Why is 1Password (ver 6) much more convenient on Mac over Windows?

Options
jaemin
jaemin
Community Member
edited January 2017 in 1Password 4 for Windows

No offense to agilebits, but isn't this company being a little bias? I own both Mac and Windows machines, and I noticed that the Mac version of 1Password 6 is so much more convenient than the Windows version.

For example, in Mac version:

• Save new login option with 1Password helper browser extension
  • Easily add/modify passwords, notes, etc.
  • See details of each login information (Notes, etc.)
  • 1Password Watchtower

1Password 6 Windows version doesn't appear to have any of these great features! Why?
Did I download my 1Password program from the incorrect page? https://1password.com/downloads/

I also noticed that you must buy 1Password separately for Mac and Windows OS? I only bought the Mac 1Password version. I do **not **know where to go to purchase the standalone Windows version (except for the subscription based), but is this why I don't have all the features on my current 1Password after syncing?

I am confused; the direction of where to go for this program is not very good. Love 1Password though..
https://1password.com/downloads/
https://agilebits.com/downloads
(Which one do I download from..?)

I must be clearly missing something..

1Password Version: 6.2.3
Extension Version: 4.6.2
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: DropBox

Comments

• dszp
    dszp
    Community Member
    Options

Version 6 on Windows required a full rewrite from scratch. (For various mostly boring reasons.) Full feature parity is planned but it's taking a while to catch up. They're working hard and the release notes for the Windows app shows regular releases with features coming fast. It's been usable for months but definitely lagging, understandably as they're catching up to many years of Mac and iOS development. It's working well enough for me but not for everyone!

Sorry for the brevity; I'm on my phone at the moment. There are many very long threads around here detailing feature requests and progress and explanations about this, you can spend hours reading about the details if you want (I have :-)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2017
    Options

@dszp: Thank you for jumping in. I'm not sure you owe anyone an explanation or apology though; rather, I think we do. :blush:

@jaemin: While dszp is correct, you're right to have that impression, and I'm sorry that the current state of things is the cause of that. We've had to make some tough decisions to make sure that 1Password has a promising future on Windows, and unfortunately that means that in the short term it's deficient in many ways while we build it up to where we want it to be, and where it needs to be to make it even better going forward.

In the mean time, for you and other Windows users, this kind of sucks. It's confusing. And it may make you feel unloved and like we're not invested in Windows...and that's tragic because it couldn't be further from the truth. This is our fault, plain and simple. No offense to our awesome Mac, iOS, and Android folks, but I think it's fair to say that the Windows team has been working harder than anyone for a while, continues to do so, and will for the foreseeable future as we both "catch up" to 1Password for Mac and then take it even further, to keep it on par consistency-wise, and also take advantage of everything Windows has to offer as well -- which is a lot, given the tools and innovations Microsoft (and Intel, frankly) is providing these days.

So, getting back to the current state of things, if you're using the standalone version of 1Password (as opposed to a 1Password.com subscription), you should stick with 1Password for Windows version 4. It's a mature app with full support for the local vaults you're using. We're working on adding this to the new 1Password 6 Windows desktop app, but at this time it is only needed for 1Password.com support since 1Password 4 can't work with that. 1Password 4 has (probably) all the features you'd expect, and if you purchased only a 1Password for Mac license (as opposed to the bundle), we'll be happy to offer you a discount on adding the Windows version if you'd prefer to continue syncing your own data and managing individual licenses. In that case, just shoot us an email at support+licenses@agilebits.com with your receipt and will work out the details.

However, you may want to consider a 1Password.com subscription, since it will give you access to all of the apps, the web interface, and does away with license management and sync configuration altogether — you simply login to your account to authorize a device and access your data:

1Password.com

And while that gets you the newer version (which, frankly, is appealing as an early adopter), that comes with the caveat that it isn't yet what we'd call "feature complete". It's growing fast, and if this sounds enticing to you, you're in good company, as a lot of folks here have been enjoying participating in its progress, either by using the betas or waiting slightly longer for each new stable release.

As dszp also mentioned, there's been a lot of discussion around all of this, and certainly if that's something you're interested in, there's a lot of fun to be had. But don't hesitate to simply reply here with any questions you might have, no matter if they've been asked and answered before, if you'd prefer to save yourself the trouble of sifting through everything in the forums. We're here for any questions, comments, and feedback you might have about anything 1Password. :)

This discussion has been closed.