How to upgrade from 1Password version 4 (Dropbox) to version 6?

Options

I have just discovered that version 6 is now available. I have previously purchased version 4. I have both Windows and Mac versions and also using the iOS app. Everything is synced to Dropbox. How do I upgrade to version 6? Do I need to purchase a new license?

1Password Version: 4.6.1.618
Extension Version: 4.6.3.90
OS Version: Windows 10 Enterprise
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:upgrade from version 4 to 6

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @golebara,

Thank you for using 1Password! We would not be here without you. :)

1Password 6 for Windows is not an upgrade for 1Password 4 (yet). The thing is that 1Password 6 is focused on our 1Password accounts at the moment and does not support local vaults. If you want to use local vault synced via Dropbox you should stick with 1Password 4 for the time being.

If you are interested in 1Password account and 1Password 6 for Windows, you can go ahead and sign up for 1Password account on our website. When you have an account, you won't have to purchase anything anymore – your subscription will include all 1Password apps for all platforms (+ web-interface). All future upgrades are also included in your subscription. There are no licenses to keep track of or sync options to set up — you simply download the apps from 1Password.com and sign in to your account, sync happens automatically.

I hope it answers your question. If you have more of them, please let us know. Thanks!

++
    Greg

• golebara
    golebara
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Greg,

Thanks for the quick response!

I think I understand the difference with 1Password 6. So instead of having local vault and synced via a third-party service like Dropbox, you are now hosting the vault in the cloud (presumably on your own server)? Is that right?

If that's the case, I would much prefer to use this as I really dislike the idea of using Dropbox. Instead of using 2 apps on each device, I can now just use 1!

You mentioned that I don't have to purchase anything. I have downloaded 1Password 6 and created a 1Password account but it says that I'm on a trial? How do I go about resolving this?

In addition, how do I get my existing vault into the new 1Password 6 app? I've done a manual export from 1Password 4 to a *.1pif file and imported it into 1Password 6. Is this the best/correct way of doing it?

Jay

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@golebara: You are very welcome! :+1:

You are right. Your encrypted vault will be stored on our servers and you won't have to worry about sync options anymore.

However, I am sorry if my previous message was not clear. :blush: By "don't have to purchase anything" I meant that everything will be included in your subscription. The cost of Individual account is $2.99 per month if paid annually.

As for the import, I think you did everything right. We also have a migration guide on our website, if you still need it.

Should you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to raise them.

Cheers,
    Greg

• golebara
    golebara
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Greg,

I have read in other parts of the forum that the upgrade from 1P4 to 1P6 is free (as stated by another AgileBits Team Member). Are you able to clarify on this?

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/62803/can-i-upgrade-from-my-version-4-to-6-at-no-cost

Jay

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@golebara: Again, I am sorry for this ongoing confusion.

Brenty is talking about 1Password 6 for Mac, which was indeed a free upgrade at the time. However, on Windows we have a different situation. 1Password 6 for Windows is a new app we are building from scratch and since it doesn't support local vaults, it is not an upgrade for 1Password 4 (yet). Basically, you can't use 1Password 6 for Windows without 1Password account and if you prefer local vaults, you should use 1Password 4.

If I managed to confuse you even more, please let me know. :+1:

Cheers,
    Greg

• golebara
    golebara
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Greg,

Thanks for the clarification. I think I will just stick to 1Password 4 for Windows for now as the user interface in 1Password 6 for Windows is quite different compared to the Mac version. It will be nicer to make both OS versions consistent.

Jay

• heidik
    heidik
    Community Member
    Options

Are there any plans to sunset the original license model for the Windows application? Meaning, will I eventually have to move to the monthly subscription fee-based account after purchasing the iOS and Window applications?

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@golebara: You are very welcome! :+1: Please contact us anytime if you have other questions, we are always ready to help.
    As for design of 1Password 6 for Windows... We want it to be a first class citizen of Windows, so we don't want to blindly copy Mac design and bring it to Windows. It is under constant improvement, so if you have any suggestions, please share them with us. Thank you! :)

@heidik: Since 1Password 4 fully supports local vaults, the support for them in 1Password 6 for Windows is currently on hold. The new app is focused on our 1Password accounts at the moment. I wish I had more news for you at this point, but I don't. I hope for your understanding. Thank you!

Cheers,
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.