"Update existing" feature isn't working on Windows

Options

I have been using the 1Password App on both Windows and Mac to generate strong passwords and change out my old ones on lots of logins. I love the Mac experience, but Windows is a bit lacking. I get that I need to "copy" on Windows instead of "fill" on Mac. But, one crucial feature is missing that has been messing me up after I change passwords - when I change a password on Mac, I get the 1Password prompt that lets me choose "Update existing." When I change a password on Windows, I don't get a 1Password prompt at all. I've been having to copy the generated password to the Notebook app, then change it, then go back in to 1Password, find the login and edit it to change my password. Is that really how it's supposed to work on Windows, or am I making an error?

Here's an example of the steps I am taking (using Windows)

1) Login into site where I want to change my password using Chrome - I just did this with Fidelity.com
2) The 1Password browser extension helper comes up and offers to save my login, and I save it
3) I navigate to the Change Password page and use 1Password to generate a password
4) I copy the password to the form and change it
5) Nothing else happens with 1Password - no prompt comes up to save the password :( When I was doing this same thing on the Mac yesterday, I got prompts from 1Password each time.

1Password Version: 6.2.333d
Extension Version: 4.6.2.90
OS Version: Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1
Sync Type: 1password.com
Referrer: forum-search:update existing windows

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@TracyTThomas: Indeed, thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! The new 1Password 6 Windows desktop app supports autosave, but manual saving and password updating in the browser will be added in a future update. You're not doing anything wrong at all; it's on us to get this implemented. We're working to add everything to get the new version on par with 1Password for Mac.

In the mean time though, you may find it helpful to know that when you use a generated password, it is saved as a password item. You can then use that to add the new password to your existing Login item. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• TracyTThomas
    TracyTThomas
    Community Member
    Options

I didn't realize that the generated password was saved as a password item. Thanks for pointing that out and for your quick answer!

• On behalf of Brenty, you're welcome.

This discussion has been closed.