1Password 6 for windows NOT syncing properly

Options

Hello, I decided to try the 30 day trial and created an account ( I already own 1P4 for windows, iphone and ipad apps too) I went through the process as described, and in my account I clicked on 'get apps' to bring up the square barcode.

Instead of installing 1Password 6 for windows, I opened up my iphone and went to settings and added another account via the camera, using the barcode as described above. The iphone signed in OK and I was asked if I wanted to sync across to my new account, I said yes and the syncing to my new account started. A few minutes into the sync, I received a phone call forcing the iPhone to quit 1Password.

After the call, I opened up 1P on my iphone again and it looked like it had finished syncing, but when I looked closer, only 80 odd items out of my 570 items had been synced. I then installed 1P for windows 6 on my computer and followed the instructions for importing; I chose the dropbox folder, 1P folder and then the keychain. Still only 80 items synced! I tried it again, and this time, there were 100 items synced, so I did it AGAIN and then it went to 120 items. On closer inspection, although the number was increasing, I was actually just getting duplicated of logins! (seven of each roughly) :(

My original vault on my iphone and ipad were showing the correct amount of items (570) and I could access them all fine. I tried uninstalling 1P6 from my computer, uninstalled 1P on the iphone and restarted everything and installed everything from scratch -but to no avail! I then thought I would add my ipad as a new device, thinking I would get prompted to sync to the new vault as the iphone did, but no such luck that too was showing 80 (well 120 now) items too.

Dropbox is working and syncing fine with 1P4 for windows, iphone and ipad. It just doesn't play ball with 1P6!! I think that maybe the interruption form the phone call I received on my iPhone while it was syncing may have 'broken' the syncing process.

Can anyone help me please?

1Password Version: 4.61 beta and 6.6.439d
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: windows 10 64bit
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@EAPTCB: Thanks for reaching out. I'm sorry for the confusion there! I don't think anything is broken. It sounds like there may be some discrepancy with how things are setup across platforms. Can you check a few things for me?

1. Sign in to 1Password.com in your web browser. Do you see all of your data there?
    2. When you open 1Password for iOS Settings > Vaults, what do you see listed?
    3. Does this match what's shown in the vault menu (upper left) in 1Password on your PC?

It may be that you have different/multiple vaults/accounts setup in different places. Whatever is in the 1Password.com site should be reflected in the apps logged into that same account, and only that account, but if there are others that will confuse things.

Some you mentioned "Dropbox" and "4.61 beta" in your post, I think that might be whee you're getting mixed up. 1Password 4 and Dropbox are completely separate from 1Password.com, which requires 1Password 6 on Windows. Let me know what you find!

• EAPTCB
    EAPTCB
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty Hi, thanks for your response. OK, here's the things you wanted me to check:

1. Signed into 1P.com no, all my data is NOT there.
    2. Under settings > Vaults, I see the following starting from the top of the screen to the bottom;

"All Vaults 2 vaults" (multi color circle logo)

"Primary" (standard 1P logo)

"My Name"
    "Personal" -with the photo icon of me as setup in 1P online.

"ALWAYS OPEN TO"

"All Vaults"
    "select the vault to open to after launching 1Password."

"Add Demo Vault"
    "Sync Additional Vault"

If I click the ">" next to the first item on the list (muli color circle logo) I see:

"Vault for Saving Primary>"
    "items created while All vaults is active will be placed in this vault."

"VAULTS INCLUDED IN ALL VAULTS"

"Primary" (on)

"My Name"
    "Personal" (on)

3. NO, it does NOT match there is only my 1password 6 online vault shown.

Breaking News

EAPTCB has a light-bulb moment! The case of the Mysterious Vault is solved! (well actually, he didn't see the obvious!)

OK, so I think I know what was wrong, and thought I would share just in case there's other EAPTCB's out there :) :blush:

I recently installed my Windows installation on an SSD drive ( at this point you guys need no further explanation, but hey, I'll carry on) In a nutshell, I installed Dropbox in my mechanical 'D' drive to save space on the precious SSD and then a while ago I remember that Dropbox gave me an error message about syncing, and that I should re-install Dropbox. I forgot to choose the install path, and it installed on 'C' (SSD) - to further confuse the matter, I had an old keychain ( which turned out to be a problem for me in the past, to which you guys kindly sorted out for me) and kept this old keychain 'just in case'...

Long story short - 1Password 6 syncing with an old keychain ( the 'just in case' one) and 1Password for Windows 4 and iOS were pointing to the correct one! I have now deleted said 'just in case' keychain - Just In Case something like this happens again!

Thanks for your help @brenty it was only going through your list in order that made me have the epiphany :)

• EAPTCB
    EAPTCB
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty Thanks for your help. I followed your steps one at a time and this helped me to find the issue. I did give a very long and detailed explanation of what I did, but after trying to edit my post it disappeared! :angry: so here's the short version:

I had two Dropbox folders one on my SSD (C:) drive (from an old installation -with an old keychain I kept just in case) and my current installation on (D:) drive - to save precious space. 1Password 6 was pointing to the C: drive while 1Password 4 for windows and iOS were pointing to the correct one!

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @EAPTCB, thank you for getting back to us! I am glad to hear you've figured out what happened. :+1:

However, let me try to clarify the confusion that may be happening: the vault in Dropbox that you have been using in 1Password 4 for Windows previously is separate from 1Password account, which you created recently and started using with 1Password 6 for Windows. 1Password 6 does not support local vaults at the moment. So, basically, what you want to do to use your 1Password account is the following:

1) Add this account to your main device, where you have all of your data.
    2) Migrate your data from your local vault to your 1Password account.
    3) Get rid of the local vault and add this account everywhere instead.

Please let us know if this is what you've done. If you have questions or difficulties, we are always here for you. Thank you!

Cheers,
    Greg

• EAPTCB
    EAPTCB
    Community Member
    edited July 2017
    Options

@Greg thanks again. I'm trying out the 'new' 1Password and until my 30 days expire, I'm not sure if I'll be moving over yet. Therefore, if I follow your above instructions about deleting stuff, should I decide not to move to 1Password 6 does it mean I can Never go back to 1Password 4 for Windows? i.e. Would all my data be 'frozen' and inaccessible after that period?

Also, is there a search method for finding duplicate entries in their entirety, (not just duplicate passwords) reason I'm asking is due to all the trouble I had in my previous post, I've ended up with so many duplicates it's unreal. I would like to find all duplicates and have the option of purging them in one go.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @EAPTCB,

Thanks for writing back.

Therefore, if I follow your above instructions about deleting stuff, should I decide not to move to 1Password 6 does it mean I can Never go back to 1Password 4 for Windows?

Do not delete anything until you're sure you're moving to 1Password.com first.

Using the macOS or iOS version of 1Password, you can export or move your data back to the local vault but there may be some inconsistency since the data formats are different for local vaults and 1Password.com vaults.

i.e. Would all my data be 'frozen' and inaccessible after that period?

Frozen means you can't make any changes but your data is still accessible until you explicitly delete your 1Password account.

Also, is there a search method for finding duplicate entries in their entirety, (not just duplicate passwords) reason I'm asking is due to all the trouble I had in my previous post, I've ended up with so many duplicates it's unreal.

No, there isn't anything like that in 1Password, especially for migrations due to differences in data formats.

If you still have your local vaults, the best thing to do is move everything in your 1Password account to the Trash and migrate your data again but do not allow your device to sleep or do anything until the migration is done. I would recommend doing it on the desktop; import your local vault directly into your 1Password account.

• EAPTCB
    EAPTCB
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you so much! Just one other thing, I notice in the iOS Apps I only get an upgrade option of monthly recurring. No annual. Is annual only via website?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@EAPTCB: While it wasn't possible originally, 1Password for iOS does also have an annual option now. But I'll be honest, as much as I like using iTunes/App Store in most cases (so I can use my gift card balance), I do find that it's a bit of a hassle to manage. For example, you might have to cancel your current subscription to get the current options. Theres no risk to doing so, but we've put a lot of effort into making 1Password.com billing really painless, so you may want to try that instead. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.