New Windows install sideways & terrified of other devices going same way

Options

I have read some of the other posts and confused on my next steps. I installed 1Password (version 6) on a new laptop and like others were oblivious to the version changes being so drastically different than my installations on multiple Macs and couple of Windows PCs. The bottom line is I can't get into 1Password on the new laptop and all my other devices appear to be okay for now. I use Dropbox to sync between the other devices and through the install on the new laptop thought I was doing the same, but can't get in through the local app install to validate now. I see the file syncing in the Dropbox folder.

Then I found out that I can't log into my.1password.com As pointed out in other postings, no way to reset, yada, yada, yada. So what is my next steps? If I uninstall and start over I'm concerned I don't do anything but waste a bunch of time.

Running 4.6.1.620 on my other PC and don't see anyway to work into figuring out the rest of my Secret Key or reseting my Master Password for the version 6 online access.

1Password has been a great tool and I have boasted about it to friends and co-workers for years. This migration to an online model (although might be a good strategic direction) was not smooth, nor probably considers systems that are not always connected to the Internet but access local systems requiring passwords (which is my case). I'm very concerned about locking myself out of my other devices.

Now what?

1Password Version: 4.6.1.620
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @pl188,

Thank you for using 1Password and contacting us! I am sorry for the confusion with 1Password on Windows. Let me try to explain everything.

It seems that you have been using a standalone license with a local vault in 1Password on all of your devices, synced via Dropbox. This license does not include 1Password account, which you created while trying to install 1Password 6 for Windows on your new PC.

Subscription-based 1Password.com accounts is the new service that we introduced last year and they are completely different from licenses or local vaults. You can learn more about this difference and the benefits of 1Password accounts on our website:

What are the benefits of a 1Password membership?

When you have 1Password account, your encrypted vault is stored on our server and you don't have to set up a sync option for it, so you do not need any third-party software.

I will tell my understanding of the situation you are in below, but please correct me if I am wrong:

• You have been using a local vault (synced via Dropbox) on your Macs and Windows PCs.
    • Then, you downloaded 1Password 6, which doesn't support local vaults at the moment, on your new Windows PC and created an account.
    • For some reason (it is possible that you created a different Master Password or made a typo) you can't access your 1Password account now, but you can unlock 1Password on all of your other devices, where you are using local vault synced via Dropbox.

Is this correct? Please note that your 1Password account is totally different from your local vault, so your data should be safe. You can also download 1Password 4 from our website and check if it works, while we are dealing with this account situation.

Looking forward to your reply!

Cheers,
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.