Categorizing data in 1Password Online

Options

Hi, I have started to use 1Password online account in the trial period. I have got a few items imported from 1P4 windows desktop via csv, but since in 1P4 desktop application, I had not put these data under any category (i.e. Login, Secure Note, Credit Card, Identity, etc.) the imported data also did not had any categories associated with it.
I want to assign categories to the imported items to organize them better, but I do not see any option to assign categories to already imported data. I know I can tag each of the data items, but I would like t keep them categorized. Could you please suggest how can I categorize the imported data ?

Regards,
Nish

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @justnishant123,

Thanks for writing in.

It is not possible at the moment to recategorize existing items, you would have to either copy/paste into a new category item or reimport the original data with a different tool. Did you have data in a different program from 1Password?

• Ben99
    Ben99
    Community Member
    Options

Wow. I'm trying to organize my items too. I'm very surprised it's not possible to recategorize existing items. VERY frustrating.

I would put this at the TOP OF THE LIST of new features to develop for future updates.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Ben99: That's not really possible, as it would break compatibility in many ways. We're working toward more flexibility in the future, but a lot of people depend on the interoperability between multiple versions of the apps so it isn't something that can happen overnight, or without careful planning. It seems like it's easy enough to choose whatever category you want when creating an item though. Can you give me a sense of why you're creating items of one type initially but wanting to change them later? There may be other ways we can help make things clearer to users in the mean time.

This discussion has been closed.