1Password 6 installation

Options

Comments

• mkoch7811
    mkoch7811
    Community Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

I'm attempting to install 1Password 6 on my Windows 10 Enterprise laptop, and although the installer says it's going to put it in the c:\users\mike\appdata\local\1Password\app\6\ folder, it actually installs everything right in the root of my C: drive. My account is a local admin, and I even tried manually creating all the missing folders in that default install path, but the installer just ignores them and puts everything in C:, which is not acceptable. This is the 6.2.333 desktop MSI. Is this a known problem, or could you provide a workaround? Thanks!

Update: Found the answer in another forum post. I had to create a new REG_DWORD setting named EnableUserControl under the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Installer location, and set the value to 1. The installation then completed successfully in the correct location.

• Hi @mkoch7811,

Sorry to hear you're having this issue. You said that this is a corporate machine and that's most likely the root of the problem.
    You're IT department has configured a Group Policy for MSI installers in a way that prevents the installation process from writing to your user folder.

By default the user folder is the best place to safely put user installed apps and data because we can be sure that a user has read/write access to this folder. There are unfortunate exceptions and the one you ran into is one of them.

Please contact your IT department and ask them to lift this particular limitation.

Cheers,

Alex

• rhookway
    rhookway
    Community Member
    Options

I have a 1password family account and am trying to install 1password on a windows 10 machine on which two family members have accounts. I'm trying to run the following command line from an elevated command prompt: msiexec.exe /i AgileBits.OnePassword.Desktop-6.2.333.msi ALLUSERS=1. I am getting a Windows Installer dialog box that says 'This installation package could not be opened. Verify that the package exists and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid WIndows installer package.' Just double clicking on the file will successfully install it, but only for a single account. Is there some magic incantation that I'm missing? Thanks.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rhookway: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! You're not doing anything wrong, but installing the new 1Password 6 Windows desktop app for "all users" is not supported. You can install it for each individual user account though, and each will have their own database and settings.

However, you shouldn't receive an error when doing that; and it sounds like something may be preventing it from executing normally. Windows seems to be indicating that you don't have the proper permissions to execute it. Do you perhaps have "security" software that's interfering? Let me know what you find!

• rhookway
    rhookway
    Community Member
    Options

Brenty, thanks for the quick reply. I was confused by the following statement by @mohamedosman earlier in the thread: 'I think the general issue you're having is with configuring a multi user setup. Having multiple installations for different users is something we advise against because of the potential issues it could lead to. But, if you're an admin and want to install 1Password for everyone, it'll be better to install from the command line with something like this: msiexec /i ALLUSERS=1.'
    In particular, the statement in bold seemed to imply that 1password shouldn't be installed for each user.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2017
    Options

@rhookway: Any time! I'm really sorry for the confusion though. This was a very old discussion and a lot has changed since Mohamed said that in October. We were using a different installation method and database schema previously, so a lot of that simply doesn't apply any more. I'll split this off into a separate discussion and close the original to hopefully avoid confusion in the future.

This discussion has been closed.