I cant create new item and edit secure notes [Local vaults are not fully supported yet]

Options
HuuMiu
HuuMiu
Community Member
edited December 2016 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Hi
I am using 6.1.308 in WIN 10. I dont know why I cannot create new item and edit or create new secure notes. Could you please help. Moreover, using the browser extension in Chrome and Opera, when I sign in new password or new ID, the extension do not thing.
please help
Thanks

1Password Version:6.1.308
_Extension Version:
Not Provided
_OS Version: WIN10
_Sync Type:Dropbox

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @HuuMiu,

Thank you for reaching out. I am sorry for the confusion with 1Password 6.

The thing is that 1Password 6 is focused on our 1Password accounts and supports local vaults in read-only mode at the moment. That is why you can't create new items in your local vault or edit a secure note. The full support for local vaults is coming to 1Password 6, but I don't have any timeframe for you at this point.

If you want to use 1Password 6 to its full potential, you have to sign up for 1Password account and then move your data from your local vault in Dropbox to your 1Password account. We have a comprehensive guide on how you can do that here:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

If you are planning to use a local vault, it is safe to stick with 1Password 4 for the time being.

I hope it helps. Again, I am sorry for this confusion. If you have more questions, let me know, we are always ready to help.

Thank you!

++
    Greg

• HuuMiu
    HuuMiu
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Greg
    Thanks for your quick respond. I will try, but how safe comparison with Dropbox?

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@HuuMiu: You are very welcome!

The security and safety of your data is our top priority and we take it very seriously. If you are interested to learn more, please take a look at these articles on our website:

About the 1Password security model

About 1Password and your privacy

Moreover, when you have 1Password account, your data is protected not only by your Master Password, but by an Account Key as well. Combined with your Master Password, your Account Key works similarly to two-factor authentication (2FA) but is much more powerful:

About the Account Key

If you have any specific questions about security or safety, feel free to raise them. Thanks! :+1:

Cheers,
    Greg 8-)

• HuuMiu
    HuuMiu
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, in my understand, for the version 6. all the password will be stored in 1pass server? is it correct? so how difference between your new policy and last password? I move from Last password to 1password because I dont want to upload all data in provider's server.
    thanks

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@HuuMiu: We don't rely on "policy" to protect your data; rather, we use encryption. When you use 1Password, AgileBits never has access to your data, regardless of the setup you choose. Even with 1Password.com, your data is encrypted on your device, so all the server ever ends up with is an encrypted blob. And since the Account Key is created locally, your Master Password is only known by you, and neither is ever transmitted, no one — including AgileBits — has the means to decrypt the data.

You can read more details on how all of this works in our white paper, and don't hesitate to ask any other questions you may have! :)

• HuuMiu
    HuuMiu
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Brenty,
    I do not mention about the password or account key. I just want to be clear whether my data is uploaded to your server. In case your server (just in case, I do not mean anything, sorry to ask) is hacked, do I have any problem? your document is very technical for me, it is hard to understand.
    thanks very much

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@HuuMiu: Thank you for asking the right questions! :)

When you have 1Password account, your vault is encrypted with your Master Password (known only to you) and your Account Key (which is generated locally on your devices). Neither Master Password, nor Account Key is ever transmitted. Without both of these and the encrypted blob (stored on the server and accessed by your devices), your data is truly not something that can be accessed — by AgileBits or anyone else. Moreover, if you lose these, even you will not be able to access it.

I hope it answers your question. If you have any other concerns, please share them with us. We are here for you!

Cheers,
    Greg

• HuuMiu
    HuuMiu
    Community Member
    edited December 2016
    Options

Thanks Greg, It is clear now how it works. But I hope 1pass will support again the local vaults
    Best wishes

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@HuuMiu: You are very welcome! :+1:

If you want to use a standalone license and a local vault now, please download 1Password 4 for Windows. They are supported there. :)

Thanks!

++
    Greg

• d_thomson
    d_thomson
    Community Member
    Options

Apparently I just wasted a lot of time trying to get 1Password setup to replace my family's SplashID apps. After reading the doc it appeared I could use local vaults AND server vaults. Since I also did NOT want to store my data on someone's server I was planning to use server vaults only occasionally to share/move data. Now after multiple issues converting the SplashID data, finally getting everything working on my wife's Mac, I find out (only by looking here since there is not even a Windows manual for 1P6) that 1P6 on Windows does not support local vaults or DropBox synch, and 1P4 does not support server vaults.

Not impressed with your documentation or transparency about what works where. Guess I will look elsewhere.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @d_thomson,

I am really sorry for the inconvenience with 1Password 6 for Windows! We are building it from the ground up and it takes time to bring it to a feature parity with 1Password 6 for Mac. We want this transition period to be over just as much as you do and are working hard to make 1Password 6 for Windows better every day.

There is a lot of changes going on with 1Password 6 due to this, so it makes it really hard to update the documentation consistently. But you are right here, there is a room for improvements and we should be better at this. I apologise for that.

Is there a specific reason why you want to upload some of your passwords to a cloud in order to share them, but don't trust a cloud to store your data in general? Please let us know. Maybe we will be able to dispel your doubts and provide you with a perfect recipe. :)

Thanks in advance! Happy Holidays to you and your family!

Cheers,
    Greg

• HuuMiu
    HuuMiu
    Community Member
    Options

Hello Greg,
    I am go back this topic because I want to use 1pass 4 again. I could not download the previous version of app for IOS and Android for my Iphone and SS. Could you please let me know, how can I have the previous verion which is compatible with 1pass 4 and dropbox. Thanks

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello again @HuuMiu,

I am sorry to hear you want to go back to a local vault! Why did you decide to give up on 1Password account? Please let us know.

As for your question, there is no need to download previous versions of 1Password on iOS and Android, local vaults and sync via Dropbox are supported in the latest versions of 1Password on both platforms. Here is what you want to do:

1) Download 1Password 4 on your Windows PC.
    2) Download the latest version of 1Password on your iPhone and SS from App Store and Play Store.
    3) Sync your local vault via Dropbox. Here is our guide on that.

Please keep us posted about the progress. We will be happy to help, if you bump into any difficulties. Thank you!

Cheers,
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.