Using 1Password Vault on a PC where the 1Password app is not installed

Options

While I have a 1Password account for Mac and Windows, at work I use a Windows 10 PC on which I do not have admin privs, and my IT department doesn't allow 1Password to be installed. Currently, the only way I know how to use 1Password for web sites I access from that PC is to display them on my iPhone and type them into the web sites. Is there a way to use the password vault if I copy it from DropBox to my PC?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello there @nickditoro,

I am afraid there is no way to view your local vault on a PC without 1Password app installed. However, I would recommend you to take a look at 1Password accounts:

What are the benefits of a 1Password membership?

When you have 1Password account, your encrypted vault is stored on our servers and sync happens automatically (no need to use any third-party software). Moreover, you will be able to access your data via web-interface at 1Password.com.

Please let me know if you are interested, I will be happy to provide more information. :)

Thanks! :+1:

++
    Greg

• nickditoro
    nickditoro
    Community Member
    Options

Greg,

I have an account, and have licenses for 1Password on Mac and PC. I would like to know more about access through the web interface. Again, my work Windows 10 laptop is secured so that I cannot install the 1Password app. So if I browse to, say, my bank website, I pull up my password in my IOS 1Password vault and type it into the bank login screen. If there is a simpler way to do this, I'm all ears.

Thanks,
    Nick

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2017
    Options

@nickditoro: Sure! The 1Password.com web interface isn't as full featured as the native apps, but it will let you access all the vaults in a 1Password.com account and create, edit, and view items there. So you could use that to copy and paste. Not ideal, but better than typing by hand. Also, I'm not sure if this makes a difference in your case, but the new 1Password 6 Windows desktop app (which is used for 1Password.com accounts) does not require admin rights to install, in case you're only restricted in that way. Cheers! :)

• nickditoro
    nickditoro
    Community Member
    Options

Brent, my company uses a policy-enforcement tool called Evecto, but I'll try again to install 1Password. Of course, if the laptop gets seen by our desktop support team for any issue, they'll yank it. (Gotta love security policies.)

Thank,
    Nick

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@nickditoro: Okay, then I may have a better idea. It's probably no good getting them on your bad side! I'd say check out the web interface during your free trial and see how it suits you. And in the mean time, have our company contact us at support@1password.com and let us know more about their requirements and vetting process. Maybe we can work together to enable you and others there to use the full app in the future, rather than trying to skirt their policies. ;)

• nickditoro
    nickditoro
    Community Member
    Options

I don't know how to use the web interface. I tried logging into the web interface, but it requires a secret key, which I don't have since I have a standalone license. Please advise. Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@nickditoro: Indeed. As Greg mentioned in his first reply, it is only possible to access data remotely in the browser using a 1Password.com account. That's also the only way you'll have a Secret Key like it's asking for. You can try it free for 30 days and see how it fits in to your workflow. Cheers! :)

• nickditoro
    nickditoro
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks but why? Why would I want to buy a 1Password account when I've already purchased licenses for Mac and PC? From what I've read in your site, the secret key is for subscriptions that cover families or teams, neither of which is appropriate for me. Seems you guys don't really have a reasonable solution for me. Guess I'll keep typing passwords or find a different app.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@nickditoro: I am sorry for this ongoing confusion. We are working hard to make our message clearer.

We have a solution for individuals (not just families or teams). You can go ahead and sign up for Individual account on our website. With this account you will have all the benefits of our subscription service, including:

• All the apps, all the updates.
    • Web-interface at 1Password.com.
    • Multi-factor security model with the Secret Key.
    • No complicated third-party sync setup.

So you will be able to access your data at work. Please let me know if it clarifies the situation. Thank you! :+1:

Cheers,
    Greg

• nickditoro
    nickditoro
    Community Member
    Options

Greg, is there a cost for the subscription in addition to what I've already paid for licenses?

Thanks,
    Nick

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2017
    Options

@nickditoro: 1Password accounts are quite different from the existing licenses. The license does not include 1Password account and you check the current price on our website. We will reply to you via email with more info. Thanks for emailing us!

If you don't want to sign up for an account, you can continue using 1Password with a standalone license and a local vault, but you won't be able to view or edit your vault via web-interface at 1Password.com.

Please let us know what you decide. Thanks!

Cheers,
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.