As a 1password member, how can I use a standalone vault on Windows?

Options

Here is my dilemma...

I purchased a 1Password.com membership, but WILL NOT put my passwords in the 1Password.com cloud, as I'd prefer to manage my vaults on my own. This has not been a problem on 1Password 6 for Mac/Android/iOS as all 3 of those apps support both the membership (for licensing purposes) as well as standalone vaults.

On Windows however, it appears that I am unable to have my cake and eat it too here. That is, 1Password 4 requires a license key, while 1Password 6 doesn't support standalone vaults.

...So my question here is: How can I use my 1Password membership to access my standalone vault on Windows without having to upload my vault to 1Password.com?

1Password Version: 4.6.1
Extension Version: ???
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Standalone (Dropbox)

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @nickwilsonr,

Thank you for reaching out! I am sorry for this inconvenience with 1Password on Windows.

The thing is that your 1Password.com subscription does not include 1Password 4 for Windows, it is an old app and we no longer market it on our website. We are planning to bring local vaults support back in 1Password 7 for Windows, but I do not have any timeframe for you at this point.

Please send us a message to support+windows@agilebits.com and we will see what we can do for you in this situation. Also, please let me know if there is any particular reason why you do not want to use your 1Password account. It is much more convenient. :) Thanks!

Cheers,
    Greg

• Logic Bus
    Logic Bus
    Community Member
    Options

I've been using 1Password on Mac since 2010 and on Windows and iOS since 2011. I chose 1Password over competing products because it offered multi-device sync without charging an annual fee. I created a Dropbox account so that I could sync my 1Password data across multiple devices.

And now, what I saw as 1Password's killer feature -- muti-device sync with no subscription fees -- is brushed off as inconvenient.

I'm a power user. I can handle a little less convenience. What I can't handle is a product that doesn't work, which is what 1Password 6 is. Without the no-subscription option, 1Password has no feature to differentiate it from competitors. If I were looking for a password manager today, I don't think I'd pick 1Password.

• Hi @Logic Bus,

Thanks for writing in.

I chose 1Password over competing products because it offered multi-device sync without charging an annual fee.

And we will continue to do so once we release 1Password 7 for Windows will full support for local vaults and your way of syncing it. In addition, while we may not charge annual fees, we do charge upgrade fees for new versions of 1Password on each platform. Part of the benefit of the 1Password.com membership is that all 1Password apps are included as well as future versions, no one has to deal with upgrades, licenses, syncing, and more. As soon as you sign in, your data is ready and 1Password is already up to date. As a power user, you may not have any problems. However, majority of our customers are not, they're family members, friends and so many that never used a password manager, nor have they used Dropbox before.

And now, what I saw as 1Password's killer feature -- muti-device sync with no subscription fees -- is brushed off as inconvenient.

I'm a power user. I can handle a little less convenience.

That isn't what we hear from majority of our customers. The amount of time we've spent on helping customers deal with sync issues with Dropbox, iCloud, and many more is huge, it drains a lot of resources from us and that takes time away from improving 1Password for everyone. The moment we released 1Password Families, many of these time has been negated entirely, a lot of our customers enjoyed adding their families, coworkers, guests, and more very quickly and very easily compared to what they had before. The ability to automatically create a new vault without having to deal with sharing the password for that vault and to have it instantly show up everywhere for these folks? It is a huge timesaver.

However, some power users can just do it easily and do not consider 1Password memberships to be justified, we understand, which is why we're still offering both options.

The only exception is on Windows, we needed to build a new codebase in 1Password 6 as 1Password 4 wasn't capable of supporting 1Password.com memberships. Since 1Password 4 is available for local vaults, we built a new codebase with 1Password.com membership support first. Now that we're reaching to the point where most of our features are implemented in 1Password 6.7 (_ this 6.x codebase will have its first birthday next month_), we can finally look into adding full support for local vaults in 1Password 7, which would be our first upgrade to 1Password 4.

1Password 6 is not the latest version for local vault/multi-device sync users, that's still 1Password 4. We're working on fixing this with 1Password 7.

• AdrianR
    AdrianR
    Community Member
    edited September 2017
    Options

Ignore!

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi there @AdrianR,

Please let us know if we can help you with 1Password. That is why we are here. :) Thanks!

Cheers,
    Greg

• AdrianR
    AdrianR
    Community Member
    Options

It's OK Greg, no problem with 1Password 4 and Android. My problem was trying to work out how to subscribe to this thread as I'm very interested in v7 permitting local vaults so I can access some of the recent enhancements. Unlike most forums I use there is no obvious subscription button, and bookmarking doesn't achieve the same result. Thought I might see an option to subscribe once I'd posted, but did not...

• @AdrianR: If you're looking to keep up on news about 1Password 7, your best bet is to follow our blog. A brand new version is, of course, Big News™ so I'm sure we'll make a big announcement there. :+1:

• AdrianR
    AdrianR
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, it'll still need me to mentally remember to check in there, though:-) Any chance of setting up an email notification list or a sticky thread for those only wanting updates regarding the v7 release? If hard to miss then it might save you a lot of time responding to queries here!

• mathieu_g
    mathieu_g
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@AdrianR: What you could do to "subscribe to this thread" is to edit your notification preferences in your profile and there tick the email box for "notify me when people comment on discussions I've participated in" :).

• AdrianR
    AdrianR
    Community Member
    Options

@Mathieu_G Ah-hah, so that's where it is! Thanks, Mathieu.

• nickwilsonr
    nickwilsonr
    Community Member
    Options

Also, please let me know if there is any particular reason why you do not want to use your 1Password account. It is much more convenient.

@Greg.. The answer to your question is simple.. Equifax.. THAT is why I have NO interest in putting my passwords in a location that is outside of my own control. With a vault on Dropbox, the worse case is that "they" can get access to a highly encrypted file. On your cloud, even if you guys were at the highest level of PCI compliance (like Equifax was), apparently that's still not enough to protect vital sensitive information. So while I understand that it MAY be "more convenient" (in your opinion), I say thanks but no thanks.. I'd rather have the extra security.

• Hi @nickwilsonr,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, we appreciate it.

The answer to your question is simple.. Equifax..

Regarding Equifax, that is assuming that they were focusing on protecting your data but given their history track of fighting any legislative attempts to protect customers' data further and the qualifications they had for their security head plus not fixing known security bugs on their end systems, I'm not sure they were but I digress. Their priority isn't on the customers, their priority is on collecting data on each "customer" and sharing it. There's a reason that a breach could gain access to all sorts of information on hundreds of millions of Americans and a breach on us would only gain access to encrypted data that is uniquely encrypted to each account with the customer's master password and secret keys that no one outside of the customer would know. That means even if they figure out the master password and secret key to one account, they can't reuse it on another account.

Your data is always encrypted long before touching 1Password.com service and never decrypted outside of the local device. Equifax wasn't encrypting the data, otherwise the breach wouldn't have access to everyone's data that easily.

That's the main difference, our entire job is security, focusing on protecting your data and isolating it. We've been doing this for more than a decade. We have every incentive to protect your data at all costs, if we fail, it would mean the end of us. Equifax will survive despite of this breach.

THAT is why I have NO interest in putting my passwords in a location that is outside of my own control. With a vault on Dropbox, the worse case is that "they" can get access to a highly encrypted file.

The thing is, you don't have control to Dropbox servers either, they have full control and they have encryption keys to your Dropbox account (and everyone else). If they're breached or someone finds the encryption keys, they can access all files as well. You are correct that your 1Password data file is still encrypted even if Dropbox was breached but 1Password.com has Secret Keys involved that Dropbox doesn't.

Our entire 1Password.com infrastructure is built with knowing that we will be constantly attacked and we are paying for anyone to compromise us via our security bounty program and security audits via third party known security firms.

If you want total control to your 1Password data, avoid any sync with the cloud and use Wi-Fi sync or your own internal sync solution.

This discussion has been closed.