1PW 4.6.1.616 and "Browser extension out of date" fails for chrome

Options

Ok, I accepted the upgrade prompt for 1PW Version 4.6.1.616. I'm running 64 bit Windows 7 pro and 64bit Chrome Version 53.0.2785.143 m
Now I have a problem.
1. Opening Chrome immediately displays

2. clicking "Update Now" button opens https://agilebits.com/onepassword/extensions in Chrome, with the Chrome logo and the Big Green Button. Clicking the big green Install button brings up a dialog
3. Clicking "Add Extension: button on this dialog
Shows a green panel "The Chrome extension successfully installed" on the green button screen.

Close and re-open Chrome and I still get the “1PW Browser extension is out of date” dialog at 1. above – and it keeps appearing any time I try to enter text in a browser field – like Google’s search box
I’ve repeated steps 1 to 3 with 1PW application open with my vault unlocked.
I’ve also tried Help -> “Restart 1PW Helper” in the 1PW application, then repeated the steps - same result.

Clicking on the 1PW Icon on Chrome's toolbar gives this:

Clicking "Launch Application" gives this:

The 1PW application was open with my vault unlocked when I did this

Any ideas? my favourite browser is pretty much unusable at the moment.

1Password Version: 4.6.1.616
Extension Version:
OS Version: Windows 7 64 bit
Sync Type: Drop Box

1.png 16.9K
2.png 13.1K
4..PNG 32.2K
5..PNG 22.5K

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@idontno: Sorry for the trouble! Since you didn't mention extension version you have installed, that will be my first question. Can you tell me the version you see listed in Chrome's settings? From your description, it sounds like Chrome may be failing to actually install the new version over the old one, so you're stuck in this loop. If you're still having trouble, please do the following:

1. Uninstall the 1Password extension from Chrome completely
    2. Verify that Chrome doesn't show any updates pending
    3. Restart Windows
    4. Install the latest 1Password extension in Chrome
    5. Verify that 1Password is running (Agile1PAgent.exe in Task Manager)

At this point, when you try to use the 1Password extension, you should be presented with a webpage showing a code, and a corresponding popup from 1Password. Verify that these match, and you should be good to go.

If it still isn't working though, be sure to let me know if there's "security" software or other extensions which may be interfering. If 1Password isn't able to connect securely to the browser, the extension cannot function. Please let me know what you find!

• idontno
    idontno
    Community Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

Hi Brenty. Thanks for the quick response. Your guess was correct. I had version 4.5.9.90 installed.
    I uninstalled the extension, rebooted and this time when I installed, I got a prompt about does the 6 digit code match.
    replied yes and then checked what version got installed. The extension version is now 4.6.1.90
    And yes, the Agile1PAgent.exe is running,

A quick check shows I can log into a website using the browser extension.

Thank you for your help - much appreciated !

• That's great to hear and on behalf of Brenty, you're welcome.

• rlsnyder
    rlsnyder
    Community Member
    Options

I have a perhaps related problem. I updated 1Password to version 4.6.1.616 and that seems to have disabled the 1Password button in Google Chrome. (Clicking the button no longer presents a window that allows me to unlock 1Password.) The Google Chrome extension is supposed to update automatically.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rlsnyder: Indeed, while this seems to be a bigger problem with Firefox not updating itself and extensions automatically, it can unfortunately happen with Chrome too. This may be due to the fact that Chrome had a new version released recently, and if that's not completing properly it can cause trouble for extensions too. Please do the following:

1. Remove the 1Password extension from Chrome
    2. Update Chrome ( [ ⋮ ] > Help > About)
    3. Restart Windows
    4. Install the 1Password extension

When you try to use 1Password, you should be prompted to authorize the connection. Just verify the codes match, and you should be all set. Let me know how it turns out! :)

• rlsnyder
    rlsnyder
    Community Member
    Options

Brenty,
    Sorry to be so long in replying to your note. (It's been almost two months.) I've been occupied with other issues. Plus, when I recently got back to this issue, I had forgotten about this conversation. Bottomline, I have just been through a horrible time trying to get 1Password functioning on the original system. Independently, I was advised to remove the 1Password Chrome extension and reinstall it. I did so, but decided to restart the system before seeing whether 1Password was back functioning in Chrome. The restart wedged on the second Bios window. I powered the system off and managed to get to the bios with cntrl alt del when I started up again. I then exited the bios and, fortunately, the system went into Windows, but, unfortunately, the system no longer had an internet connection! What a mess. I will spare you the subsequent details, because I don't even totally remember them. Somehow, I (with help from my IT son, Garth) did eventually succeed in getting 1Password back, but I really do not want to ride that roller coaster again.

By the way, I think that there was a fairly recent Windows 10 update that may have played a role in the loss of the internet connection.

To get to the point of my note. there are two other Windows 10 systems on my home network that run 1Password and Google Chrome. Because of the problems with the first system, I have for several months studiously declined to update 1Password for these systems. Yesterday, I finally decided to update one of them. Sure enough, the update seems to have disabled the 1Password icon in Google Chrome. (Depressing the icon does not bring up the window that unlocks 1Password.)

By this time, I had rediscovered this thread. So I decided to follow the instructions in your previous note. 1) I removed the 1Password extension from Chrome. 2) Chrome said I already had the latest version of the extension, so there was no update. 3) I rebooted. 4) I reinstalled the extension.

Opening Chrome now brings up a 1Password authorization tab, The codes match. I click the authorize button, but nothing seems to happen, and, when I click the 1Password icon, the window that unlocks 1Password does not appear.

?
    Russ

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rlsnyder: Oh dear, Russ. Yeah, it sounds like you may have been bitten by the Windows update issue that broke networking for some people (alternately, I've had to reinstall my Wi-Fi adapter more times than I can count when it stops functioning periodically). That must have been horrible, but I'm glad you were able to get that sorted out with Garth's expert assistance!

I hate to do this to you, but a lot has changed I'm sure in the intervening months, so I'd appreciate it if you can update me on your setup:

1. Is Windows 10 fully up to date? Just double-check Settings > Updates for me
    2. Which version of Chrome are you using? This URL will get you there quickly: chrome://help/
    3. Which version of 1Password and the extension are you using now?
    4. What antivirus, proxy, or firewall setup are you using?

It sounds like 1Password may not be running at all, or something is interfering, if you're able to authorize it but not open it in the browser. We'll get to the bottom of this.

• rlsnyder
    rlsnyder
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, Brenty. Well, for reasons that I don't understand, the situation seems to have resolved itself. Yesterday, after reinstalling the Chrome extension and finding that the 1Password icon in Chrome did not bring up the unlock window, I ended the day by removing the Chrome extension a second time. This morning, in the course of responding to your note, I again reinstalled the Chrome extension. Lo and behold, the unlock window now comes up. So I think I'm good to go. (Must have done something wrong the first time.)

By the way, in the middle of all this, this morning, there was some funny business with Chrome, which is now gone. When I opened Chrome, I got an initial display suggesting a file not found error of some sort. The tab was labelled with the name of the file, which was perhaps 40 characters long (all I believe lower case), beginning with "mg..." or something similar.

I still have a third system to go. So I may be back. (Probably won't try to update this system for another week, as Garth will be here then.) Many thanks for your prompt reply and Merry Christmas, Russ.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks, Brenty. Well, for reasons that I don't understand, the situation seems to have resolved itself. Yesterday, after reinstalling the Chrome extension and finding that the 1Password icon in Chrome did not bring up the unlock window, I ended the day by removing the Chrome extension a second time. This morning, in the course of responding to your note, I again reinstalled the Chrome extension. Lo and behold, the unlock window now comes up. So I think I'm good to go. (Must have done something wrong the first time.)

@rlsnyder: I don't think it's anything you did wrong. There are a few places things can get "hung up", both with the browser itself and with 1Password, so I wanted to kind of step through it to make sure that it all worked out. Glad to hear it did! :chuffed:

I'm hoping we can add an option in 1Password for Mac that lets you re-try the browser authorization, since currently if something interferes with it initially, the only way to re-attempt is to reinstall the extension. :unamused:

By the way, in the middle of all this, this morning, there was some funny business with Chrome, which is now gone. When I opened Chrome, I got an initial display suggesting a file not found error of some sort. The tab was labelled with the name of the file, which was perhaps 40 characters long (all I believe lower case), beginning with "mg..." or something similar.

This, however, makes me think the problem may have originate with Chrome. It might be worth reinstalling it at some point, especially if you run into further weirdness.

I still have a third system to go. So I may be back. (Probably won't try to update this system for another week, as Garth will be here then.) Many thanks for your prompt reply and Merry Christmas, Russ.

Hey, Merry Christmas to you and your family as well! And no need to wait for Garth. He might be busy this time of year, after all. We're here for you! ;)

• rlsnyder
    rlsnyder
    Community Member
    Options

Brenty,

The 1Password update on the third desktop seems to have gone without difficulty. Indeed, I have also installed 1Password, dropbox, and the 1Password Chrome extension on a fourth laptop, and that seems to be working as well. However, I seem to have a problem with two Android phones, an LG G3 and an LG G2. (When I hit the green button to install the Chrome extension, I get some sort of error notification.)

Does 1Password in fact work with Chrome on an Android phone? If so, can you point me to a set of instructions on how to get 1Password working on an Android phone?

Cheers,

Russ

• MikeT
    edited December 2016
    Options

Hi @rlsnyder,

The browser extensions are for the desktop versions of 1Password only, the mobile platforms requires something else instead.

You can find out how the 1Password integrates with external apps on Android here: https://support.1password.com/android-keyboard/

• rlsnyder
    rlsnyder
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, Mike. Is the procedure for installing a 1Password keyboard in Android fail safe? If one screws up this installation, can one wind up with a vault that is no longer protected by encryption?

Russ

• MikeT
    edited December 2016
    Options

Hi @rlsnyder,

No, this doesn't impact your 1Password data at all, the instruction in there is referring to the device's storage itself, your 1Password data is already encrypted before the device's encryption is a factor.

It is safe to use.

This discussion has been closed.