Please fix pop-up of Search... dialog box

Options

This is a feature request. I am fully invested in 1Password. I use it on all my Windows, macOS, and iPhone systems.

I'm using 1Password: Password Manager and Secure Wallet 4.6.2.90 in Google Chrome Version 55.0.2883.87 m (64-bit) on Windows 10 Enterprise Build 10240 64-bit OS, x64-based processor (of course! :-).

First, I must give a very belated "Thank You!!!" to you folks at Agile for quickly changing the location of the "Unlock 1Password Vault" dialog box pop-up. This was related to my post titled "1Password 4 for Windows -- Big step backwards", dated way back in November 2014. Now back to this post....

This is my request. Please change the pop-up location of the "Search 1Password" dialog box when I select "Search..." from the Chrome 1Password extension menu. I would like the location of the pop-up to be under the cursor, which is exactly the same location used by the "Unlock 1Password Vault" dialog box when it pops up in Chrome.

Here's why. I have my windows configured like Xterm, whereby hovering over a different window activates it. I don't have to click on it and with a well-know Windows Registry tweak, the window doesn't raise up, either (https://sinewalker.wordpress.com/2010/03/10/ms-windows-focus-follows-mouse-registry-hacks/). For me, not having to click a window is a faster and more convenient way to navigate between window apps. However, there is one disadvantage, and only one: the 1Password extension. In Chrome, if I click on the little 1Password extension toolbar button and select "Search..." from the menu, the "Search 1Password" dialog box pops up in the middle of the screen and then quickly disappears--unless I can race the cursor to the middle of the screen before it disappears in a flash. I'm actually getting pretty good at this. However, I often forget to do this, so then I have to (1) press the little 1Password extension toolbar button again and (2) race the cursor to the middle of the screen.

I admit I'm one of a very, very small minority that has the Windows cursor configured this way, but I'm hoping you will still help, for a couple of reasons. First, you already have the "Unlock 1Password Vault" dialog box popping up in a friendly way, right underneath the cursor, so I'm hoping you can change the "Search 1Password" dialog box pop up in the same way. Second, I think this may be a little faster for "normal" users, since the "Search 1Password" dialog box will conveniently pop up underneath their cursor.

Thanks for listening and I hope you can make this happen.

1Password Version: 4.6.1.616
Extension Version: 4.6.2.90
OS Version: 6.2.9200
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• MikeT
    edited January 2017
    Options

Hi @Sokal,

Thanks for writing in.

I've filed a request to improve this for a future update. This won't be an issue in 1Password 6 as the entire design has changed and it'll support search inline of 1Password mini instead of having a separate search window.

I do have to ask, are you aware that if you click on 1Password icon, you can start typing right away to get search results? This may work better than using a separate search dialog. Here's what I mean:

• SoKal
    SoKal
    Community Member
    Options

MikeT, thanks for getting back to me so quickly. No, I was not know that aware that if you click on 1Password icon, you can start typing right away. I will try using it.

Sorry, this is a tangent.... Say, you mentioned 1Password 6. Isn't that only for macOS? I thought 1Password 4 was the latest and greatest for Windows.

• MikeT
    edited January 2017
    Options

Hi @SoKal,

You're welcome.

1Password 4 still is the latest for standalone local vault customers. We couldn't update it to support the new 1Password.com service, so we've decided to do a brand new codebase with 1Password 6 for Windows, it was time anyway since 1Password 4 was based on a 2010 codebase that was built in a different time and age.

1Password 6 is available right now for 1Password.com customers, it does have limited read-only support for local vaults but full support is coming in the near future. Once 1Password 6 gains all the features that 1Password 4 has and more, we will then start offering it as an upgrade to 1Password 4.

You can get a sneak peek of it here and see the progress we're making here.

• SoKal
    SoKal
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for letting me know, Mike, about 1Password 6. I'll read those articles. If I have any questions, I'll start a new thread (assuming I can find the answers by searching your KB and forums).

And thanks for filing a request to improve the location of the "Search 1Password" dialog box, and giving me the tip on a simpler way to search using the 1Password extension. For me, this topic is closed. Have a great one!

• You're welcome and you have a great one too!

This discussion has been closed.