I installed 6.4.377d (windows version) - I received a msg "error writting to a registry key"

Options

it seems that last version was installed but why this message?

1Password Version: 6.4.377d
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:error writting to registry key

Comments

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @apoliveira99,

Thanks for writing in. Do you have an anti-malware solution that could be blocking 1Password's ability to update your registry? The location where we do this does not require any admin rights and often, this is blocked by the anti-malware solution.

We use this to start 1Password automatically as soon as you boot up.

• apoliveira99
    apoliveira99
    Community Member
    Options

Hi MikeT,
    Thanks - I have McAfee and windows defender - could be any of these products?
    Anyhow, this does not provoke any issue in using 1password, correct?

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @apoliveira99,

You may experience an issue using the 1Password extensions because 1Password isn't running when you boot up Windows.

McAfee is known for blocking these registry calls, so you'd want to exclude 1Password from its scanner. Once you do this, you'll want to configure 1Password to auto-start itself when you boot up Windows. To do this:

1. Open the main 1Password app, unlock, click on the Settings on top right (gear icon) and select Options.
    2. In options, select General on the left if it is not in General and check the box next to Start 1Password automatically when I sign in to Windows.

After that, if you don't get any dialog from McAfee blocking this registry change, you're all set.

• apoliveira99
    apoliveira99
    Community Member
    Options

Hi MikeT, I tried to select the box but it does not allow me to select it...

• MikeT
    edited March 2017
    Options

Hi @apoliveira99,

That means it is still being blocked.

Is this a work computer or your personal computer? You could try looking at the McAfee settings to find the one that disallow registry changes. It is possible excluding 1Password isn't enough.

• apoliveira99
    apoliveira99
    Community Member
    Options

Ok, understood - it is a work computer managed centrally.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @apoliveira99,

Let us know if you got it figured out or if you can get the IT department to help you, I think you have to enable registry changes to HKEY_CURRENT_USER, which isolates to you as a current user and does not require admin rights usually.

This discussion has been closed.