Install 1Password Without Windows Admin Rights

Options

I am considering changing from my existing 1Password app to the 1Password service / subscription.

Can the Windows software for the subscription be installed without Windows admin rights? My work computer does not allow me to have admin rights and that makes getting special software installed difficult.

Just as a point of comparison, Dropbox allows you to install a user-specific (non-admin rights) version of their software, which is very nice.

And in case you didn't already know, your product and service is great!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: windows 7 enterprisse
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I am considering changing from my existing 1Password app to the 1Password service / subscription.

@Clavius: Great! Be sure to take advantage of the free trial first to get a feel for it.

Can the Windows software for the subscription be installed without Windows admin rights? My work computer does not allow me to have admin rights and that makes getting special software installed difficult.

Great question! Currently, we're using the generic Windows MSI installer, and this does require admin rights. However, we've really outgrown that in a lot of ways and we really don't need admin rights, so we're working on our own installer to solve this and make other improvements. I can't say when it will be ready, but we're working hard on it.

In the mean time, the subscription service also lets you access your data through 1Password.com, so that will at least allow you to use it in situations where you can't install the app.

Just as a point of comparison, Dropbox allows you to install a user-specific (non-admin rights) version of their software, which is very nice.

That's a great point. Often system administrators don't draw this distinction when setting policies, but you're right that a "user-only" install may work in some cases. 1Password 6 currently installs to the user profile, so I'd be interested to hear if that helps in your case.

And in case you didn't already know, your product and service is great!

Thank you for the kind words, and your support! 1Password isn't perfect, and neither are we, but we'll continue to strive to make it better. Our customers are awesome, and they deserve it! :chuffed:

• cmfrazier
    cmfrazier
    Community Member
    Options

I was excited to see that 1P6 installs to the user profile...but it requires .NET and that requires admin rights to install! I'll be excited for the non-admin installer when it gets here.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@cmfrazier: Likewise! It's still going to require .Net though, and I'm surprised that your admin doesn't allow you to update that. It's part of the OS. Looking forward to more flexibility with our own installer. :)

• cmfrazier
    cmfrazier
    Community Member
    Options

Good to know...calling IT now.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're welcome! If you can get results that quickly, you're very fortunate indeed! :lol:

• cmfrazier
    cmfrazier
    Community Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

@brenty Ugh, I hate IT departments. 4.5.2 is installed and no corporate apps 4.6.2 so they won't install

Could the browser extension get the data from my.1password.com eliminating the need for the client install?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@cmfrazier: Dang. Well, I didn't expect it would be that easy, but your last post gave me hope. :(

Unfortunately it isn't possible for the browser extensions to function without the apps, as that's where the "Brains" are. But you should (fingers crossed) at least be able to access your data through the 1Password.com web interface. Not ideal, but better than nothing.

4.5.2 is really old though, so I'd encourage them to update sooner rather than later to get all of the security, stability, and performance improvements.

• Mancolt
    Mancolt
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty - Is there any update on the 1password installer? I have the same situation at work. I got IT to install my initial version (6.4.377d), but the latest update will not install without admin it seems. And I don't want to keep bothering my IT team each time there's an update. Not to mention, I can't guarantee the person I get on the phone will allow me to update it.

Also, interestingly when I click update it's not prompting for admin credentials. It just doesn't update. I'm not even sure how IT would go about updating it for me, since it doesn't prompt them to login under an admin username. Do I need to completely uninstall and then reinstall the latest version?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Mancolt: Sorry for the trouble! It's admittedly non-obvious, but you should try it anyway: 1Password doesn't actually need admin rights, but it will ask for them during setup because it enables better diagnostics. But if you click "No" it can install just fine and fall back to a limited logging. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• Mancolt
    Mancolt
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty - Thanks for the quick response. I'm not sure what I was doing wrong, but I was just able to update it. I think I just never clicked that icon twice. It updated without any prompt for admin credentials, thankfully.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Great! To be clear, we're not happy about the confusing admin prompt. Hopefully we can eliminate the need for it altogether in the future, but for now at least the app installs and runs just fine without it. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.