Deleting Vaults

Options
2»

Comments

• manxman
    manxman
    Community Member
    Options

Please advise how to delete a vault: exactly how: what tool, screen, correct name, steps. Post a video on you tube.
    Aleen does not seem to know how or explain well. Latest 1Password, subsrciption model.

• Jacob
    edited February 2018
    Options

@manxman To delete a vault, sign in to your family account on 1Password.com, click your family name in the top right and choose Admin Console, then click Vaults, select your vault and click Delete Vault. More details on this, as well as vault management in general, are available in this article:

Create, share, and manage vaults

If you're watching a video from Aleen, it's likely older. I can let the video team know you asked about a vault management video :) Hope that helps!

• manxman
    manxman
    Community Member
    Options

HI there Jacob,
    there is no admin console, and I dont have a family account.
    Regards
    KK

• Hi @manxman,

For vaults that you have created, like your DOCS vault, you can delete the vault from your Home page. Click on the pencil in the vault card to edit the details of the vault and you should get an image similar to the following.

From there you can click on Delete Vault and follow the prompts to delete your vault. I hope that helps.

• manxman
    manxman
    Community Member
    Options

Great it worked, thanks very much Geoff. The feature is in an odd place: edit.

• I am glad it worked.

I agree that it is a bit oddly placed, but we didn't want to put it somewhere where it would be clicked accidentally :)

• abc2mit
    abc2mit
    Community Member
    edited May 2017
    Options

PSA: It looks like you can now delete the primary vault (at least since 1Password 6.7.1).
    1. Make sure you're logged into your 1Password Families account in 1Password.
    2. Select your primary vault.
    3. Go to the 1Password menu.
    4. Select "Delete vault..." It will then ask you to enter your 1Password Families account password to change the primary password.
    5. Your local primary vault is now gone.

To the agilebits engineers: It would be nice to be able to use a local password instead of the account password. I would like to have two different passwords: one is for my local copy of 1Password, the other is for my online account. The reason is, a website can be attacked/hacked from anywhere but my local computer requires actual physical access in addition to either TouchID or the system password (or maybe only allow for a local password if a system password is set). The convenience of 1Password is that I can have a simple, quick local password that I can use to unlock 1Password which then gives me access to myriad passwords on all my websites. If I'm constantly re-entering my account password that is now at least 10 characters long (mine is 20), it slows my entire workflow down. This then encourages people to set shorter passwords, which means shorter account passwords because the password length is not enforced in the app. This can potentially compromise security (you should do a security audit to see how many users have changed their master password to 'password'/Pa$$w0rd/1234'), which means now all the user's vaults and passwords are exposed.

• gregramsaran
    gregramsaran
    Community Member
    Options

You guys at 1Password are awesome! Love the proactive support and ability to remove the vault(s) without killing the data, just in case we should need it. Finally moved over to 1password.com & I can't wait for your next hat trick!

• @gregramsaran Thank you so much for the kind words, it’s users like you that motivate the team here at AgileBits and keep us going. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@abc2mit: If it helps, you could create a local vault with a different Master Password in 1Password for Mac and simply not use that vault; you'll still be able to unlock the app with its Master Password.

However, this (like your comments about using a shorter password because you enter it a lot) isn't something we recommend. Using a long, strong, unique Master Password is crucial because this is fundamental to your security. I know it can seem onerous, but if you think about it it's much, much easier to remember and type a single good Master Password than more than one weak one, and both become easier with time and practice as well. Cheers! :)

• learning_1pw
    learning_1pw
    Community Member
    Options

I agree with brenty that long passwords are the way to go. I like the dice words approach. I have a few suggestions for abc2mit that may ease the workflow. On the Mac app, you can go into preferences and increase the amount of time before the app locks. It is in the Security tab. On IOS devices, you can set a PIN for unlocking the app. I usually set the PIN if I am going to be using 1Password a lot, and then turn it off again when I'm finished. I'm probably being extra paranoid in turning it off, because you still have to enter the actual password if the device has been turned off.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@learning_1pw: Great suggestion regarding the 1Password for Mac security preferences! You may also want to take another look at 1Password for iOS Settings > Security. Rather than enabling and disabling the PIN repeatedly, you could change the locking behaviour there. I use Touch ID so I don't recall if this also applies to the PIN setting, but you may find something in 1Password Settings > Advanced > Security as well. :)

• learning_1pw
    learning_1pw
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Brenty. Although I have auto lock set for 5 minutes, 1Password still seems to lock whenever I switch to a different app and then back to 1Password on iOS devices. That's why I use the pin. Touch ID is probably a better solution, but I have never turned it on. I'm too old fashioned.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@learning_1pw: You should really try Touch ID. It is much more secure than a 4-digit PIN, and a lot more convenient as well. However, it sounds like what you really need to do first is disable Lock on Exit. If that is enabled, then, like you said, 1Password will lock any time you switch away from it — which will often be before the timer kicks in. Hope that helps! :)

• learning_1pw
    learning_1pw
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, brenty, for the Lock on Exit tip. I had misinterpreted that phrase. I was thinking that if I turned that off, that 1Password would not lock when I quit the program (double click on home button and sweep up the application). On your suggestion, though, I turned Lock on Exit off and quit the program. I was pleased to see that 1Password does indeed require the master password when I restart it. Now that you have given me a better understanding of what Lock on Exit really means, I'll leave it turned off. Thanks for your help.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks, brenty, for the Lock on Exit tip.

@learning_1pw: You're welcome! :chuffed:

I had misinterpreted that phrase. I was thinking that if I turned that off, that 1Password would not lock when I quit the program (double click on home button and sweep up the application).

That's understandable. I do want to mention that in general it isn't beneficial to kill apps in this manner. iOS handles this in the background automatically, and launching an app that's been killed uses more power (and therefore battery) than if you'd left it alone and let iOS pause it in the background while not in use. Of course, sometimes it's necessary to kill a frozen app though! But also, I find killing apps manually is just tedious. Just a thought. ;)

On your suggestion, though, I turned Lock on Exit off and quit the program. I was pleased to see that 1Password does indeed require the master password when I restart it. Now that you have given me a better understanding of what Lock on Exit really means, I'll leave it turned off. Thanks for your help.

Cool. I think a lot of people prefer this setting, but we do want to default to tighter security to be on the safe side. Glad that helped! :)

• learning_1pw
    learning_1pw
    Community Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

Thanks, brenty, for the tip on not killing iOS apps. I hadn't thought of that..

• Frank
    Options

On behalf of Brenty, you're very welcome @learning_1pw :+1: To be honest I'm one of those people swiping up to close apps running in the background. I'll have to follow Brenty's advice here as well. I blame my OCD :lol: Have a great rest of your day!

• randy_g
    randy_g
    Community Member
    Options

This has probably been covered elsewhere, but I wanted to say that I find having a vault named "Personal" that can neither be deleted nor renamed is kinda suboptimal. We want to have more than one vault that is personal, using our names to identify them, and this generic one that shows up by default is uselessly in the way.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@randy_g: Can you be more specific about how you're using 1Password that it gets in the way? It sounds like you're trying to share everyone's personal named vaults with everyone else. The Personal/Private vault exists so that each user has a place to store things without them being shared. You may have different expectations or wishes, but for most folks this is pretty important.

• dbabq
    dbabq
    Community Member
    Options

I thought I followed the instructions provided above by abc2mit for deleting the primary vault, but the option to delete the vault is grayed out. The primary vault is from my old personal installation of 1Password. But I just upgraded to the Family plan and no longer need the primary vault. I have already moved everything out of the primary vault and into one of the new family vaults.

• Frank
    Options

Hi @dbabq - By any chance do you have a secondary local vault besides your Primary vault? Any secondary vaults have to be removed first before the Primary vault can be deleted. If so, just follow the steps below but delete the secondary vault first then the Primary -

Open and unlock 1Password on your Mac. Click 1Password in the menu bar > Select "Switch to Vault" and choose Primary from the list. Click 1Password in the menu bar and select "Delete Vault" from the drop down list. You will have to enter your master password before you can delete the vault.

Keep me posted and let us know if this helped or if you're still running into trouble :smile:

• dbabq
    dbabq
    Community Member
    Options

I do have a secondary vault stored locally. I'll give your suggestion a try tomorrow. Thanks for the prompt response.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Sounds good! We're here if you need us. :)

This discussion has been closed.