Limitation of the new Families/Teams versions?

Options
2»

Comments

• Ben
    Options

It looks as though you may have edited your last reply while I was still composing mine, so I didn't see your note about AllBookmarks. I do sometimes miss AllBookmarks -- it could be pretty handy at times. We're currently focusing all of our efforts on 1Password, which is also why we're not selling Knox any longer, but we may be able to pick up a side project again if / when things settle a bit with 1Password.

As for the price comparison between our offerings and LastPass you are absolutely correct. They are less expensive. I feel we have a superior offering but obviously I'm biased. I'd suggest anyone considering a password manager and evaluating the two sign up and try it out. See which one best meets your needs.

Thanks for all the hard work you all have put in these 11 years.

Thanks for saying so! I've only been here for about 8 of them, but I appreciate the kind words, and will happily pass them along to the rest of the team. :)

Ben

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for chiming in here, @Bernfrin. I think you've put it quite nicely. :)

Ben

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

@Ben,

I feel that there is a concern about not where things are now, but where the the future is headed. Adobe and Microsoft have already staked their future on the subscription model. While it is great to see 1Password have both perpetual and subscription, eventually, I suspect one of the two will become diminished.

• Ben
    Options

Perhaps. I don't have a crystal ball. But the plan is to continue both. :)

Ben

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

Hi All,

I've tried https://my.1Password.com and the login failed. However, going direct (userid.1Password.com succeeds? Can anyone explaiin why? Same credentials but with different results.

• dszp
    dszp
    Community Member
    Options

@wkleem I believe you need to use the web address with your account in the name each time. If someone mentions my.1password.com they are likely just using it as shorthand to reference their own custom address without revealing their actual account name. Unless they grabbed my.1password.com as their own, which would be kinda cool but mostly useless :-)

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@dszp I think you are wrong about my.1password.com. That is the address for the individual account, and the login requires three entries, email, account key, and master password. But for Families/Teams the address is userid.1password.com where the user chooses their own ID.

• dszp
    dszp
    Community Member
    Options

@danco oh ok, that makes sense, thanks! I've not seen my.1password.com before but Individuals just came out :-) I have a Families account and a Team account so I've not seen a need for yet another...but good to know since it's useful when helping others.

• Jacob
    Options

@wkleem Actually, while I do love @dszp, he's not quite right here as danco caught. :) my.1password.com is specifically for individual accounts. You can only have one account here. In your case, it looks like you have a team account which is why you can only sign in from your team address. We can help you convert the account if you'd like. Just send us an email at support@1password.com and we'll get that all sorted out.

• dszp
    dszp
    Community Member
    Options

@Jacob I wasn't going to grab an Individual account but I suppose to be familiar with it I might as well try it for 6 months for free... I'm not a fan of being wrong, but I'll admit it when I am :-) Thanks to you and @danco for catching it!

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

Thanks for clarification @danco ! I'm not converting my Teams account to Individual @jacob. My thought is that my.1password.com was a generic sign in page that leads to the respective Individuals, Families or Teams Accounts.

Is there a sign in page available for all accounts?

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty,

Sorry for being late to reply to your answer:

You almost certainly don't need both 1Password Families and 1Password Teams (or an individual plan!) for yourself. However, what's more likely is that you'll get invited to multiple 1Password Teams over time. The great thing about that is someone else is paying, and you'll only pay for your own personal 1Password Account. I've got a few, but I'm only responsible for paying for my own 1Password Family.

In my circle of relationships. I only know of one other person using 1Password and even then, it may have been on an iPhone 3G or 3GS. So, most people that I'm familiar with don't use password managers or they just use the Wallet apps built into the devices? I don't have the answer.

Invitations are often ignored, like Dropbox invites, Skype invites, etc.

• Ben
    Options

@wkleem

The generic address is http://signin.1password.com

:)

Ben

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben,

Thanks.I did discover on my side that the Teams login, saved as 1Password login, filled as "userid+emailname+domain+com.1password.com" which naturally failed to log in.

The above mentioned login works for the teams login that I have.

• Jacob
    Options

On behalf of Ben, you're welcome. :)

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

Has anyone tried to sign up to Families or Teams twice successfully in succession. I am wondering if I can do so and get two years of membership? I would like a multi year purchase, which at this time isn't possible. $96.00 sounds acceptable.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@wkleem: I'm not sure I understand. If you sign up a second time, it would have to be with a separate account. We can certainly consider more prepayment options if there's interest though. Is there a particular reason that paying two years at a time is helpful to you?

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Brent,

I was thinking, as per LastPass, that a multi year option would save a bit of hassle in remembering to check credit card validity. I don't do online shopping often but I do occasionally change by Credit Card Numbers.

• Ben
    Options

Gotcha. Fair enough. Thanks for the suggestion! That is definitely something we can look into. :)

Ben

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

a multi year option would save a bit of hassle in remembering to check credit card validity. I don't do online shopping often but I do occasionally change by Credit Card Numbers.

@wkleem: Fortunately there's an app for that! ;)

I actually tag my Login items (such as Amazon) with credit cards associated with them (such as my Visa) in 1Password so that when I want to use a new card (or a replacement) I know where I need to update the payment info. It's helped me immensely to track these things, so I thought that tip might be useful to you as well. Cheers! :)

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

Hi

An advantage for the Standalone version of 1Password is that I won't need to check in to the server like Families or Teams? How Long can Families/Teams be offline without issue?

• An advantage for the Standalone version of 1Password is that I won't need to check in to the server like Families or Teams?

True. But do you routinely go extended periods of time without internet access (more than a day or two)?

How Long can Families/Teams be offline without issue?

Currently, in theory, indefinitely. Your data is cached on your devices. You may run into an issue if you've had multiple devices offline for a long period of time, have made changes to the same items on them, and then bring them back online. That could cause conflicts. But the same would be true for a standalone vault where changes have been made on multiple devices without syncing in between.

Ben

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

@Ben,

Presently, I have an iPhone with bad wifi issues, the cause yet to be determined. I also have lots of wifi blind spots in my residence.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @wkleem

Then I don't think you'll be in an trouble! If the iPhone is on data, it will be kept in sync that way, but even if it doesn't it won't be any different than with the standalone licenses. As for the blindspots, that sounds really annoying for you! Luckily that's a scenario where 1Password will work pretty much the same whether you're using an account or a license :chuffed:

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

@Pilar,

Thanks for responding. I may eventually turn my phone into a data only device, with no cellular connectivity.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @wkleem

You're very welcome! Good luck with your phone and its Wi-Fi problems :chuffed:

• r_myhre79
    r_myhre79
    Community Member
    Options

I really wanted to get this app since I heard about it on the Today Show. I worked hard for 2-1/2 hours trying to sign up. No luck. Issue with price. $2.99 per month should be $36.00 annually, not $69.00 as I saw while trying to sign up. Please explain!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@r_myhre79: Ah, thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! It sounds like you tried to purchase the 1Password app from the App Store. Instead, go to 1Password.com and sign up for an account. That gives you access to all of the apps, and you won't have to worry about managing licenses or configuring sync -- you can just login to your account on a new device to access your data. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.