windows password file disappeared

Options

logged in to my 1 PW 4.6.1.620
synched / stored in my pc's Dropbox folder not shared
PC "vault" gone loads an old demo folder from 2014
ipad and Mac OK , stored locally and synched with DBox

The terror of this same thing on another program led me to 1PW
Can you help me restore
I am in terror of synching the surviving computers to a dead file and obliterating everything

Also
second thread
I bought 1PW for all my machines from you years back
You have made changes I don't follow, with terminology I am not following
I do not know the difference between what I had with machines syncing local files with drop box to what you are doing with 1PWaccounts"

a range of new terms has totally lost me
you keep talking of features that may be "Cool" for corporate road warriors with teams of spys to track , but are making the program an annoyingly complex to the point of unusable.

I can't access the AgileBits Customer Center because my account number and password are stuck in 1PW!

is there a way to get a simple glossary and graphic description of this program for non programmers?
I have no way to get help other than a public forum, the equivalent of going to a street corner and screaming for help.
sigh

Also the firefox extension hasn't worked for some time

1Password Version: above
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10 pro they dont show versio
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• Iwouldrathernot
    Iwouldrathernot
    Community Member
    Options

Resolved and restored , but had to quit windows, allow it to do an update and reload.
    Whew

my comments about needing a simple graphic level reintroduction to the program stands

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @Iwouldrathernot,

Thank you for reaching out and keeping us posted! I am glad to hear you've managed to restore your vault. :+1:

I am sorry for the confusion with standalone licenses and 1Password accounts. It was never our intention to confuse you with "new terminology". Since you are using a standalone license with a local vault (synced via Dropbox), you do not have a 1Password.com account. The latter is the new way of using 1Password, which we introduced last year, and it requires subscription. You can learn more about it on our website:

What are the benefits of a 1Password membership?

If you are not interested in using 1Password account, you can continue using 1Password the way you used to – with 1Password 4 and a local vault. We are planning to bring local vaults support back in 1Password 7 for Windows, but I do not have any timeframe for you at this point.

I hope it helps and makes the situation clearer. As for 1Password extension in Firefox, I think I know what happened. Please do the following to enable Native Messaging in 1Password 4:

1) Update to the latest version of 1Password 4, Firefox, and the extension, which all support Native Messaging.
    2) Close Firefox.
    3) Go to 1Password 4 > Help > Advanced and make sure that you have Native Messaging enabled there.
    4) Go to 1Password 4 > Help > Restart 1Password Helper.
    5) Launch Firefox.

You should be all set after that, but please let me know if it works for you. Thanks!

Cheers,
    Greg

• Iwouldrathernot
    Iwouldrathernot
    Community Member
    Options

Greg, thanks so very much

thanks for the link

FF extension is greyed out after your recommend steps ?!

3) ** Go to 1Password 4 > Help > Advanced and make sure that you have Native Messaging enabled there.**
    does not appear in the help advanced menu
    Extention is installed but icon in taskbar is greyed out
    1PW works ok thu the main program

4) **4) Go to 1Password 4 > Help > Restart 1Password Helper****
    also not in help menu

I sent a report to help by email
    1.1 Start Date : Thu, 7 Sep 2017 09:32:29 -0500

I am bombarded by asynchronous updates across devices
    and grew timorous when one crashed my former password program
    initiating one of the more painful restores I have had to do over the past 34 years of computer use.
    this left me very reluctant to update until new versions are out for a while.
    they also lock up the devices at all the wrong moments :-(
    a mixed blessing I know, but all is up to date now.

I was once up on maintaining devices
    Now I find myself becoming like my wife, who gave me back her Ipad because the screen kept rotating

• Iwouldrathernot
    Iwouldrathernot
    Community Member
    Options

update remove icons
    then crashed downloading 1PW icons
    sigh

• Hi @Iwouldrathernot,

Are you checking in the main 1Password 4 program window like this:

This discussion has been closed.