1Password 6 has different device Master Passwords - not sure how I did that.

Options

Hi,

I use 1Password6 Teams and have it on several devices (3 x Windows 10; 2 x iOS).
I have a password to access our teams web site at xxx.1password.com - let's call this password AAA

On one of my Windows 10 machines the password to unlock the 1Password6 app is password AAA
On another Windows 10 machine the password to unlock the app is password BBB.
You can guess that causes me confusion.
Both apps are on 6.7.457

What I really want to do is standardise both devices on password BBB, but I can't find any button in the 1Password 6 app that allows me to change the local password for the app. But I must have done it at some point or I wouldn't have AAA and BBB.
Just to be clear, I don't want to change the password to access the teams account on the web. That can stay as AAA. I only want to update the device password.

Not sure if its a clue, but the two Windows 10 machines I refer to also have a Folder based Vault (via DropBox) added in as well. I have a theory that I may have added that folder on each device in a different order and that may relate to whether the local master password can be changed.

Thanks for your help.
Paul.

1Password Version: 6.7.457
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Teams / DropboxFolder

Comments

• Hey @paulc456765! The folder vault is definitely a clue. 1Password will unlock with the Master Password for the first vault or account you added, so if you added that folder vault first on one machine and the account first on the other, that may well have led to your differing Master Passwords. In addition, we did once have the option to change the local Master Password in 1Password 6, so you also could have changed that on one machine and not the other.

We've since removed the ability to change the local Master Password in 1Password 6 for Windows, because it was causing folks to believe that they changed their account Master Password when they did not and lead to them getting locked out. We've also removed the ability to add a folder vault as 1Password 6 only ever had limited support for standalone vaults to facilitate importing -- something that's no longer necessary. This means that you may not be able to change that local Master Password on the AAA machine without losing access to your folder vault in 1Password 6, but since you have some iOS devices in the mix, we might be able to do something here. Could you let me know if the iOS devices a) have that standalone vault added as well and b) if they use AAA or BBB as their Master Password.

Thanks! :chuffed:

• paulc456765
    paulc456765
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for answers, I think its starting to make sense.

FYI -
    The folder/Dropbox vault has a password of BBB.
    Both iOS devices have password BBB.

It's certainly possible on one of the Win 10 machines when setting up 1P6 I may have added the folder Vault first; and on the other machine I connected to Teams first.

Interesting you say there used to be a button, I'm pretty sure I recall seeing that and used it, but since its not there anymore, I also thought maybe I was making stuff up. :chuffed:

My overall setup may be slightly fringe, but it goes something like this and it may shed some light on why this could occur for people and why it's a bit awkward for me.

When I'm at work and on work computers I use 1P6 windows app with my work password AAA. The only vaults available are the company team vaults. I would never add anything personal of mine into any of these vaults (good work/personal separation). So this works perfectly.

But...
    I also work from home, and so on my home computer I also need access to work stuff and because I love 1P, I of course use it for personal things - these are in a folder/DropBox vault. Ideal for me in this scenario is to have access to all my personal vaults/info (banking etc) **and ** the company vaults. When working from home, I really want 1P6 app to be unlocked by my personal password BBB.

Mobile Devices probably work the best for me as the iOS apps allow seamless access to team vaults and folder vaults via DropBox. Even allowing moving items between if required (so good!). And it seems on Mobile devices I can change device/master password to anything I want which is great. To me this is the perfect setup, and I would love that experience to appear in 1P6 for windows.

There will be different opinions around this kind of setup, but I think it relates to the work vs personal mix.

People who only use 1P teams in their work life and don't use 1P personally will be fine.

People who have very strong separation between work / personal stuff (ie, no work from home) will be fine. At work they connect to some vaults; at home different vaults, with total isolation.

But 'hybrids' (like me) who need 1P apps to function with work and personal vaults are a bit stuck I think (on Windows); I believe on Mac/iOS it's a pretty good experience.

That's sort of a summary of how I'm using 1P - just thought I'd provide that so you can understand why I have my original AAA/BBB problem, and maybe see if there is a different way I could do things.

Paul.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@paulc456765: Thanks for taking the time to elaborate. I actually do something similar myself. I'm not sure we want to optimize 1Password for this use case since it doesn't seem to be common, but it's certainly something we can take into account as we design future versions. We do want to make sure that 1Password is a smooth experience for as many people as possible, and I'm sorry that in this case that means some inconvenience and confusion for you. We'll see what we can come up with. Certainly in the future with the addition of full local vault support in 1Password 7 on Windows, that will help to some extent. I can't give a time frame on this, but it's something we've announced we're doing — and it would be great to get your feedback on it once we get closer, perhaps in a beta. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.