I'm on 1Password 6. Why is the online documentation for version 4?

Options

I was getting a little frustrated, since the docs refer to folders and I can't create folders in 1Password 6. Then I discovered that the documentation isn't current. 2 major versions back?! Why?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Online Documentation

Comments

• Hi @stevesobol,

Thanks for writing in.

We do apologize about this. We have two separate 1Password versions on Windows right now, 1Password 4 is the latest version for standalone local users while 1Password 6 is a limited version for 1Password.com users that doesn't have all of the features implemented yet. 1Password.com itself does not have folders, it uses the tags structure instead and will not have folders support. It may gain support for smart folders based on tags in the future.

1Password 6 was also released after we've overhauled our documentations to blend all 1Password versions in the same support articles as all 1Password apps will be consistent rather than having separate user guides. We're continuing to add more articles but it is not yet complete. I'll file requests to rename the user guide to 1Password 4 on the support page.

There was no 1Password 5 either, 1Password 6 will eventually be offered as an upgrade to 1Password 4 when it is complete.

If you have any questions, we'd be happy to help.

• stevesobol
    stevesobol
    Community Member
    Options

Ok. Now I'm a bit concerned. There is documentation on migrating passwords from LastPass, but it's for version 4.

I can't do it by hand. I have probably 150-200 passwords to migrate.

https://support.1password.com/import-lastpass/

Will this work for 6? And why did I end up getting 6 when downloading the app? If 6 isn't complete, why not make 4 the default download?

• stevesobol
    stevesobol
    Community Member
    Options

Oh, this is NOT good.

I thought I had 200ish passwords in LastPass. It's more than 500. 537, to be exact.

I want to sort them into separate vaults based on whether they are personal passwords, or passwords I use at work (my company's, and clients').

I can only do one at a time over the web, and the docs say I can use the Share button to move items between vaults - but there is no share button. I can right-click and copy items, but that's not what I want to do.

Fortunately, the import worked, and I didn't have an issue doing it because I'm an IT professional and programmer, but I'm a little shocked that you make people install a Perl interpreter to do the import (!) There really ought to be some more user-friendly way to import things from LastPass... But the bigger issue is having FIVE HUNDRED passwords stored in my Temporary vault, which I use by default to store newly-added passwords, and not being able to move more than one at a time...

I need to get off LastPass... they've had two security breaches over the last couple years, and their desktop app and Firefox and Chrome add-ons are bloated, horrifically slow pieces of crap. 1P came recommended very highly by a techie friend of mine. But this is a show-stopper, and I feel like I'm wasting my time.

• stevesobol
    stevesobol
    Community Member
    Options

And you guys really need to add some way to display something other than a flat hierarchy of tags. Smart folders may work. All I know is that under LastPass, I have a list of folders that I can collapse or drill down into. Kinda essential, when you have as many passwords as I do.

• Hi @stevesobol,

I want to sort them into separate vaults based on whether they are personal passwords, or passwords I use at work (my company's, and clients').

I don't know if LastPass let you export selectively but can you try creating multiple export files, convert them to 1PIF and ask 1Password 6 to import them into different vaults with different 1PIF files?

How are they separated, do they have a tag?

But the bigger issue is having FIVE HUNDRED passwords stored in my Temporary vault, which I use by default to store newly-added passwords, and not being able to move more than one at a time...

You can select multiple items to copy them into another vault. Press Control and click on multiple items on the item list and then right-click to select Copy Items to copy them to specific vaults. like so:

Unfortunately, we don't have move implemented yet, so you would have to delete them manually in the temporary vault.

And you guys really need to add some way to display something other than a flat hierarchy of tags. Smart folders may work.

We have plans to do so, we're just starting out with tags. In the past, we had everything, folders, tags, and smart folders. It caused a lot of confusion and wasn't cross-platform friendly, so starting with 1Password 6 and 1Password.com, we're using tags only, which is cross-platform built in mind first.

And why did I end up getting 6 when downloading the app? If 6 isn't complete, why not make 4 the default download?

It is the default on 1Password.com service because 1Password 6 is the only app that supports 1Password.com but the downloads page does mention 1Password 4 below the download link for people who wants the standalone version. 1Password 4 is the default on https://agilebits.com/downloads because that's the standalone version.

It is a mess but we will clean it up soon as a lot of things will be clear once we finish up 1Password 6 to be the single Windows client for everyone.

but I'm a little shocked that you make people install a Perl interpreter to do the import (!)

We do agree and we will change this soon. The 1Password.com web app is starting to gain native support for importing from Dashlane and we plan to add more, so that it is a single source for all 1Password apps to use, rather than building an importer tool manually for each platform and for each password manager, which eats up a lot of our resources. We don't want to embed a scripting engine into our apps. The reason we're suggesting the 1Password Utilities/Perl tool is because it supports converting from dozens of password managers, each with their own rules and convert them into the format that 1Password understands, plus it runs on multiple platforms. This is being handled by our amazing community moderator, @MrC, who has taken the challenge of producing a cross-platform tool and working with our community on each password manager they want to export from.

• stevesobol
    stevesobol
    Community Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

Well, my buddy who recommended 1P to me has a Mac, and the Mac app has the Share button and can move items between vaults. Windows really needs the ability to do the same thing, but I have a Mac mini so I'm good.

I'm going to try to stick with 1P despite current limitations. LastPass is horribly slow and has suffered a couple big data breaches. AgileBits seems to be a lot more focused on security, and my friend has well over 1100 passwords in his 1P account and has no issues with speed (and he tells me he has another friend who has well over 2000 and is still fine).

• stevesobol
    stevesobol
    Community Member
    Options

Oh, and I did import all of my passwords using the Perl script and it converted folder paths to tags. That was nice. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Then you probably know this now too, but it bears repeating: MrC is awesome. Converting from so many different data types -- many of them broken in fundamental ways -- to get a great result in 1Password (with really classy things like folder-tag conversion) is a monumental achievement and really a testament to his talent and dedication. <3

I'm so glad everything went smoothly for you, and hope you're enjoying the benefits of 1Password's security despite some of the limitations of the new app. We'll continue to work to close those gaps, and appreciate any comments, suggestions, and feedback you might come up with along the way. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.