Old v6.x License Key with Latest Software Problems.

Options
David_Potts
David_Potts
Community Member
edited June 2017 in 1Password 4 for Windows

I have my 1Password Family License Key and am trying to setup 1Password on a new machine. I downloaded the latest software and it asks to log into my 1Password account. I don't have an account, I purchased the key in 2014 before the accounts existed. I have never had a problem in the past with this, but I see no where to enter my key, just asks me to log in. How can I enter my key into the software so that I can use what I have?

The attached image is all I see, I see no where to enter the key. The configuration options have nothing useful in them either.

1Password Version: 6.5.401
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @David_Potts,

Thank you for contacting us! I am sorry for the confusion with 1Password for Windows.

1Password 6 for Windows is focused on our subscription-based 1Password.com accounts and does not support local vaults and standalone licenses at the moment. If you don't want to use 1Password account and want to stick with a standalone license you have been using previously, you should stick with 1Password 4 for Windows.

If you are interested to learn more about 1Password accounts, please check this article on our website:

What are the benefits of a 1Password membership?

I hope it helps. If you have any other questions about 1Password, please let us know. Thank you!

Cheers,
    Greg

• David_Potts
    David_Potts
    Community Member
    Options

Got it, thanks.

Just an FYI, personally, I despise membership models, thus I'll never upgrade to it. I'm sure you're product continues to be excellent but, for me, it will be the end of the line. I love 1Password but this is one thing that I cannot get on board with. I'm sure that the marketing team has done their research and realized that they'll lose some customers going this way, and that's fine. I'm just sad because I love the product, I love the support that I've gotten when I've had a problem, and I would love to support every new version, but it will be time to move to another option.

Thank you for your help, it is appreciated.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@David_Potts: I am sorry to hear you feel this way about membership! :frown:

It wasn't our intention to alienate you in any way – we honestly believe that 1Password account is the best way to use 1Password right now. For example, using a local vault requires some advanced technical skills to set up and maintain sync and backups, while with 1Password account it all happens automatically and you don't have to worry about it.

If you ever change your mind or if you have any additional questions, please feel free to reach out to us anytime. We are always ready to help. Thank you!

Cheers,
    Greg

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@dahanbn: We're not working on local vault support right now and it isn't something we're likely to do in the near future. 1Password 6 has come a long way, but there's still a lot of features and improvements we need to complete sooner rather than later — especially with some huge browser changes coming.

And while 1Password 4 is not longer being actively developed as far as new features, we do have some improvements coming there as well (just released a new beta a few days ago) to ensure that folks who purchased licenses will be able to use it with upcoming browser releases.

• David_Potts
    David_Potts
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks guys. I hate to leave 1Password, he people, the product and everything has been great. Just subscription based anything is not something I can get behind. Heck, if it wasn't for my kids I would drop Netflix because it bothers me. As I get older, the more and more I want to be off the grid and not paying monthly for things.

I know it is the best product out there and I know the team behind it is great; but I cannot let myself sign into another contract. If I could buy it and keep it until the next revision I'd be in. I guess it makes me feel like I own something and not just use it. That's the old man in me.

Get off my lawn you young whimper snappers.

(Guess I need to get used to that)

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@David_Potts: The thing is that software licenses are not lifetime licenses. Usually, you still need to pay for the next major update, when it comes out. Considering all the fuss you have with setting up sync and backups for a standalone vault, 1Password accounts are much more convenient (I am using a family account myself). It is great, but in the end it is all a matter of taste.

Please feel free to contact us anytime with any questions. We hate to see you go and we will be happy to see you in the future. :+1:

Thank you once again!

Cheers,
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.