1Password browser extension constantly loses focus

Options
flw
flw
Community Member

When using the 1Password browser extension in Firefox, it constantly loses keyboard focus. This means that I have to be careful not to type my 1Password master password (or other sensitive information) into something else than the 1Password browser extension.

Note that even typing the password into the browser's address bar (without pressing ENTER) already sends information to Google and may store the password somewhere on the local disk. Similar things may happen when typing on websites or native apps of any kind.

This is both an annoyance and a security problems and should be fixed.

1Password Version: 6.6.439d
Extension Version: 4.6.7
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @flw,

Thanks for writing in. We do agree it is a high-priority issue and we're trying to track down the cause but so far, none of us can reproduce the focus issue. Worse, the few users that have reported it said it was intermittent.

Can you email us your 1Password diagnostics report, so we can start tracking down what may be the cause on your computer? Please use this guide to generate the report and email it to us at support+windows@agilebits.com. Also, in the email, include the link to this thread along with your forum username, so that we can connect the email to this thread.

Let us know here when you've sent it, so we can confirm we got the email.

• flw
    flw
    Community Member
    Options

Diagnostics report has been sent.

One issue that occurs consistently is that if 1Password is already unlocked, then it does not initially get focus when clicking on the 1Password icon. For example if I click the icon now and type, then I will be typing in the comment box of the forum, rather than the 1Password search box.

However, if I lock and unlock, I cannot consistently reproduce the issue.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @flw,

Yep, the question is what is stealing the focus away from 1Password. You might want to read my posts here to see what 1Password mini is doing.

• flw
    flw
    Community Member
    Options

So basically, the problem is that it is actually a native app, not part of the browser extension, and you use hacks to bring it to the front and give it focus?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

No, not really. As Mike mentioned, something else is stealing focus from 1Password when it's invoked, so getting some more information may help shed some light on what's happening. Hopefully we'll be able to discover why this is happening to you and a few others so we can find a solution. Thanks in advance! :)

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2017
    Options

Hello @flw,

Just wanted to let you know that we found a report from you and will get back to you via email as soon as possible. Thank you!

ref: GAG-34139-468

• flw
    flw
    Community Member
    Options

Is there any way to see what app / process / thing has the focus at a given moment? Maybe I can help finding out what it is that is stealing focus...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Not that I'm aware of. It's possible even for background processes to take focus away from other apps, though they shouldn't do this. Let's continue the conversation via email to avoid confusion.

This discussion has been closed.