1Password v6 ignores specified Windows 10 installation folder

Options

Hi

When using MSI installer AgileBits.OnePassword.Desktop-6.2.333.msi to install on Windows 10, the installer prompts for the installation folder location. Apart from the default folder offered being wildly non-standard, irrespective of whether the default folder is accepted or a more standard folder such as c:\Program Files\1Password is chosen, the installer drops the runtimes into the root folder and not the nominated installation folder.

The installer does create a 1Password/data folder (with two .sqlite files in it) in the selected location. The installer does not install the 1Password software there; that is being placed into the root of the drive within which the specified installation folder resides.

There are 135 files and 2 folders (x64 and x86) created in the root - none of which is acceptable.

Any ideas on settings/configuration/remedies please?
Thanks,

Tim

1Password Version: 6.2.333d
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@TimFromOz: Indeed, I'm sorry for the confusion! Installing to a custom location isn't supported with the current MSI installer but there isn't a way to indicate that either. We're working on our own installer that will offer more flexibility though. Thanks for bringing this up!

• TimFromOz
    TimFromOz
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty Thanks for the update - that's a bit alarming!

So including the capability to select where the product is deployed is totally non-functional, and further, 1Password doesn't even install into the default location but is always installed into the root folder - correct? Seriously dude, this is pretty basic stuff that any commercial installer will support - I know as I work for a software development company and Windows is one of the platforms our software supports.

Do you have a timeframe for the resolution on this?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

So including the capability to select where the product is deployed is totally non-functional, and further, 1Password doesn't even install into the default location but is always installed into the root folder - correct?

@TimFromOz: No. We're using Microsoft's MSI installer, and it uses a default user path: %localappdata%\1Password\app\6\ Like this:

I was under the impression that you were trying to select a different path yourself for some reason. Do you perhaps not have the proper permissions to install to %localappdata%? It may be best to send us Event Viewer logs at support+windows@agilebits.com so we can investigate why this is happening on your system.

• TimFromOz
    TimFromOz
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty What appears to have happened is that I ran through the initial installation, noticed that it went into the wrong place (the default location, not Program Files) so uninstalled and then re-installed. As you note earlier, that capability although offered isn't working and isn't supported - so it deploys the whole product in the root of the drive.

The uninstall however does not remove the product entirely and leaves both the passwords cache and an install state file in place.

By uninstalling again, and then manually deleting the passwords cache and the install state files, I was then able to install to the default location successfully. You probably want to raise a backlog item for the uninstall process to remove those three items that cause subsequent installs to fail.

All working now - although the s/w is installed in a very non-standard location!

• Hey @TimFromOz,

Thanks for letting us know that things seem to work now. We're very sorry for the issues you ran into and the confusion we might've caused. Brent was working under the assumption that you were installing an update. He and you were right about the installation process to some degree but there are a few things I'd like to clear up:

1. You can put the initial installation into any folder you want, even the root folder of the drive but 1Password will never attempt to do this by itself.
    2. Updates are always installed to the default location specified in the installer %localappdata%\1Password unless you change it during the installation. The reason for this is very simple: the user's folder is the only place applications and data can be put into with limited rights and reduce the number of potential issues in multi-user environments.
    3. If the installation went into the root folder, something went wrong that was outside of the capabilites of the 1Password installer.

In addition to that the reason why the user files %localappdata%\1Password\data aren't uninstalled, is because this folder contains your data and 1Password will not touch those in case there are unsynced changes.

I hope this clears things up and you find this information to be helpful. Should you need help with something else, or if you have more feedback, simply contact us again.

Cheers,

Alex

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Ah, yep. I'm sorry for misunderstanding. Thanks for the feedback on this so we can improve it, and also to Alex for clearing that up. :)

This discussion has been closed.