Can't sync attachments from iOS to Windows via Wi-Fi Sync and OPVault container

Options

Hi,

I have an entry in 1PW on iOS which comes from my 1PW from my Mac. This entry has an attachment but this attachment won´t be synced to my 1PW on Windows, although I use OPVault as container on windows.

Syncing an attachment from Windows to iOS works, but not from iOS to Windows.

1Password Version: 4.6.1.616
Extension Version: 4.6.2.2
OS Version: Windows 7 64-bit
Sync Type: WiFi

Comments

• Hi @pauLee,

Thanks for contacting us.

Am I understanding this correctly and you're using 1Password for iOS to sync data using WLAN between a Mac and a PC?
    This is not supported and can result in sync issues.

Do you have the option to use a different syncing method? In your case Dropbox would be a good choice or our subscription service.

Cheers,

Alex

• pauLee
    pauLee
    Community Member
    edited November 2016
    Options

Yes, I sync between iOS and Windows and iOS and Mac. I use this method since many years.

I will never ever use a cloud service for my most sensitive data.

Will WiFi sync be available in future for 1PW 6 on Windows?

• Yes, it will but we can't say when.

Please note that your chosen way of syncing your data is prone to produce data integrity issues.
    i'd recommend finding a different solution.

Which system do you use primarily? If it's the Mac, then you might configure Folder Sync to give you a .opvault file and periodically move it to the PC using a flash drive. We understand that this might be cumbersome but we want to make sure that you're data stays intact.

• dked
    dked
    Community Member
    Options

I've been considering purchasing your windows and Mac and iOS and using a non cloud sync cross platform sync - what is my local network options of how I can make this work? This is fairly crucial factor in my decision to use your product which was recommended by Troy hunt because of its non cloud options

• Troy is good people!

We do offer the ability to sync your data to a folder on the Mac. You can then use any kind of local network sync to bring it over to your Windows PC and 1Password 4 for Windows accesses the sync file directly.

Syncing the iOS device would have to happen from either the Mac or Windows PC via WLAN.

There is one caveat to this setup: we don't officially support syncing methods that use local network storage.
    We have had report of success from users who employ Bittorrent sync or similar tools to move data between a Mac and a PC.

I hope this helps! I'm happy to answer any other questions you might have.

Cheers,

Alex

• dked
    dked
    Community Member
    Options

Not sure that what you described will work for me - here's my setup

All of the following are on the same network

Sometimes they are used outside the building not on the network

All are sharing passwords with each other

Sometimes one of the following will add or update credentials (name and password) that would need to be reflected on any other computer or device

Windows pc with no associated devices
    Mac with iPhone
    Another Mac and iPod touch

We want to keep the password data in sync across all of these without storing or transferring anything on the Internet

How can I do this with 1password?

• mohamedosman
    mohamedosman
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @dked,

Given the requirements you've outlined, I think what Alex suggested is the best option for you. WLAN syncing is the only way to sync your data without using an outside sync service like Dropbox.

This article will guide you through all the steps to get started with WLAN syncing for your Windows PC, Mac, and iOS devices.

• dked
    dked
    Community Member
    Options

Apparently Windows latest 6 does not have sync but assuming it works with Windows 10 which I'm using
    Windows 4 supports sync but not Windows 10

• mohamedosman
    mohamedosman
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Windows 4 supports sync but not Windows 10

@dked 1Password 4 will work on Windows 7/8/10 machines. You shouldn't have a problem using it on Windows 10.

If you run into any issues, please let us know here.

• znuttyone
    znuttyone
    Community Member
    Options

I have been a 1Password user for over 5 years on MAC OSX and IOS devices. Originally i purchased 1Password as I saw it had cross platform support and i liked the idea of syncing only via local lan ( paranoia personality I guess).

Recently our company changed its policy from a BYO device to standardize on Windows 10

Since Windows 10 is forced on me, downloaded 1 Password for windows and discovered there are a lot of limitations and bugs in the windows version of 1 password. The one that chaps me the most is the loss of wifi sync across devices.. this forces Agilebits customers to choose a loss of security ( storing all passwords in the cloud) over platform, which means you are not truly a cross platform solution.

Very Disappointed

I also have noticed buggy behavior with the browser extensions on windows 10 vs previous experience on MAC OSX.

Again Very Disappointed.

This is forcing me to look at alternative solutions.

Lesson for Agilebits and other companies.. 1- Don't trade uniqueness for me too offerings. 2 - don't mess with a working formula, provide a smooth migration path, cross , and like functionality or you will force previously satisfied customers to look at alternatives.

If I am forced to sacrifice security and utilize a cloud offering for sync.. might as well consider the other solutions that offer the same.

Really liked the solution thanks for 5 years of great products.

regards
    -signed..
    in search of a new solution..

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

The one that chaps me the most is the loss of wifi sync across devices.. this forces Agilebits customers to choose a loss of security ( storing all passwords in the cloud) over platform, which means you are not truly a cross platform solution.

@znuttyone: Fortunately this simply isn't true. Your 1Password data is end-to-end encrypted, so 1Password doesn't depend on the sync service to protect your data. 1Password is secure by design, not by chance. It sounds like your mind is made up, but I did want to clarify this since, while you may have a preference, facts are not subjective.

I'm really sorry to hear that you are being forced to use Windows 10. Personally, I prefer it to other versions, but there's definitely something a bit distasteful about not having a choice. Fortunately you always have a choice when it comes to your own data. Even if you choose not to use 1Password going forward, thank you for your support! Stay safe out there!

• znuttyone
    znuttyone
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty Although I get your point on the data being encrypted, I try to live by defense in layers, I would rather this sensitive data not be stored in the cloud, which in this case 1Password on windows limits my choice and forces me to put my data on the cloud if I want sync across multiple devices.
    Cloud Solutions get hacked just like anyone else only when you host passwords and account information you become a target rich environment. https://blog.lastpass.com/2015/06/lastpass-security-notice.html/

The ability to perform wifi sync was on of my primary reasons for choosing 1Password vs others and have been passionate promoting to co-workers because of this feature as well as some others (browser extensions .etc)

Would have been better for Agilebits to have wifi sync for windows like it has for MAC/OSX and IOS 1- that why I only have my data stored on the devices I utilize and I control vs a cloud solution I do not maintain or control. 2- Makes transition much more seamless when the app is platform agnostic from a functionality stand point.

• MikeT
    edited December 2016
    Options

Hi @znuttyone,

We do have WLAN sync support in 1Password 4, which is the latest version for local vaults. 1Password 6, what you've downloaded, is for 1Password.com customers only and does not yet have all of the features nor does it support local vaults. It is a young app (less than a year old) that's in heavy development to match and to exceed the feature parity of 1Password 4 for Windows as fast we can, including WLAN syncing in the future.

I understand your valid concerns but as Brenty said, 1Password doesn't force nor require you to store your data in the cloud. The confusion is that we have two separate 1Password "products" that depends on your need. We're working as fast as we can to have one single Windows solution for everyone but it will take some time. We're rolling 1Password 6 out in stages, first with basic features and 1Password.com support, keep adding features and to implement local support vaults and then other features, like WLAN sync, and so on.

You can find 1Password 4 here: https://agilebits.com/downloads

• znuttyone
    znuttyone
    Community Member
    Options

I used 4 as well as 5 and 6 on MAC/OSX but did not realize they are different products on windows with different feaures
    So 1Password 4 for windows will allow wifi sync between windows and IOS devices, Correct?
    Is there a specific version of the IOS app I need to utilize?
    Can you wifi Sync between 1Password 6 on a MAC and 1Password 4 on Windows?

• MikeT
    edited December 2016
    Options

Hi @znuttyone,

So 1Password 4 for windows will allow wifi sync between windows and IOS devices, Correct?

That is correct. Here's the guide on this: https://support.1password.com/wlan-server/?win

However, if you're using the macOS version of 1Password, my suggestion is to do a dual sync setup. Right now, WLAN server can only sync from one computer to multiple mobile devices, both iOS and Android devices, not between computers You can sync between all desktops using your own sync tool, like Resilio Sync while using the macOS version of 1Password to sync to all of your mobile devices.

Is there a specific version of the IOS app I need to utilize?

No specific version, as long as it is 1Password 4 for iOS or above.

Can you wifi Sync between 1Password 6 on a MAC and 1Password 4 on Windows?

No and this isn't limited to any specific platform, the WLAN server just can't coexist as a client/server at the same time, meaning it can't turn into a client when the other computer is running. This is something we'd like to improve in the future.

For now, you can sync the 1Password folder between all computers in the network using your own local sync tool.

Basically like this:

1. Mac <> iOS using WLAN Sync
    2. Mac <> PC using a local sync tool, like Resilio Sync, Synology's CloudStation, ownCloud, etc.
  • znuttyone
    znuttyone
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you Mike, will give it a try

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@znuttyone: On behalf of Mike you are very welcome! Please let us know how it goes. Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
    Greg

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@znuttyone: I did want to follow up on an excellent point you made:

Cloud Solutions get hacked just like anyone else only when you host passwords and account information you become a target rich environment.

Indeed, this is something we've taken into account with 1Password all along, since even before 1Password.com people wanted to use 3rd party sync services. When you use 1Password, AgileBits never has access to your data, regardless of the setup you choose. Even with 1Password.com, your data is encrypted on your device, so all the server ever ends up with is an encrypted blob. And since the Account Key is created locally, your Master Password is only known by you, and neither is ever transmitted, no one — including AgileBits — has the means to decrypt the data.

So what I'm getting at is that even if 1Password.com is compromised (which we have to treat as an inevitability for security purposes), it simply doesn't contain what's necessary to decrypt user data. You can read more details on how all of this works in our white paper, and don't hesitate to ask any other questions you may have. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.