A little confused on version

Options

I've been a 1Password Mac and iOS user for a very long time. Recently, with a move into a new job I'm encountering Windows and have bought a license to use 1Password for Windows. Is the latest version for Windows version 4?

I see discussion of version 6 beta and wonder if I bought an old version of Windows. And will recent purchasers of version 4 be given free upgrade to version 6 Windows? I have version 6 on Mac and iOS.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@tiantai: I'm sorry for the confusion there! If you're already using 1Password for iOS and Mac version 6 and syncing the data yourself, you'll definitely want 1Password for Windows version 4. The new 1Password 6 Windows desktop beta is focused on 1Password Families (and Teams) currently, and only has basic support for standalone "local" vaults. I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• tiantai
    tiantai
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, Brenty. This is very helpful information. I will uninstall 1 Password 6 then.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Any time! We're here if you need anything else. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2017
    Options

"The new 1Password 6 Windows desktop beta is focused on 1Password Families (and Teams) currently, and only has basic support for standalone "local" vaults."

This is a gigantic slap in the face to the users who've funded your growth for all these years.

@jdotinc: I understand it may feel that way viscerally, since 6 is bigger than 4, but 1Password 4 users get all the advanced features that 1Password 6 doesn't yet have — which folks using 1Password.com simply don't have access to yet.

I've paid the equivalent of many years worth of subscription in the form of license revenue (Mac, Windows, iOS, Android, "Pro" upgrades, version updates), and while I can respect your company's desire to change its business model to one of more reliable recurring revenue, I find it very hard to swallow that your most loyal advocates are being disenfranchised in such a way. I've read all of Dave's blog posts, even exchanged emails with him on the topic, and while you all seem to say all the right words (at times) about your plans to bring users like me back into the fold - your actions (product releases) don't align.

The only thing we can do is keep working hard on the new app so it will be suitable for all Windows users.

You've provided very little in terms of "carrot" - reasons why I should migrate from my current setup to the new "credit card-sipper", yet I fully expect to continue experiencing "stick" (feature gaps, broken promises) as a means to push legacy customers like me into your Columbia House business model.

It isn't our intention to push anyone. Nobody likes that. But it almost sounds like you're simultaneously complaining that we aren't. If you don't see a value for what you get out of 1Password.com at this time, you're not missing out on anything by not being able to use 1Password 6. 1Password 4 users have a mature app already, and while we've made a lot of progress on 1Password 6, it doesn't have everything we want yet. 1Password.com customers don't have the option of sticking with 1Password 4; you do.

The writing is so clearly on the wall - "give us your credit card number so we can drain you for a few bucks a month forever, or get out".

Not by a long shot. Your existing license never expires and you're free to use it for as long as you wish. 1Password 4 is supported on Windows 10. Once 1Password 6 is ready for local vaults (you won't want it before it isn't, since this is your most important data we're talking about), you can still stick with 1Password 4 if you want, upgrade to 1Password 6, or subscribe to 1Password.com. The choice is yours. Certainly, "get out" is also an option, but obviously not one we'd like to promote. Including the various subscription and upgrade options, I'm just not sure we'll be able to offer more options than that.

I take 0 pleasure in being critical of AgileBits - I once held it up as example of a customer-centric company, whose motivations weren't always in direct conflict with those of its users. I've got my flame-suit on, ready for the zealots to come out of the woodwork, but if you try to consider things with empathy for a long-time customer, I think you'll see that things aren't on a good trajectory.

I'm not sure that "pleasure" is the word I'd use either, but we do appreciate constructive criticism. Certainly it's on us to deliver on our commitments, so you'll have to wait and see as 1Password 6 matures. :blush:

This discussion has been closed.