to open the vault on the Windows machine, but it won't let me add items to the vault, it unlocks without any items (sometimes) and can't find the option to keep the vault in sync. Also under "Options>Save for vault" no vaults are shown (list is empty). Anyone has any idea how to fix it?

A bit more information:
1. The Windows machine is running Windows 10 and 1Password version 6.1.308
2. The Mac is running macOS Sierra 10.12.1 and 1Password version 6.5.2
3. A bit obvious, but both computers are in the same network and connected to the NAS.
4. Like I said before, I'm using the standalone version of 1Password (not the subscription)

Thanks!

1Password Version: 6.1.308
Extension Version: 6.1.308d
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: NAS

Comments

• Hi @ErP,

Thanks for contacting us with your question. There are two parts to the answer:

1. To edit items in the synced vault on Windows, you need 1Password 4, not 1Password 6. The latter is a brand new app and in the initial release we focused on 1Password.com subscription accounts. It's possible to read local vaults in 1Password 6 but not write to them. You can download 1Password 4 on this page: https://agilebits.com/downloads
    2. The other thing to keep in mind with your setup is that we don't officially support syncing via NAS for a number of reasons. The most important one is that each NAS handles syncing and any potentially resulting sync conflicts differently. 1Password can't be optimised to understand all of the way a NAS might present sync conflicts or their resolutions. Because of this, I want to ask you to ensure that you always have backups of your 1Password created by 1Password for Mac.

Cheers,

Alex

• ErP
    ErP
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @AlexHoffmann,

Thanks for your help.

Regarding part 1 of you reply, will 1Password 6 for Windows eventually support all functionalities for non-subscriptions accounts? Or will we always have to rely on 1Password 4?

If we need to rely on 1Password 4, will it continue to be updated on a regular bases?

• You're welcome, @ErP,

While I can't promise you that 1Password 6 will get all the features 1Password 4 currently has, it is going to replace 1Password 4 at some point in the future. We're aiming to make it as useful as the older application for all of our users; those who prefer licences and 1Password.com account holders.

Cheers!

This discussion has been closed.