Accessibility of 1Password Extensions and 1Password App

Options

My name is Nimer, a new 1password user. I am transitioning from lastpass, and am having some struggles, particularly as it relates to accessibility.

1. When using the Firefox extension, pressing the applications key or right-clicking brings up an option for 1password. I would love to see a submenu be implemented, where the user would have the ability to select logins associated with that particular site, the option to generate a new password, etc.
  2. I would love the option of a hotkey to generate a new password... I looked at the list of hotkeys that is provided on the support site, however there is nothing about generating a new password. I found out that I can generate a new password by opening the 1password application, creating a new item, locating the button to generate a password, and activating that... when I do that, I seem to get stuck in the list of generation options, and can't seem to get out... pressing escape or another key should minimize those options and allow me to get at the generated password. Ideally, a hotkey to generate the password would also fill in the URL information for that site... submitting the registration information should prompt me to save the generated password and associate it with that URL.
  3. I don't seem to be able to access password generation with password mini... this is with the NVDA screen reader.

Thank you for considering these suggestions. They really would help me be more productive.

1Password Version: 1Password 6 Beta, and latest Firefox extension
Extension Version: Latest extension
OS Version: Windows 10 latest insider
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• nimerjaber
    nimerjaber
    Community Member
    Options

Oh... I missed a point... I am wondering what the keyboard shortcut is, or how I would go about selecting a second or third login associated with a site... as an example, I have several Google accounts. I may not want the default account to be filled in when I press Control+... that would be a great option to add to a submenu as well, the ability to select the account to be filled in.

Thanks again.

• Hi @nimerjaber,

Thanks for contacting us.

The behaviour you're looking for in the extension regarding selecting existing login items is really the default, minus the submenu.
    If you are on a site that you have more than one login item saved for, pressing Ctrl + \ will present you with a list of the available login items that match the URL, that you can navigate using the arrow keys and confirming by pressing Enter.

Regarding the password generator. There is an option for this right in the 1Password mini view (the extension, essentially) but from what you're saying it's not accessible to screen readers.

We are very much aware of shortcomings in 1Password relating to accessibility and we apologise for it. We're working on fixing them and would be very grateful for your feedback once we release a new version with accessibility improvements in the not too distant future.

Cheers,

Alex

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@nimerjaber: I just wanted to reach out to know that we've just released version 6.7 with fixes for some accessibility issues. You'll get it automatically in the background when 1Password does an update check while it's locked, but you can get it right away by manually checking for updates in settings or directly from our site:

https://app-updates.agilebits.com/product_history/OPW6

I'd love to get your feedback when you have a chance. We're not there yet, and we'll continue to make more improvements. Thanks again for bringing this up! :)

• nimerjaber
    nimerjaber
    Community Member
    Options

Hello,

Thank you so much fro the new update. It certainly has fixed a lot of issues with accessibility. The biggest struggle fro me at this point is the password generation. I am running the latest beta on both iOS and Windows, by the way, and I really appreciate the accessibility enhancements on those platforms. I also have run it on Android, and it works well.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Likewise, thank you for your feedback and patience while we worked on this. It sounds like you're having some trouble navigating the password generator. If so, please let us know!

• nimerjaber
    nimerjaber
    Community Member
    Options

Hello,

I am having a problem accessing the password generator. I have been unable to find where or how to access it outside of the main 1password app on Windows using NVDA. In the main 1password application, I am able to find where to generate the password. Tabbing around speaks unlabeled edit boxes. Once I press on generate password, I seem to get stuck tabbing around the password generation box. I can adjust the options, but I can't seem to be able to tab out of that box to be able to access the password... also, it would be great if there was a way to access the password generation in the browser extension or in the mini 1password.

Thank you again for all you are doing!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@nimerjaber: Likewise, thanks for the continued feedback. If it helps you in the mean time, pressing Esc will back you out of the password generator and the generated password will be selected.

But indeed, while you can get to the password generator easily when creating/editing a Login item in the main 1Password app, in 1Password mini it isn't accessible (Settings also). We'll get this fixed.

ref: OPW6-1358, OPW6-1359

This discussion has been closed.