Options
firemansam87
firemansam87
Community Member
edited August 2017 in 1Password 4 for Windows

It has been an issue the has been bugging me for a long time. When you generate a password for a new login it is saved in the passwords as "Password". I used to keep passwords for encryption as a note but found it annoying to have to highlight the password and copy it. I now create a password where you just hit the copy button and be done. The problem I still have is that I just want to be able to scroll through the few passwords that I have and not through 10's, 100's of "Password" to get to the one I want.

My recommended solution, have "Passwords" and "Generated Passwords"

Regards,
Samuel

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@firemansam87: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! The "Passwords" item category/type exists solely as a "safety net" for generated passwords. If you're anything like me, you've made a mistake or simply encountered a problem site, in either case ending up not having valid login credentials saved for the site. Normally, this gets you locked out, but 1Password saves generated passwords you use (when copying or filling) as Password items so we have them if needed. Now, ultimately this doesn't come up ofter, but I suspect you're using 1Password 6 and are simply seeing these more than you'd like when using 1Password mini in your browser. This is a filtering/UI issue we'll be addressing in a future update, even though we won't be removing/limiting 1Password's saving of these. Cheers! :)

• firemansam87
    firemansam87
    Community Member
    Options

G'day Brenty,

Yes I am using the latest v6 for Windows.

So from what I can gather the 1Password Mini is supposed to (will eventually) filter these out and not show the generated passwords, only the actual passwords created by the user. I can see this in my current Mini.

Just to clarify, I add my own saved passwords in the "Password" category. Mainly encryption passwords for external HDD backups. If I want to retrieve a password I always enter the 1Password application. I guess you don't have any plans in the application to filter these in any way, just in the Mini. As you can probably see this is where the issue lies for me in the application with my own passwords and the generated ones from signing up to websites etc.

In my eyes the solution I would like to see is separate categories. Passwords for user created entries and Generated Passwords for automatically generated passwords from form filing.

Thanks for your reply Brenty!

Samuel

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

So from what I can gather the 1Password Mini is supposed to (will eventually) filter these out and not show the generated passwords, only the actual passwords created by the user. I can see this in my current Mini.

@firemansam87: Correct. This is something we'll be changing in a future update, so that Password items are not shown by default when Logins are present.

Just to clarify, I add my own saved passwords in the "Password" category. Mainly encryption passwords for external HDD backups. If I want to retrieve a password I always enter the 1Password application. I guess you don't have any plans in the application to filter these in any way, just in the Mini. As you can probably see this is where the issue lies for me in the application with my own passwords and the generated ones from signing up to websites etc.

Totally. Thanks for clarifying! I'd still recommend against doing that, as the Passwords category is designed with a different purpose in mind. You can of course do this anyway if you wish, but you'll be swimming against the current to some extent. Ultimately it's easier to save something like that as a Login instead, and these can be explicitly excluded from being shown in the browser as well on a per-item basis.

In my eyes the solution I would like to see is separate categories. Passwords for user created entries and Generated Passwords for automatically generated passwords from form filing. Thanks for your reply Brenty!

Likewise, thanks for sharing your use case! I don't expect we'll be doing that just because the Passwords category has been around for a long time in this form and changing it — or adding a very similar category in addition to it — would cause a lot of confusion, even more than cases like this. What we'd really like to do is make it possible for users to create their own custom item types in the future, which would be a lot more flexible — and then you could have just what you want yourself without it confusing anyone else. Cheers! :)

• firemansam87
    firemansam87
    Community Member
    Options

Yes that is another solution to the problem, being able to create your own categories. And like you say, changing to suit one person, will cause problems for other people. Creating your own categories would be the way to go. I will be looking forward to this feature!

Thank you for your help!

Samuel

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Any time! We're here if you have any other comments, questions, or suggestions. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.