Installing 1Password extension, it ask for permission to read/change your data. [Normal]

Options
George1932
George1932
Community Member
edited April 2017 in 1Password 4 for Windows

When I start to download the 1password extension for Chrome (Windows 10). I get a message that says that it can "Read and change all you data on the websites you visit" What is this all about? I don't want this!

1Password Version: 1password 4
Extension Version: ??
OS Version: W10
Sync Type: dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:When I start to download the 1password extension for Chrome (Windows 10). I get a message that says that it can "Read and change all you data on the websites you visit" What is this all about? I don't want this!

Comments

• MikeT
    edited April 2017
    Options

Hi @George1932,

Thanks for writing in.

Chrome is being very explicit about what permissions each extension need and that is a great thing but it can be confusing. In this case, 1Password needs direct access to your site's content in order to auto-save your data and to fill when you ask 1Password to fill. It has to change your site's login forms in order to fill, thus the change permission. Read is to read the login form in case you're signing in and we prompt you if you want to save this as a new Login item.

We're not collecting data on what you're visiting, we're analyzing the sites to know how to fill and how to save your data. Without this explicit permission from you, 1Password will not be able to fill or save your data. This is true for any password managers or any extension needs to fill/save.

• George1932
    George1932
    Community Member
    Options

OK sounds good. I was uneasy about the wording and thought I might have been spoofed or worse.
    Thanks, George1932

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Indeed, when in doubt, reach out. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.