How to fill with 1Password extension? Press "Control + \" or click on 1Password icon to fill.

Options
RexPerry
RexPerry
Community Member
edited March 2017 in 1Password 4 for Windows

I am a new user of 1Password 6 and I probably need some sort of training on the correct operation but.... I have found that the program seems to be intermittent in connecting to selected websites. In some cases, it connects just fine: in others, it does not provide the password. I can copy and paste the missing data but that is a pain. Is this the way that this program is supposed to work? Is there any kind of documentation on the correct operation?
Thanks

1Password Version: 6.3.359d
Extension Version: 4.6.3
OS Version: W10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @RexPerry,

Thanks for writing in.

There shouldn't be any intermittent behaviors when it comes to filling on the same sites. There may be compatibility issues with some sites where 1Password doesn't know how to fill but we can help you there.

Can you start by confirming if you're seeing intermittent behaviors on the same sites you're visiting?

Here's how it generally works:

1. Visit the site's login page and press "Control + \" to fill right away or you can click on 1Password icon to do the same.

That's usually it.

• RexPerry
    RexPerry
    Community Member
    Options

Mike T,
    Your suggestion to use "Control+\" does facilitate the log in process but should that be used each time? In some cases the login info for a given site appears on the login page but in other cases, for a different site, it seems that it does not.
    Sometimes it it just a case of getting used to how the thing works. I will keep getting used to this...
    Thanks for your response.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @RexPerry,

1Password extension does not automatically fills in your credentials on the websites. If you want to fill your info on the webpage, you should press Ctrl + \ and 1Password extension will do that. This is an intentional design.

As Mike noted above, there may be compatibility issues with some websites when 1Password doesn't know how to fill your info. Am I right to understand that it works for you on some websites, but not on the others? Please let us know. Thanks!

Cheers,
    Greg

• RexPerry
    RexPerry
    Community Member
    Options

When I get to a login page I use the Ctr+\ and that fills in the required data but I have to do that almost every time. In some cases, once the login info is recorded, the 1Password takes you right to the website.
    I am not exactly sure how this program is supposed to work. I cannot find any documentation. Everything seems to be trial and error.
    When I tried to log into 1PW this morning I got a pop up message that an update was available. I selected the update because I thought that perhaps some of my login issues would be solved. As best I can tell, the update did not work. The version of 1PW is the same (upper RH corner under gear). I was trying to log in from my task bar but that kept going around in a circle. I had to go to another browser to get into 1PW.
    I appreciate the comments. I will keep trying....

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @RexPerry,

When I get to a login page I use the Ctr+\ and that fills in the required data but I have to do that almost every time

That is correct, you must invoke 1Password to fill. 1Password does not automatically fill your data without you invoking 1Password to do it. You have to either use the shortcut or click on the 1Password icon in the browser's toolbar to fill each single time.

It is a security risk to blindly fill without your permission first.

I selected the update because I thought that perhaps some of my login issues would be solved.

Did you check on Install after selecting the update? If not, it won't prompt again until tomorrow. To try it now, open the main 1Password app, unlock, click on Settings on top right to select Options and then go to Updates on the left sidebar. Check for an update there and then install the update.

After that, you should see the new version open up.

• RexPerry
    RexPerry
    Community Member
    Options

Mike,
    I am not sure what is going on but I will try to explain what I am seeing.
    The 1PW6 icon is on my task bar (W10 machine). If I click on the icon to open the program I get a "user account control" window with a question..."Do you want to allow this app to make change to your device?" 3ffdc97.msi
    Selecting yes brings up a smaller window that says wait while windows configures the machine. This runs very quickly and then displays the 1PW6 login page at least momentarily. The login page disappears and I am back to where I started.
    It seems that the update tries to start but then crashes. I am not able to get to the gear icon and check versions.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @RexPerry,

That's certainly not normal. Could you email us your Windows' logs, so we can see what's happening. Here's how:

1. Click on Start Menu, search for Event Viewer and open it
    2. On the left sidebar, expand Custom Views on the top and then click on Administrative Events
    3. Reproduce the issue with 1Password
    4. Go back to the Event Viewer, right-click on the list to refresh. You should see errors from the source .NET Runtime. Right-click on the error to select Copy > Copy Details as text.
    5. Paste it into a new text file with NotePad, save it and attach it to an email, send that email to us at support+windows@agilebits.com along with your forum username and the link to this thread, so we can connect the dots.

Please let us know here when you sent it, so we can confirm we got the email.

• RexPerry
    RexPerry
    Community Member
    Options

The requested information was emailed to support+windows@agilebits.com at 8:35 Central Time 3/11/17

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@RexPerry: I was able to find your email, and I'll reply there shortly so we can get everything sorted out for you. Thanks for your patience!

ref: XUP-23578-946

This discussion has been closed.