1password to fill Windows Security popup in a federated logon setup

Options

Hi,

despite quite some searching of your knowledge base, I did not get the following setup to work:
. I am using 1password for windows (4.6.1.617)
. I have installed the plugins for both IE and Chrome
. my company uses a federated logon setup (LDAP), through reference of a URL like federation.ext.[company].com
. when accessing sites that require SSO (e.g. [company].box.com ... though there are many more (our whole Intranet)), the Windows Security popup window opens to ask for user and password (incl. the option to remember credentials).
. I seem to not be able to get the shortcut key to offer me any options when this popup window opens
. I have tried to set up a 1password login that the federation URL and the actual website URL ... no luck

Advise? - Does 1password support the Windows Security popup? If yes, how do I make it work?

Thanks much for your help.

Comments

• Moin @DeinLakai!

If this is a regular window or a HTTPAUTH pop-up, you should be able to fill the information using Auto-Type and application logins.
    Our guide for creating application logins will be helpful.

Cheers,

Alex

• DeinLakai
    DeinLakai
    Community Member
    Options

Alex,

thanks so much for fast response. I am afraid it did not solve my problem, however.

I created an APPLICATION login both for the IE popup and as that did not work also for the Chrome popup:
    1. IE created an application entry to "#32770" ... if that means anything, and
    2. Chrome an application entry to Chrome_WidgetWin_1

In any case, within the Chrome widget I was at least able to use the short-cut key and the 1password window opened, however, not giving me a matched option. When I located the right entry through the search option, ... it did not fill in (user name and password remained empty ... and yes, both are maintained for that login).

I am attaching both the IE and the Chrome popup as JPG, so that you can see what kind of logon is being requested.

Advise?

Thomas.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @DeinLakai,

These are dialogs coming from the browsers and Windows, not the websites, so the browser extensions cannot fill there. However, the Auto-Type feature can work in them with an exception. The Windows Security dialogs tend to run on a higher elevated level and Auto-Type cannot fill on elevated dialogs because it is running below that level. In this case, you would have to manually copy/paste it in, we can't work around this.

As for Chrome's dialog, did you make sure you focus the username first by clicking into it and then press Control + \ shortcut? They are not usually elevated but it is possible this is the same issue.

When I located the right entry through the search option, ... it did not fill in (user name and password remained empty ... and yes, both are maintained for that login).

That will not work, the search dialog is only for the browser extensions.

• DeinLakai
    DeinLakai
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the additional insights. I did not manage to get Auto-Type to work. Let me explain/show, so that you can advise how to make it work:

1. I created an APPLICATION login for the chrome popup. When I select the application from the offered list, it shows a URL. Once I clicked on it, 1password shows that it is a Chrome widget. See screen shots:

2. However, when I place my cursor in the user name field and use the 1password shortcut, the 1password menu open BUT does not offer me any logon for that Chrome popup. See screenshot:

How do I get it to work??

• MikeT
    edited March 2017
    Options

Hi @DeinLakai,

Try this: bring up the auth dialog in Chrome and then switch to the main 1Password program, select the item you want, click on the Auto-Type button on the toolbar to select Chrome's tab with the dialog, does it work?

Can you try Firefox, I'm able to make it work on a sample there but not in Chrome.

• DeinLakai
    DeinLakai
    Community Member
    Options

Hi there! -- Progress:

1. Switching to the main 1password program while in Chrome worked: when having select the respective login in 1password and chosen auto-type from the toolbar, it indeed filled in user name and password. This, however, I consider cumbersome (too many clicks/app switches).
    2. I also tried in Firefox: I created an APPLICATION login (resulting in an entry pointing to 'MoziallaDialogClass'), and indeed by using the Shortcut key within the Firefox popup, it automatically filled in the login. It works as expected!

I understand that the use of 1Password for these kind of logins in IE is not possible, given the elevated implementation through Windows Security.

However, I wonder whether you can advise how - or provide fix - to make it work in Chrome (my main browser) just like it works in Firefox?

Appreciate your further support on this matter.

• I'm sorry to say that things tend to be more complicated in Chrome due to the way they implement the browser user interface (which is called "chrome" in a browser). It's less accessible then in Firefox

We're sorry for the inconvenience but the way Mike described and you tested it, is the best that's currently possible.

Cheers,

Alex

This discussion has been closed.