I need help with migrating 1P6 back to 1P4.

Options

In attempting to re-install my license after my PC crashed, i mistakingly downloaded 1P6, created and account and cleaned up all my passwords. When i noticed I couldn't sync between all my devices I realized I actually had previously been using 1P4. I would like to move my 1P6 vault to 1P4 and have been unsuccessful at importing the file since it forces a data mapping that is pretty cryptic. After several attempts I'm hoping you can help me.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Win10
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:importing passwords from 1p6 to 1p4

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi there @Claude38,

I am sorry to hear you bumped into troubles with 1Password! We are here to help! :+1:

First of all, could you please tell me, is there a particular reason why you don't want to use your new 1Password account? I think that this is the most convenient way to use 1Password right now and I wonder why you prefer local vaults. Thanks!

If you want to move your data from 1Password 6 to 1Password 4, you can export your items from 1Password 6 in .CSV and then import that file to 1Password 4. You can also use @MrC 's converter scripts to convert the CSV to 1PIF if you are running into any issues with that. I hope we will have a better option for you soon.

I hope it helps. If you have any questions about this process, please let us know.

Cheers,
    Greg

• Claude38
    Claude38
    Community Member
    Options

Greg,
    I need to synch my vault across 2 other devices and had been using Dropbox to do so and wasn't able to find that capability with 1P6 for Windows10.

I had successfully exported vault into a CSV file but got tripped up with the field mapping in an attempt to import the CSV file directly.
    I ended up cutting and pasting my records into the 1P4 vault that I had created.

If there's a way to synch the 1P6 vault with other devices I would much prefer that. Thanks.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Claude38,

1Password 6 for Windows is focused on our 1Password accounts and does not support local vaults at the moment. If you want to sync your data from 1Password 6 (your 1Password account) with other devices, please sign in to your account on those devices, move your data from Personal vault to your Dropbox (Primary) vault, and sign out of the account.

I hope this workaround will work for you, but please let me know if you have any questions about this process. We are here to help. :)

By the way, if there is any particular reason you don't want to use 1Password account? This is the best way to use 1Password right now. Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
    Greg

• Claude38
    Claude38
    Community Member
    Options

Greg,

I got the message below from another AgileBits tech support contact. I'm a little lost when you mention that 1P6 doesn't support local vaults and can't reconcile with the statement below that says I can synch between all my devices with no need for third party services.
    I don't want to have to move my vaults around on all my devices in order to keep them in sync. Which one is it with 1P6 - automatic synch or manual synch? And are there instructions documentation anywhere to help users through the config?
    Thanks,
    Claude

Hi Claude,

Thanks for taking the time to contact us and we apologize for not reaching out to you sooner. The subscription account you created is >the best way to use 1Password. It includes the latest versions of all the 1Password apps so you can get your passwords from your >computer, phone, tablet, and more. Your devices sync automatically — third-party services like Dropbox and iCloud are no longer >required. You can even share with your family: https://support.1password.com/why-account

If you have purchased the standalone version of 1Password within the last 30 days or so and wish to continue using your >1Password.com account, let us know a long with a copy of your purchase receipt.

Have a great weekend!

Thanks,
    Rob Hanslip
    AgileBits Support

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Claude38: Please don't take this the wrong way, but generally speaking it's impolite to post people's emails publicly on the internet.

I'm sorry for the confusion here. Greg and Rob are telling you the same thing, just phrasing it differently. I'll try another way: with a 1Password.com account, in addition to giving you access to all of the apps, the web interface, and doing away with license management, there is no sync configuration or 3rd party service/software to use: you simply login to your account to authorize a device and access your data. Whether you want to access your 1Password.com data in the browser or using the apps, you just use the Account Key and Master Password (which you mentioned setting up in your original post) to sign in and you're done:

Use 1Password on a new device

Local vaults are not a part of any of that. Since they're stored locally on your device, you'd need to sync them individually using something like Dropbox. But with a 1Password.com account you don't need to worry about that. Greg was trying to explain that if you don't want to use 1Password.com, you can go back to using 1Password 4 with local vaults and syncing your own data. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.