UtilLib.dll error on Win7 install [Installing the latest .NET 4.6.2 update will fix this]

Options
jose_andreu
jose_andreu
Community Member
edited December 2016 in 1Password 4 for Windows

I am unable to install 1Password on Windows 7 Prof. because of this error.
I am trying with the latest installer available (6.0.269)

1Password Version: 6.0.269
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 7 Prof. SP1
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi there @jose_andreu,

I am sorry to hear you bumped into difficulties with 1Password 6 for Windows! The good news is that I might know what is causing this error. :)

It looks like you have an old version of .NET Framework installed on your Windows PC. Please download and install the latest version of this framework from Microsoft:

Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6.2

You should be able to install 1Password 6 after that. Please keep me posted about how it goes, so I could lend a hand, if anything goes wrong.

Thanks!

++
    Greg

• jose_andreu
    jose_andreu
    Community Member
    Options

Updating was the solution!
    Although it was easy to solve and your response was very fast I think the installer should tell about this simple fix, or at least print something related to .NET Framework version or so.

Thanks Greg.

• Hi @jose_andreu,

On behalf of Greg, you're welcome.

We do have a version requirement set for the .NET version and the installer is supposed to take care of this for us but for some reasons, it's not consistent with everyone. We've made some other changes that should help in the next update and our tests shows that it is more reliable. Hopefully, it'll help but we are going to look for a completely different installer that can do this better for us.

• mlnzigzag
    mlnzigzag
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Support, i reply to this just to let you know that as of December 21 2016 this issue still persists.
    I just got it on an updated Win 8.1 Pro x64 and latest AgileBits.OnePassword.Desktop-6.1.308.msi package.
    Fixed installing .net framework 4.6.2 from your link above.
    The installer still shows a generic, unhelpful error: "Error 1001. InstallUtilLib.dll: Unknown error."

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mlnzigzag: Indeed, the MSI installer is not particularly helpful when things go wrong. We're hoping to have our own eventually, but until then we need to use Microsoft's. I'm glad that installing the correct version of .Net helped at least. Thanks for the feedback!

• mlnzigzag
    mlnzigzag
    Community Member
    Options

I'd edit the title of the post for SEO purposes as finding solution wasn't easy. Please note that until I wrote it in here the plain text error wasn't even typed in the thread, and finding it was hard via google as well as via forum search.

As after writing my post before I had the same error on two more machines I'd put it in the kb in your place, cause that's where firstly you drive me when I hit "help & support"! ;)
    Have a good day, and keep up the good work!!

• I've updated the title to include the workaround, thank you for the suggestion!

This discussion has been closed.