Can't attach document to an item in Windows version.

Options

I have just started using version "6.4.377d" of "1Password" on Windows 10 (being a long-time user of 1Password for Mac). I do not seem to be able to find how to attach a document (e.g., PDF or screen snapshot in JPEG or PNG format) to a note in my personal vault (my DROPBOX-based vault seems to be read-only and I cannot add any new item to it or modify existing items, so, I have copied all the items from that vault to my personal one). Is it possible to attach documents to the Windows version of "1Password" or is this only available to the Mac version?

Regards,
Panos Tsapralis,
Systems engineer,
London, UK.

1Password Version: 6.4.377d
Extension Version: 4.6.3.90
OS Version: Microsoft Windows Ver.10.0.14393
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello there @ptsapralis,

I am sorry for the troubles with 1Password on Windows! Let me try to explain the current situation.

1Password 6 for Windows is focused on our 1Password accounts and does not support local vaults at the moment (that is why you can't edit your items in your vault synced via Dropbox). Moreover, in 1Password accounts we do not have attachments anymore. Instead, we have a new category – Documents.

You can upload all of your necessary files in the Documents category and then link them with the item in your vault. It looks like this in 1Password 6 for Mac:

However, linking is not available in 1Password 6 for Windows yet, but we are working really hard to make it happen. At the moment you can upload your files to Documents category by clicking on New Item > Document or New Item > Import files as Documents...

I hope it helps. If there is anything else we can help you with, please let us know. Thanks!

Cheers,
    Greg

• ptsapralis
    ptsapralis
    Community Member
    Options

Greg, thanks very much for the update. Based on your feedback, I have been experimenting during the last couple of hours to find out how things work between Windows and Mac versions. So, this means that I cannot autosync my items between my DROPBOX-based 1Password vault on my Macbook Pro and my account-based vault on my Windows laptop. When I add an item to my 1Password vault on the Macbook Pro, it appears in the "read-only" DROPBOX-based vault in the Windows version - but I need to copy that item to the "Personal" vault of my account on the Windows laptop in order to be allowed to modify it. And then modifications of items in the accounts-based vault on Windows cannot be applied automatically back to the equivalent items in the DROPBOX-based vault of the Macbook. Unless I convert my DROPBOX-based vault on the Macbook to an account-based vault, right? (At this moment, I cannot verify that I can use an account-based vault in the Mac version of the program, because I am away from my Macbook Pro - but I hope that it can be done, because - after your response - I found out that the iOS version of the program supports account-based vaults). If I copy all my items from my DROPBOX-based vault (on my Macbook) to an account-based vault, I have to locate all the documents, attached to these items in the DROPBOX-based vault, manually re-import them as "documents" and link them ("one-by-one") to the relevant items into the account-based vault. And I will loose these links when I auto-sync the items of the account-based vault on the Macbook to its "sibling" vault on the Windows laptop. I had not realized that there is quite a lot of distance between the Mac and Windows "worlds" of 1Password - I can only wish you put in place the missing blocks as soon as possible.

Regards,
    Panos.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ptsapralis: I am sorry for this inconvenience!

If you have a 1Password account, we recommend you to move all of your data from Primary (local) vault to Personal one and use it on all of your devices. Using both local vault and 1Password account can easily become confusing. As for the documents, we understand that the attachments migration is not ideal right now, so we are planning to improve it in the future.

I had not realized that there is quite a lot of distance between the Mac and Windows "worlds" of 1Password - I can only wish you put in place the missing blocks as soon as possible.

1Password 6 for Windows is a new app we are building from the ground up, so it is not completely fair to compare it with 1Password 6 for Mac, which has several years of development behind its back. :) We are working really hard to make it better and bring it to a feature parity with other platforms, and I hope it shows. You can stay updated with the latest release notes on our website.

If there is anything else we can help you with, please let us know. Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.