Transferring some (but not all) passwords

Options

I need to transfer just a handful of passwords (approx 20%) from a Mac running standalone 1Password to a Windows 10 computer with a new account based version of 1Password. In the past, I have very successfully shared passwords via email and have tried to do that this time. When I click on the link in the email, I get a message saying 'You'll need a new app to open this onepassword'. For some reason it is not recognising that 1Password is installed. How can I get around this? (By the way, I'm reasonably expert with a Mac, but not very good with a PC! :blush: ) All latest versions of 1Password.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi there @danehc,

Thank you for reaching out and using 1Password! :) We really appreciate it.

Sharing passwords via email is not recommended, because they are transmitted in plain text:

Please check the following article that will be helpful in your situation:

How to move your 1Password data to a new computer or device

In my opinion, the best way for you is to use 1Password account and create a separate vault for your 20% of passwords. This way they will be automatically synced between your PC and Mac and you won't have to worry about sending anything anymore. You just move/copy your item to that vault and your data appears on your PC. 1Password accounts have lots of other advantages over local vaults, check them out:

What are the benefits of a 1Password membership?

Let me know if it answers your question. If you have more questions about 1Password accounts, we are always ready to help. Thank you!

Cheers,
    Greg

• danehc
    danehc
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for the response - unfortunately, it completely misses the point of my question (maybe I didn't express it clearly enough). I am aware of the security issues, but I have already sent the relevant passwords via email, so that is now a non-issue. My question is why won't Windows recognise that 1Password is installed? This technique has worked perfectly well for me on every other occasion I have tried it, but clicking on the link in the email puts me into a loop which goes nowhere. What can I do to get it to work?

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @danehc,

Thanks for writing back.

1Password 6 for Windows does not support the insecure onepassword://share method of sharing data. It is something we might add in a future update but only the older 1Password 4 version support this, which is what you may be using on other computers.

You can find 1Password 4 from here: https://agilebits.com/downloads

If you are using an 1Password.com account, then only 1Password 6 can be used with 1Password.com accounts.

The only sure way of getting the data in either 1Password 4 or 6 for Windows is by creating a separate vault file in the macOS version of 1Password.

If you already have a 1Password.com account, you can also sign into that account on your Mac and copy the data there, 1Password 6 for Windows will automatically pick it up.

I am aware of the security issues, but I have already sent the relevant passwords via email, so that is now a non-issue

It is still an issue, anyone can capture the insecure email traffic and those data are not stored securely in any email clients or on email servers. They'll stay there forever until you delete it but there's nothing that says it wouldn't be deleted on the email servers.

• danehc
    danehc
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you. That answers my question. I have now been able to transfer the information across.

• MikeT
    Options

You're welcome, I'm glad it helped.

This discussion has been closed.