Wait...where is my vault?

Options

I am a Windows 10 user. I signed up for a 1Password account and I just installed 1Password 6 and cannot for the life of me figure out where my password data is stored (so I can back it up, etc). There is no '1Password' folder in my Documents dir as the Support site claims. My entire C drive has no files with the .agilekeychain or .opvault extensions, again, as the documentation claims. So what's going on? Where's the encrypted password data and how do I get at it to back it up?

Thanks,
Nick

1Password Version: 6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: 1Password account

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@kraberus: Indeed, with the 1Password.com subscription service, your encrypted data is stored on the server, and backups are performed there automatically. If you login to 1Password.com, you can even restore an earlier version of individual items. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• kraberus
    kraberus
    Community Member
    Options

That's...interesting. What happens if the service is unavailable? Is there any way to store a local copy of my vault? If not, it sorta seems like having a 1Password account is actually worse than syncing manually.

• MikeT
    edited January 2017
    Options

Hi @kraberus,

Thanks for writing back.

You can find your 1Password's local database in this directory: %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password

What Brenty meant is that there are no external sync files you have to deal with like you did before with Dropbox. 1Password automatically handles all of this for you, so you just sign in with your 1Password.com account and your 1Password data is available right away. There are no external sync clients you need to install, no files to move around and so on.

However, that does not mean your data is only stored on 1Password.com. As soon as you sign in, 1Password will download the data into the local database and then you can use it. When you make a change, it goes into the local database first and then uploaded to the 1Password.com servers, so 1Password works fine offline and does not require constant connection to our servers. When you reconnect later, the 1Password.com server will take care of syncing your data. There are some glitches with the offline mode, like you cannot add a local file yet while offline, this is the app's issue, not the service. We're working on improving 1Password to work better offline.

We are looking into providing the option to create offline copies for long term archival purposes.

• kraberus
    kraberus
    Community Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

Gotcha. I was confused when I read some docs that suggested the vault was in the User\Documents folder. I see now that was for a prior version of 1Password.

Are "vault" and "local database" used interchangeably here? (e.g. I'm assuming the sqlite database contains the encrypted information?)

Thank you for clarifying this.

Nick

• MikeT
    edited January 2017
    Options

Hi @kraberus,

Are "vault" and "local database" used interchangeably here?

No, a vault is a specific set of data that's isolated from other vaults. A database consist of all of the vaults you have or added to 1Password. You could say a vault is a subset of the database rather.

For an example, your 1Password 6's internal database can hold dozens of local vaults and multiple 1Password accounts that each comes with their own list of vaults.

(e.g. I'm assuming the sqlite database contains the encrypted information?)

That is correct, the data folder has your 1Password database file in the SQLite format and also a temporary cache that holds other files like attachments, local vaults content and more in the future like Rich Icons.

In a future update when we add full local vault support to 1Password 6, if you enable a sync option for a specific local vault, this will create an external .opvault vault file that you can then sync with other tools. We most likely will reuse the 1Password folder in the Documents directory by default.

This discussion has been closed.