Can't Get 1password 6 to even run

Options
ravensword
ravensword
Community Member
edited April 2017 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Hello I have been using standalone 1password 4 for quite some time. Since there is absolutely NO way to sync it with my macs other than DROPBOX i upgraded to the personal/family version then downloaded 1password 6. I uninstalled 1P4. Installed 1P6 but it won't even launch.

I have since deleted all files in my documents related to 1P to no avail. The worst part is even after multiple restarts, Windows won't let me uninstall 1P6. The uninstall error message I get is "Unable to create a temporary file. Setup aborted. Error 5: Access is denied." Reinstalling 1P6 on top of itself did not resolve this issue.

I'm not sure where to go from here.

1Password Version: 6.5.401
Extension Version: 4.6.3.90
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: NONE

Comments

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @ravensword,

Thanks for writing in.

The issue is in the error message itself, you do not have permission to install or uninstall 1Password 6. The first thing to do is try using Microsoft's installer repair tool, it might be a bad Windows cache causing this issue. You can find it here.

After using the tool, see if uninstalling or installing 1Password 6 works now.

• ravensword
    ravensword
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Mike,

Thanks for responding to my post. I downloaded the installer repair tool and right now it doesn't present 1P6 in its list of programs it can help with, so I chose "Not listed" but then it asks for a "valid 38 character product code" for 1P6. I never entered one to install or activate it. Do you know what that product code is?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards

RS

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @ravensword,

That shouldn't be required. If you open up Control Panel and go to the Programs list, does it show 1Password? It is possible it is already removed.

If not, try installing 1Password 6 now, you can download the latest from here: https://1pw.ca/download/windows

• MikeT
    Options

Also, can you tell me what anti-malware solution you're using on the PC? It could be interfering with 1Password here.

• ravensword
    ravensword
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Mike,

To quickly answer a few of your questions:

• Yes, when I open up the Control Panel 1Password 6 still shows.
    • I tried installing over 1password6 using the link you provided. Nothing has changed.
    • I am using Windows Defender/Windows default protection (nothing on top of that). I regularly scan the machine with the free version of Malwarebytes.
    • I tried using the Microsoft Uninstaller again today. 1Password6 is still not in that list but two programs called "Name not available" were in that list. I was able to uninstall one of those but not the other one.

Thanks.

• ravensword
    ravensword
    Community Member
    Options

P. S. Subsequent runs of the MS Uninstall troubleshooter find no problems (it wont even show me a list of programs now. "Troubleshooting couldn't identify the problem."

• ravensword
    ravensword
    Community Member
    Options

I have it set to run on a non-boot drive. Right now it installs automatically to D://Users/(Username)/AppData/Local/

Not sure if this is correct. I tried removing the 1password folder found there but all the installer did was reinstall in the same place without asking me.

• ravensword
    ravensword
    Community Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

Ok sorry for the multiple posts. I managed to remove it, get it off the control panel list. So it installs and uninstalls correctly. However it still doesn't launch for whatever reason.

Edit: I first removed the folder on D. Then I used the control panel uninstaller which then asked me if I wanted to remove it from my programs list. I confirmed then used the 1P6 installer to install it o the C drive.

• ravensword
    ravensword
    Community Member
    Options

Ok so I restart my machine and boom 1password6 opens automatically ready for me to sign in. Looks like whatever issue it was is fixed. Maybe it didn't like being installed on the D drive.

Thanks so much for your help :)

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ravensword: That's great news! Thank you for keeping us posted. :+1: On behalf of Mike you are very welcome!

Please contact us anytime, if you bump into other difficulties, we are always here for you.

Cheers,
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.