No edit support for local vaults [1Password 6 is for 1Password memberships only]

Options
videira
videira
Community Member
edited March 2017 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Hi all,

Yesterday, I installed the latest versions of 1 Password 6, but now I can't Create new Itens or Edit the existing ones.
The buttons are disable, anyone have the same problem.

Thanks in advance.
Videira

1Password Version: 1Password 6.1.272d
Extension Version: 4.6.1.90 Chrome
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@videira: I'm sorry for the confusion! 1Password 6 does not support licenses or local vaults, so you cannot edit those there. That will come in a future version. Currently it is focused on support for 1Password Accounts. 1Password 4, however, fully supports local vaults so you can continue syncing with Dropbox and using your existing license. I hope this helps! :)

• videira
    videira
    Community Member
    Options

Ok, thank you.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Any time! We're here if you need anything else. Have a great weekend! :)

• sturze
    sturze
    Community Member
    Options

Any news on this? Waiting for a wile now... :(
    Can anybody tell how long it will take? would be great to add Passwords from windows.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@sturze: I do not have any news for you at this point.

If you are interested in using 1Password 6 for Windows, please consider using 1Password account. This is the best way to use 1Password now and it has a lot of advantages over local vaults. :)

However, if you are not interested, you can download 1Password 4 for Windows, which fully supports local vaults, and use it on your Windows machine.

I hope it helps. Should you have any other questions, please reach out to us anytime. Thanks!

Cheers,
    Greg

• sturze
    sturze
    Community Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

Thank you for the quick answer greg.

1. i allready bought 1Password and i dont want to pay again monthly....
      2.I dont see much advantages... Whats better?

For my understanding its way more flexible to be able to choose where i want to store my vault. If i could i would use Nextcloud/Owncloud before any Cloud-Option which i dont own, but thats not possible eighter.

Do i have any option to use 1Password on IOS/MacOS/Windows with the same Vault without using the old version (4) or the monthly-subscription version?

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @sturze,

i allready bought 1Password and i dont want to pay again monthly....

1Password 6 for Windows wouldn't be a free upgrade to 1Password 4, so you would still have to pay for an upgrade if you want to use 1Password 6. However, depending on when you bought the 1Password license, we may be able to help if you want to switch and you would never have to pay separate upgrade fees if you pay for the 1Password account because it is already included. You get access to all 1Password apps on all platforms, no versioning or licensing to worry about, all future versions are included.

2.I dont see much advantages... Whats better?

We've described most of the benefits here: https://support.1password.com/why-account/

Integrated 1Password experience with built-in sync and backup, not more complex configuration to work with, it is much faster, you get access to 1Password.com web app, item history, ability to share data between family members easily and securely, secure cloud storage and many more in the near future.

For my understanding its way more flexible to be able to choose where i want to store my vault. If I could i would use Nextcloud/Owncloud before any Cloud-Option which i dont own, but thats not possible eighter.

The flexibility comes at a lot of costs for us and our customers, they're hard to configure for new customers, they don't have great integration on mobile devices for us to use (APIs), they can change APIs that breaks how 1Password work and we'd have to rebuild the app's integrations, and many more. Not to mention, we have to manually resolve sync conflicts and we cannot help customers that are using unsupported sync methods like NextCloud and others where they have different sync conflict mechanisms that 1Password wasn't designed for. Therefore, we most likely will focus on 1Password.com service first and not the other ones.

By integrating our own service that we can control entirely, we can provide you with more advanced features that wouldn't be possible before. Right now, we're still in a transition where we're still getting all 1Password apps ready like 1Password 6 for Windows but eventually, we'll start shipping new features exclusively for 1Password.com services.

You don't have to switch over right now, you can stick with 1Password 4 for now and try 1Password 6 later when we have more features implemented.

Do I have any option to use 1Password on IOS/MacOS/Windows with the same Vault without using the old version (4) or the monthly-subscription version?

No, there is no option right now. Maybe in the future when we may add local vaults support to 1Password 6 for Windows, you'd have an option.

• videira
    videira
    Community Member
    Options

Hi all,

On December 2015 I bought the 1 Password 4 license to Windows.
    So, now if I want a use a new version 6 with the accounts mode, need pay again?

Thanks,
    Videira

• MikeT
    edited March 2017
    Options

Hi @videira,

Your 1Password.com account gets access to all 1Password apps on all platforms we support and future versions included, there are no separate fees for the apps. Just download the 1Password app from your 1Password.com site (click on your account name on top right to select "Get the Apps") or here: https://1Password.com/downloads/ and sign in, all trial restrictions are removed automatically.

• KAGRAN22
    KAGRAN22
    Community Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

Out of security concerns i never would put my files on a cloud storage (yes i know they're encrypted).
    Thus i don't intend on using 1password.com and i know there's a huge amount of people with similar concerns (special in business, some cooperates even require you to have these files locally).

Leaving them in the dust for months with either a crippled 1P4 or 6 version isn't fun at all.

1P4: Compared to 6 a awful interface and multiple vaults make you insane:

• Enter local vault PW
    • Copy key for shared vault PW
    • Switch to shared vault
    • Enter shared vault PW
    • do somethings
    • Switch back to local vault
    • Enter local vault PW again
    • .... repeat

1P6: Opens all vaults but lacks major features

• Doesn't correctly fill out forms (record with multiple domains?)
    • No create/edit
    • I have in both apps the same vault opened but it seems like the 6ver doesn't display the "exact" same data (older/different titles)??

My Mac colleges can't believe me when i tell them how counterintuitive 1P is under Windows. Implementing "save/edit" doesn't seem to be that mind blowing? What is the big problem, that you can't even name us a roughly release date? Currently it seems like you just want to promote 1password.com and rather force existing consumers to switch to this service.

Another unhappy 1P Windows user

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@KAGRAN22: 1Password 4 isn't "crippled" (to use your rather insensitive, borderline offensive term). It has the same features it did before 1Password 6 was released, and nothing has been removed. 1Password 6 supports 1Password.com Accounts, and save/edit is already implemented. Regarding URL matching, you're right that it is different in 1Password 6, as we didn't reuse code from 1Password 4. So we'll be refining that over time. If you don't want to use "cloud storage" regardless of how secure it is, that's fine. Saying that it's due to "security concerns" ignores reality though, since it would make more sense to get paid for a security flaw you discover. You can continue using your 1Password 4 setup with local vaults for as long as you wish though, as we're not going to break that. We'll continue to work to improve the new app, but local vaults are not being work on at this time — which is why we're not talking about release dates.

This discussion has been closed.